Current Daniel Ricciardo

I noticed young Daniel didn't have his own thread so thought I'd give him on as sure he'll be around for a good few years.

Born in 1989 (that makes him 22 before you do the maths) this aussie started karting at the age of 9 and in 2005 entered the Western Australian Formula Ford Championship as a privateer driving a car that was 15 years old at the time and managed to finish 8th. He won a scholarship to compete in Formula BMW Asia the following year. As we all know he eventually became involved in the Red Bull young driver programme after winning the British Formula 3 championship in 2009.

Became Red Bull's test driver and has now stepped up to drive for HRT. Has been really hyped as the next big thing by the Red Bull team and the press. Eddie Jordan described him as a future world champion before he'd even done his first Grand Prix. The truth is though he has not set the world alight at HRT. How can one set the world alight at HRT I hear you ask to which I say - good point! Although he has beaten Liuzzi twice already in the races I believe he needs to get on top of him in quali too. Also he's being beaten by quite a way in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series by both Robert Wickens and Jean-Eric Vergne.

So Ricciardo - future number 1 or going going gone?

Like Lewis Hamilton's frustration with McLaren's continual failures at Singapore 2012 leading to him leaving the team, this may be a similar moment for Ricciardo where he may be thinking he needs to make a change with the team having lost another potential win.

Well Daniel has said he has been screwed two races in a row . He's suppose to have a watertight contract and Red Bull just announced they will continue with Renault

So really Red Bull would not pay Daniel off to leave if their relationship gets worse

Where could Ricciardo go if he left Red Bull? By the end of the season with their upgrades Renault will have an engine close to the Mercedes power unit and with Newey taking advantage of the increased aero allowance RBR could well the best package.

Ferrari have still not delivered on their promise, they are already arguably not as fast as RBR.

He needs to stay where he is and be patient, the wins will come.

Well Ferrari would be a stronger team with Vettel and Ricciardo than Vettel and Raikkonen despite the potential fireworks and it never deters Ferrari that they are willing to pay drivers to get out of their contracts

Mercedes - Rosberg contract is up for renewal and not sure if Mercedes hierarchy want him given they have Wehrlein and Ocon in their driver programme but Ricciardo might also be considered

Red Bull - I've never seen Daniel so close to blowing a fuse he's easily an upbeat kind of guy ... yesterday was absolute shambolic by Red Bull reminds me of the Ferrari pitstop Nurburgring 1999 when they did not have Eddie Irvine's tyre ready

So will Christian Horner be sacked for such shambolic management? Apparently his tyres were trapped at the back of the garage

Then again go back to 2011 - Red Bull had the wrong tyres for Vettel at Monaco and he won the race because the race was stopped in time before the cliff was reached.

If there is one place where mistakes are magnified and punished its Monaco

For Daniel it feels like the forces are against him at Red Bull and for Max Verstappen to succeed

He's signed a contract but I wonder if how much more he could take of this ?

Last edited:
I don't imagine that Verstappen is that popular at Red Bull at the moment. Three times into the wall in one weekend! That just proves how inexperienced he really is.
If anything I imagine that the team are mortified by their screw up, they lost the race, no team wants to do that. Daniel may be angry and with some justification, but he's not stupid. I would imagine that the team will be doing everything they can to sooth his ruffled feathers.

Ricciardo needs a few days to calm and regroup himself for the next race but he must ask himself "I've driven my balls off in two races where I could have won both and the team have made some questionable pit calls"

Yes Red Bull is a good option for a competitive seat given they have Renault engines and the chassis will be very good but if you feel the team is not behind you then there comes a point where you think I don't need to fight within the team as well as the opposition as well

The key will be is if Ferrari decide to come in and offer mega bucks for Ricciardo and what he will do?

With a view towards 2017 and the additional aero being introduced, Danny would be crazy to leave Red Bull. The engine is coming good and it looks like RBR are ready to put Ferrari behind them.

Plus, Ricciardo already dusted off Vettel. We all know Seb's no slouch and things may be different the next time around. Not sure he would really want to seek out that partnership.

KekeTheKing Vettel might not like it but Ferrari need to get rid of Raikkonen and find a driver who can push them and Vettel to the front and at the moment Ricciardo fits the bill

Ricciardo has got Italian descendants which might be a good enough reason with some quarters in Maranello

On paper Red Bull with Renault engine appears a better choice but any more screw ups would be very hard to take for Daniel and he would move on

Back
Top Bottom