Qualifying restructured

"The timing system is the responsibility of FOM and not the FIA, and given that the new system had been discussed behind closed doors for some months, the delay reflects a lack of joined-up thinking at the top of the sport."

Too true.

As for software being simple to write as someone who has been involved in several projects both small and large this simply is not true. Software is a complex issue, changes normally produce unexpected results. During the time this is occurring testing has to take place. This is followed by more testing and then installation into a live system which frequently shows up more glitches.

The road to disaster is modifying software. Ask BA.

Well if this system is introduced I for one will expect not to see Mclaren making a mess of things constantly where they've always left it at the last minute to make use of changeable weather conditions in qualifying and looking really stupid

I can see the purpose of this is to keep TV viewers on their edge. I am sure a lot of people ( non Mercedes and losers especially) have been complaining how boring F1 will be this season if there is another Merc walkover has a part to play in this. Hoping we will not get Merc front row lock out and disappear from the rest in the race

Last edited:
Reminds me of the whole 'medals' fiasco a few years back

Good comparison. Another one of Bernies hair-brained schemes confined to the dust-bin in lieu of something a bit more sensible. Instead of the Medals plan they soon made wins worth more proportionally with a new point system.

Likewise, this Quali cockup is a compromise on an even more ridiculous plan that Ecclestones had in mind, Time Ballast.

If this actually does happen in Spain then at least we'll have a direct comparison of the Pro's and Con's.

Nothing stupid surprises me in F1.

Now if they made a sensible, reasonable and considered change to the regulations, that would surprise me. But that ain't never going to 'appen, not ever. :bored:

Last edited:
Yeah id heard that the format that will be used for qualifying in Melbourne remains in the balance. & i quite like the latest idea is of adopting the new elimination format agreed last week for Q1 and Q2 and then go back to the old system for Q3. Because ny problem with that system we wouldnt get the fastest driver just the fastest driver on 6/7 lap old soft tyres

Last edited:
I have read that the drivers are not happy with this idea. So I guess that it will go ahead any time soon.

The drivers consultation ended negatively with them accusing F1 and the "powers that be" of looking unprofessional has forced the hand of the "powers that be". So they were forced to implement their ill conceived and under planned change to the regulations. Situation Normal All Fouled Up.

Is it me, or has no one thought about the fact we'll have every 90 seconds we'll have slow moving cars on the track, whilst everyone is racing round trying to stay in qualifying!

Increase the chances of a similar crash to Webber's in Valencia?

I'm putting a bet on Rio Hyranto being on pole due to no one understanding the rules. We won't find out until 3 hours after the session though as no commentator or pundit will understand it either and all the timings will be down due to software bugs.

Official Qualifying Result Australian Grand Prix 2016:

Error 404 - page not found

Let us not forget how Qualifying Sessions in 2005 started.

The first six races of the 2005 season used a new qualifying format, marking the third year in five with sharply revised qualifying rules. Grid position was determined by aggregate times from two single-lap flying runs, one Saturday afternoon and one Sunday morning. Refueling was allowed after the first qualifying run Saturday; however, the car must have had race fuel for Sunday's qualifying.

I doubt this system can prove as convoluted as that one but if it does they will just tinker with it again.

Back
Top Bottom