Felipe Massa

Brilliant driver on his day but is he championship material?

In 2008 he proved he was but thats only one occassion, plus that season the Ferrari TBH was a bit quicker and won more races that season. In 2009 he nearly suffered a career ending head-injury and since coming to back to the grid he hasn't really shown that promise he did in 2008.

Don't get me wrong he's a driver i very much like, but i do wonder if he'll be a title challenger again for Ferrari season in season out or if he'll stay at Ferrari much longer?

Whats your thoughts on Massa?

Being faster than Alonso and Maldonado all season is the dream, but didn't they look this good in 2009?

I think McLaren are probably quite happy here.

teabagyokel The Williams was genuinely fast at he start of 2009, it was only after teams started to adopt the double diffuser that their advantage was reigned in. As long as they keep on top of the aero that is something that shouldn't happen this season.

I'm looking forward to the Bottas/Massa fight, Massa now has a chance to silence the critics. Personally I don't think there will be a lot in it, with Bottas coming out on top.

With some decent funding, if the rumours are true, hopefully Williams will be able to keep up a decent level of development. It would be wonderful to see them back at the sharp end of the grid consistently.

I was supporting Massa for a win in the latter stages of Canada, then he comes out with comments like this.

courtesy of BBC:
Asked what he will do next time if he tries to pass Perez, Massa said: "I will think twice.

"I have to believe that he will not move his car. And you cannot believe, when somebody is paying so many penalties, and causing so many problems, you cannot believe.

"I will not trust him any more in the car."

I find that quite unfounded and disappointing from Massa, especially with the amount of doubt surrounding where 'blame' lies for the accident.

Two hundred may be "too many" for Felipe. It really is something every week with him now. Still not sure exactly what happened at the start because he got away initially and then nearly ground to a halt. Bottom line is that he should have never been in a position to collide with Raikkonen.

Apparently he has a 3 year contract with Williams so will be racing until the end of 2016. Nice bloke but I'd like to see somone else given a chance after 2015.

There is more than a passing resemblance to their careers, and it just reinforces my own conviction that the biggest difference between the good and the great is purely psychological.

Drivers like Rubens or Massa have the potential and speed. and when they were on it - really on it - could sometimes match the very best.
Did they also have the utter ruthlessness it takes to do it consistently whatever was thrown at them? I don't think so. When confronted with adversity their heads would drop, lap-times suffered, and mistakes increased.

Last edited:
THAT crash may have hampered Massa's performance on the long run. The speed is there and when all the stars are aligned, he can be as dominate as the next F1 super star, however that happens only once in a blue moon.

Felipe is definitely going through a run of bad luck at the moment, unfortunate that's the case with the Williams looking very competitive at the moment, which makes me smile. It's disappointing, though, that he never seems to take too much ownership when an incident is his fault though. The crash last weekend was fifty-fifty at best, taking the normal racing line without giving any room, knowing that people are bound to be looking up the inside, was an amateurish mistake and not the experience that Williams thought they'd bought.

Indeed, although I struggle to see how debris cost him to the tune of 50 seconds to his team-mate.

EDIT: Although Seb Vettel was 50 seconds down on Ricciardo...

Last edited:
His seat at Williams is being looked at by a number of drivers who will sense a possible opening at the end of the season. He has to up his game or speculation could be enough in itself to drive him out of the team.

Right now (and without breaching the swear filter) the words "as much use as a chocolate fire guard" spring to mind.

Back
Top Bottom