Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the Championship unless it all went wrong and then Vettel would be forever known as the man who screwed up Rosberg's championship. Mind you, he would have been a hero to Hamilton's fans.

Dario Resta Then Toto Wolff went back on his promise that the team would not interfere with the driver's races. Considering the maths says Hamilton to win the title must win and Rosberg finish 4th then off course that would be what he wants to retain his title

If this was Schumcher who did it we would be saying what a stroke of genius and clever driving

I'd doubt Vettel would have passed Hamilton seeing how he was able to cover Rosberg by prevent him getting close in DRs range

If Rosberg actually went for it and tried to overtake Hamilton instead of asking the team to make him move over then it would have been more respected and maybe Hamilton would not try that tactic

vintly The tactic to drive away was pointless given the Red Bulls and Ferrari's were not close enough for him to trouble Rosberg so he could tdo that .. the only time he did was when Verstappen was still circulating around on his old set being too close for comfort

What hurts Hamilton is the way Paddy Lowe gave him the instruction to interfere with the race

The race to me today highlights the flaw in the team concept in F1 where the team wanted to win the race but the drivers are only interested in driving for themselves to win the title which you have to understand from a sport spectacle

Of course Lewis had to hope for Nico to finish lower than 3rd, but that does not mean he should deliberately try to get another team's car a better result than his own teammate. Mercedes didn't try to fix the result - they finished 1-2 and Lewis won. What they did stop was Lewis fixing the result in his favour with unsporting tactics.
It is first and foremost a team sport, so what exactly did Mercedes do wrong? No positions were swapped, they finished 1st and 2nd, won the constructors and WDC.
Generally Merc play it pretty fair to their drivers, with the odd exception. I thought the way Nico was treated after his accident with Lewis at Spa was appalling, so I'm pleased he's champion. I'm sure Lewis will come back super strong next season.

Dario Resta They want to hire the best people available but ultimately for them it is a good PR if a German driver was winning in a German car

Think back to when they could have started F1 back carrying No 1 with Button as champ but no they wanted Schumacher who had not driven for 3 years because of the above and they hired Rosberg partly because he happens to be German

Dario Resta What did Hamilton do wrong ? Is it really unsporting tactics to drive slowly and allow other cars to be in between yourself and your nearest rival when that was the only way he could win the title other than ramming Rosberg off and hoping his own car was bulletproof enough to finish?

Jorge Lorenzo did the same thing a few years back in a Moto GP race to get as many bikes between himself and Marc Marquez - none of those riders complained then

Like I said if it was Schumacher who was driving the MErc and pulled it off we would have been lauding his awareness of the situation on track and running a tactically clever race

Spa 2014 was more towards Rosberg's fault given he had really no hope of making the move stick from where he was coming from

Il_leone Mercedes are in F1 to get the best possible results in all the races. They own the team and the drivers are their employees.

What Hamilton did was to purposely try to cause Mercedes to get a worse result than optimum as a direct consequence of his actions. If that happened in 99.9% of jobs the employee would get at least a verbal warning, it is not as though he has not defied valid team orders in the past. If he wants to ensure that he makes all the decisions then he should form his own team.

I have been thinking about this tactic of backing up a competitor into traffic and wondered how I would feel if it was Nico doing it to Lewis. I have to conclude that it's a valid race tactic and no less unsportsmanlike than making it difficult for a competitor to pass. Your job is to win the race and assisting other drivers with their race really isn't in the job description. The team may not like it because they want maximum points but the Manufacturers Championship is done and dusted and a Mercedes driver is guaranteed the WDC so they can just let the boys race.

Bill Boddy Apparently Lewis is looking forward to explaining himself at the management interrogation. I say it many times Senna and Schumacher would have done the same thing and recently Lorenzo tried it in a Moto GP race

It is a valid race tactic but not in the teams eyes but then when there is only two of you who can win the title then you have got to expect it

Lewis is not good at obeying team orders I agree about Hungary 2007 was his fault but no way should he have been given an order to move over in HUngary 2014

.... The team may not like it....

And the team own and run the cars with the drivers being their employees.

If Mercedes were to decide that they did not want Hamilton any more and had the same car advantage as the past three years the could take the following drivers who would be able to help them win the WCC and 1st and 2nd (with Rosberg) in the WDC:

Vettel
Alonso
Ricciardo
Verstappen
Raikonnen
Hulkenburg
Perez
Button
and possibly more.

The teams which Hamilton could win the WDC are:

Mercedes

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Bill Boddy Mercedes could hire any other driver but none would satisfy the desire that to the best they must hire the best drivers available to do so

The best drivers they all would have done the same thing to win the title and it was Hamilton's only option left

Dario Resta What did Hamilton do wrong ? Is it really unsporting tactics to drive slowly and allow other cars to be in between yourself and your nearest rival when that was the only way he could win the title other than ramming Rosberg off and hoping his own car was bulletproof enough to finish?

Jorge Lorenzo did the same thing a few years back in a Moto GP race to get as many bikes between himself and Marc Marquez - none of those riders complained then

Like I said if it was Schumacher who was driving the MErc and pulled it off we would have been lauding his awareness of the situation on track and running a tactically clever race

Spa 2014 was more towards Rosberg's fault given he had really no hope of making the move stick from where he was coming from

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of having a German in the team. We are looking at this from different perspectives. You, as a Lewis / British driver fan are looking at it that he was being denied the chance to defend his title the best way he could. I get that, but it doesn't make it right. I fail to see what Schumacher has to do with this, other than your obvious dislike for the man.

Of course Nico was at fault for Spa, that wasn't the point. Mercedes public humiliation of Nico, with more than a bit of help from Lewis "opinion" on the incident, severely dented Nico's confidence, as the rest of the year's results show.

Backing a rival up into the pack from a different team is one thing, backing your own team mate in to the pack is another scenario. Lewis is a great driver, but I would rather he'd gone out and crushed Nico with a dominant drive and hoped for Nico to stuff up. That would be more the Lewis I respect. Today wasn't the drive of a man I have admiration for as one of the quickest and best of all time.

I have been thinking about this tactic of backing up a competitor into traffic and wondered how I would feel if it was Nico doing it to Lewis. I have to conclude that it's a valid race tactic and no less unsportsmanlike than making it difficult for a competitor to pass. Your job is to win the race and assisting other drivers with their race really isn't in the job description. The team may not like it because they want maximum points but the Manufacturers Championship is done and dusted and a Mercedes driver is guaranteed the WDC so they can just let the boys race.

There is a difference between assisting and hindering. It's valid if it's to a rival team.

Looking at the big picture, I think Lewis winning 2-1 is a fair result. 3-0 would not have been representative of how the drivers have compared in their time at Mercedes.

It'll be 3-1 this time next year so chill Lewis. Look at the big picture. Nico, like Jenson, deserves one.

Hamilton really was stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea. The most likely outcome of this race was a 1-2 in the order Ham / Ros.

Once Hamilton got into the lead there was very little he could do to affect the Championship outcome other than what he did.

Someone posted earlier that Hamilton could have let Nico by and then stuck to his rear wing like glue, hoping to pressure Nico into making a mistake. The trouble with that tactic is that we know how hard a Merc can be on its tyres when being driven aggressively behind another car.

Its a tough one. Hamilton did all that he could of done over the last four races but during that time the eventual outcome was never really in his hands.

How ironic that part of this discussion about team orders and radio messages may not have occured but for Radio Baku mid-season.

It's not a question of dirty tricks or unsporting behaviour, it's part of the game, the team can yell and scream about team orders but employ people who have only one object, the WDC, future contracts depend on the ruthlessness of the driver to attain that title, the team don't care once the shouting is over. The reason why Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton command such large top dollar contracts is that they will fight to the end no matter the odds on the off chance they can pull it off, if you can win by driving slower than your team mate and he can't pass you they deserve all they get, I suspect that had the positions have been reversed there may well have been some round the outside attempts to ensure that being pushed into the pack fail miserably. There is a difference between tactics and using the car a weapon and taking the chance you won't be the loser in a wheel tangling match as a couple of well known perceived greats have used in the past

Back
Top Bottom