Le Mans Le Mans and the WEC

Naked Nissan

Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at 11.18.37.png

Happy memories of the Panoz Roadster-S in the layout and the colour scheme. Last front-engined car to win Le Mans overall would be when...?

The last front engined prototypes I can recall at Le Mans were the Panoz GTR-1s of 1998-1999. They were LOUD and very fast, but were racing against the Audi R8s, which nothing could match.

http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/nissan-regroups-activates-plan-b-for-radical-lmp1-racer

So Nissan is having problems with the radical new car. No surprise, really.

What a contrast this effort presents when compared to current F1:
1) Something really radical is attempted, because more open rules make it possible
2) Testing isn't limited, so such an effort can be worked on enough to, hopefully, make it competitive with more normal designs.

This really will be an interesting Le Mans, maybe even a classic.

I wonder how the costs compare. One of the arguments the teams use in F1 is that unlimited testing and unlimited regulation drives up costs.

I suspect that one of the biggest drivers of cost in F1 is that the rules are so restrictive as to make the "blinding flash of inspiration" all but impossible, so the teams are left spending defense-contract size budgets to find frog hairs of improvement.

There are also customer cars, and rather competitive ones at that, running in the WEC. I would hazard a guess that that would indicate that the costs are MUCH lower to run in the WEC.

I also am not sure how the public exposure of the two series compare.

I really should make the effort to get my ass over there it is something I've always wanted to do, can you imagine wandering around crashing barbies and getting smashed out of your face for a solid twenty four hours and then some?

Back
Top Bottom