Current Daniel Ricciardo

I noticed young Daniel didn't have his own thread so thought I'd give him on as sure he'll be around for a good few years.

Born in 1989 (that makes him 22 before you do the maths) this aussie started karting at the age of 9 and in 2005 entered the Western Australian Formula Ford Championship as a privateer driving a car that was 15 years old at the time and managed to finish 8th. He won a scholarship to compete in Formula BMW Asia the following year. As we all know he eventually became involved in the Red Bull young driver programme after winning the British Formula 3 championship in 2009.

Became Red Bull's test driver and has now stepped up to drive for HRT. Has been really hyped as the next big thing by the Red Bull team and the press. Eddie Jordan described him as a future world champion before he'd even done his first Grand Prix. The truth is though he has not set the world alight at HRT. How can one set the world alight at HRT I hear you ask to which I say - good point! Although he has beaten Liuzzi twice already in the races I believe he needs to get on top of him in quali too. Also he's being beaten by quite a way in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series by both Robert Wickens and Jean-Eric Vergne.

So Ricciardo - future number 1 or going going gone?

I can't see Ricciardo going to Ferrari. Vettel is having a hard time this year which should put any perspective drivers off just in terms of potential performance next year. On top of that, would Vettel want to have Ricciardo in the other car? I would imagine he'd certainly try and block that signing.

cider_and_toast Vettel can try and block the signing but it is clear his partnership with Raikkonen is not delivering the results so as Ferrari boss what would you do ? Put your faith in Vettel or get another top line driver to compete against Mercedes ?

I think the former is looking a bit shaky judging by Vettel's performances so far

Il_leone the first thing I would do as the boss of Ferrari is relocate the entire team to the site of the old Ensign F1 team which is about 15 minutes drive from where I live. It would make getting to work easier.

As for the drivers, I'd put Carlos Sainz in there. He's obviously quick, will keep Vettel on his toes and shouldn't upset the balance of the team. Of course Ferrari don't work like that. Only twice in their history have they had drivers who have managed to get the team fully behind them and go on to achieve massive success, Schumacher obviously and Lauda. That's what Seb needs to do. Having Ricciardo would not help that.

You'd certainly back Vettel over Raikkonen - he's significantly younger and has achieved significantly more.

Ferrari could benefit from hiring Ricciardo only if Vettel takes the hump and leaves.

Last edited:
Yes Red Bull appears the more competitive chassis and car as well but anymore screw ups how do you expect Ricciardo to not belief that there is a conspiracy against him and they really want Max Verstappen to succeed

Vettel may not like Ricciardo as his teammate but if he can push him and keep him on his toes. That is what Ferrari need right ?

And a nice opportunity for Danny to be seen doing something outside of the context of Red Bull which may sting a little back at base.

It's a shame the car wasn't part of the Williams collection Il_leone. It belongs to a private owner who runs the car in classic F1 races.

Screen Shot 2016-06-03 at 14.51.13.png

A lot has been said about his team-mate. Ricciardo is looking very good in comparison at the moment. He has not been beaten by Verstappen since the British Grand Prix. Ricciardo is now also 34 points up on Verstappen over the time both have been at Red Bull Racing!
Ava.png

To be fair, Verstappen is only 12.

EDIT: Both evidently worse than Karthikeyan though:

To do that he needs a 16th place finish to beat Narain's 2 17th places in Monoco and Canada. I'd be preying for a wet race to help you out Danial otherwise the 'Beaten by Karthikeyan' stat is gonna follow you around whatever you do!

and now Mr Ricciardo has the Kartikeyan stain on his name for the rest of his career. Danial has not set the world alight has he? Has he stuffed his chance of a Toro Rosso seat up? Would you take him over Buemi or Alguersauri?

ROFL

Last edited:
RasputinLives - You do have a tendency for prediction! (I just checked page 1 of this thread to find that one.)

I doubt Ricciardo's 27th position in the 2011 Drivers' Championship for HRT will become his defining feature. Obviously, by championship positions, he's better than Seb Vettel but worse than Narain Karthikeyan. Which is quite something.

Back
Top Bottom