Qualifying restructured

Well, I for one am pleasantly surprised, all my negative and dire predictions were in fact - in the light of actual events - clearly positive and in perfect accord with my otherwise sunny and balanced disposition. I absolutely hate it when my predictions are wrong or outlandish. In this matter I feel like I have totally underestimated just how bad things can be, once again I have turned out to be an eternal optimist and a thoroughly well adjusted individual.

Mind you... it's no thanks to F1 and the people who run it. :thinking:

Last edited:
Here is Ecclestone's take on what to do.

Formula 1 set to abandon new qualifying after Australian Grand Prix

"But I wanted to take the results of the last race, and the guy that won that race, would have so many seconds, or tenths of a second, added to his qualifying time."

No, no, no, no, no, no. It's the rules about the cars that is wrong, not qualifying or the race. Let there be a front wing which has to fit in a standard box with only one element which is smaller than the present one, then do some testing to see if that reduces the turbulence to the point where cars can run close together. If that doesn't work put Adrian Newey on developing a system which will work.

At the start of the season all the teams build two cars and then at the start of each race the drivers draw lots to see which car they get? No?

OK, how about after each race the drivers are given a cake which is bigger in size the better they finish. The cake must be eaten by the driver in one hour after the race. Over the course of the season the better drivers will put on weight and slow down. Call it 'Success ballast'

Didn't work for you either?

In that case how about we forget about racing at all and give each driver 100 grand and the winning team is the one whose driver makes the most profit in a season buying and selling cars?

OK, how about after each race the drivers are given a cake which is bigger in size the better they finish. The cake must be eaten by the driver in one hour after the race. Over the course of the season the better drivers will put on weight and slow down. Call it 'Success ballast'

Yeah, but with even this cracking idea, the F1 big wigs would complicate it by introducing a cake selection base on the track, with options including Battenburg, Fairy Cakes with Thomas the Tank engine decorations, Aunty Maude's Fruit Cake or my favorite Strawberry Mirengue, but F1 rules will state if you make crumbs, you'll get a 5 place grid penalty.

It could be a goer....

as brundle said pre qualy if we never changed anything we never have got the knockout qualifying what we had for a decade that was so successful, but my gut feeling during q1 is that i disliked it bt still gave it a chance as palmer rescued Q1 but then we downhill at 200mph because the anti climatic final few mins Q2 were a load of :censored:. as the 2 mins which are usually fantastic were removed & the drivers just getting out of the car because they have no time to do a lap & then i think it couldnt get any worse but Q3 was dreadful basically we 5 mins with 10 cars then nothing few mins of Mercedes then 4 mins of bugger all. now i really hate it, quicker its changed back the better. i was raging at the tv during Q3 absolute :censored: useless

what really annoys me with f1 is that the bosses are blind its unbelievable. shall we combat dirty air so that car can follow each other & not have to drop back because they will lose the tyre life. or cut costs or give more money to the smaller teams so that they arent constantly on the verge of bankruptcy. no lets :censored: up qualifying into a mayhem un followable anti climatic piece of disastrous crap & if bernie had any sense he cut his losses & bin it today.>:(:givemestrength:

i might get of the fence now :)

Last edited:
If that doesn't work put Adrian Newey on developing a system which will work.

I rather like the idea of an aero expert such as Newey(or someone else equally qualified) being hired by the FIA as a consultant to come up with a solution to the overtaking problem. That way there is no conflict of interest in any one team maintaining there advantage. A totally independent expert, making the rules and fixing F1.

If Newey did take on the role he would have to leave Redbull fully of course.

At least Lewis finished his final Q3 lap, when he didn't reslly need to. Not very significant consolation though.
The leading cars on supersofts for the start of the race might be moderately interesting.

How about a 6 minute Q3, any driver who is not within 105% of the pole sitter to get a grid drop of 10 places. Everyone can get a clear lap and there will be an incentive to get all ten cars on the circuit; this means that Q1 and Q2 will have to go back to losing 6 drivers in each session in the old style, none of this knockout nonsense.

Im just amazed that in this meeting at testing (below) the drivers say dont do this. Partically vettel mentioned It will be a disaster, my engineer says this & this will happen who would've thought that was what exactly happened
images.jpeg

Thankfully predictably by tomorrow many news outlets & ted kravitz are reporting it will be confirmed that we back normal by Bahrain. Because the team bosses will be having a big meeting tomorrow to basically say
That was awful wasnt it
Yeah
Shall we scrap it
Yeah

Now I let it sink in, ive got to the point were I can laugh at farcical disaster this morning because they are saying f1 is divided well thry found 1 thing that united 100% of everyone. Also I dont know anyone if watched soccer am probably 10 yrs ago they did a sketch called Yorkshire news . Where newsreader in thick Yorkshire accent would talk about something new & it doesn't go down well. Cut back to newsreader & he'd just say at the end when it all went wrong "change is not good" I can just imagine in the same way

Last edited:
Confirmed....back to the original qualifying format from Bahrain and for the remainder of the season.
Further ideas may be discussed after this season.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom