Current Daniel Ricciardo

I noticed young Daniel didn't have his own thread so thought I'd give him on as sure he'll be around for a good few years.

Born in 1989 (that makes him 22 before you do the maths) this aussie started karting at the age of 9 and in 2005 entered the Western Australian Formula Ford Championship as a privateer driving a car that was 15 years old at the time and managed to finish 8th. He won a scholarship to compete in Formula BMW Asia the following year. As we all know he eventually became involved in the Red Bull young driver programme after winning the British Formula 3 championship in 2009.

Became Red Bull's test driver and has now stepped up to drive for HRT. Has been really hyped as the next big thing by the Red Bull team and the press. Eddie Jordan described him as a future world champion before he'd even done his first Grand Prix. The truth is though he has not set the world alight at HRT. How can one set the world alight at HRT I hear you ask to which I say - good point! Although he has beaten Liuzzi twice already in the races I believe he needs to get on top of him in quali too. Also he's being beaten by quite a way in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series by both Robert Wickens and Jean-Eric Vergne.

So Ricciardo - future number 1 or going going gone?

Well this season is two races old and in the first race Danny Ric's car bodged up and he ended up starting a lap down. So in reality we're talking about one race.

Never underestimate PR - you only have to look at how Verstappen got the F1 drive in the first place to see it at work. It comes from having a dad in the business. I'm not taking anything away from his talent but let's not pretend he hasn't got where he is without a good marketing team behind him. Every Driver has one. His is just pretty amazing. Reminds me of the team behind Tony Blair and New Labour back in the day. Complete game changer.

He created the PR for himself by coming into Formula sports and being at the front at the age of 15 and no previous experience in the category. No doubt some strings were pulled to get him into the Red Bull cockpit but they wanted him desperately even more than Mercedes because that's the image that Red Bull promotes, that they produce and foster young talent.
Furthermore his racing is spectacular and he is more prominent due to being in a front running car which is why he often earns himself the title of DotD.

Last edited:
22858922.jpg

Ricciardo has never won a race when he has qualified in the top 3, and he has never won a race when he qualified ahead of his teammate.
He has to up his game though, Verstappen is performing better than him this season.
I'd much rather see Sainz in the next to Verstappen anyway.

Max is off to Merc and Danny Ric is miles ahead of Verstappen in the championship now so Don't think he's too worried.

Back
Top Bottom