Current Carlos Sainz

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by RasputinLives, Nov 30, 2014.

1. FB

FB Not my cup of cake Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    There is some history with French teams only wanting French drivers, albeit back in the 80's, as both Ligier and Renault only chose Frenchmen for many years.

Il_leone likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    Renault back in the 80's had been running French drivers mostly but that was probably helped by fundng and development of French drivers from the 70's and 80's that allowed them to do it . In the 00's its because they let Flav do his own thing which in the end turned into a big mistake

I just don't see Sainz staying at Toro Rosso so you're looking at Renault , Mclaren and probably unlikely Ferrari all trying to sign him

4. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I know we are straying off topic but it was the Elf motor racing school which gave us a slew of French drivers in the 70's and 80's. BP used to do the same in the UK. Here is the French "mafia"

[​IMG]

In case any of you are confused, the bloke with the 'tache behind Prost is Bernard Bakalian who was/is is personal photographer.

5. RasputinLives

RasputinLives Happy to be me again Contributor

Featured Threads:
    How many of those guys wives do you reckon Prost slept with? ;)

teabagyokel likes this.
  6. Incubus

Incubus Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives actually I remember reading an interview of him a few months ago at some event or other when that particular subject came up. He didn't deny any of the various rumours but instead just sreflected that "the media in France didn't handle it very well at the time"!?... ROFL

teabagyokel and RasputinLives like this.
  7. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    No Frenchman would ever deny such salacious rumours. It would ruin his image. C'est la vie!

Andyoak, Road of Bones and Galahad like this.
  8. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    So the 'wisdom' in the media is that Sainz will be loaned to Renault next year in exchange for Torro Rosso switching to Honda engines.

I Don't get this. How does the conversation go.

Torro Rosso: We Don't really want to switch to Honda but it's good for the sport and might be a good gamble so go on then.

Renault: OK. Well we Don't really want to supply Mclaren either so as payment for making us, and taking an engine you Don't want, you need to give us your best driver.

Torro Rosso: Well that seems like a good deal!

Bill Boddy likes this.
  9. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    I think the decision was more determined by Red Bull not Toro Rosso ( Helmut Marko , Christian Horner and in agreement with Franz Tost ) . It makes sense for both parties... Red Bull/ Toro Rosso get another of their drivers on the grid probably Gasly and Renault have one of the best upcoming drivers.

It can work so that Red Bull will promote Sainz if either of their current two move on or Sainz is going to be committed to Renault long term potentially

10. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I got the impression Red Bull Weren't too fussed about getting Gasly on the grid. I Don't think they rate him.

11. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #dejavu Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    So if it's not going to be Kvyat/Gasly, what will they go for? Kvyat/Galael?

12. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Oh it will be Gasly but I doubt Red Bull brokered the deal of Sainz to Renault in order to get Gasly on the grid. I think they would have much rather kept Sainz. This is something thrust upon them.

Everyone seems to do with Honda engines but what if it's to keep Renault engines for Torro Rosso? That makes more sense to me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  13. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    if they dont rate Gasly thats 1 thing which i find very strange being reigning Gp2 champion. 2nd in FR3.5 losing out only to Sainz we all know how highly rated he is & 2nd currently in super formula with brilliant chance to win championship is 1 thing. but if they overlook Gasly for Gelael a guy who ive watched in F2 last 2 years is so slow he makes Hayarnto look like Vettel. then head of red bull youth driver programme needs sacking & then sectioning

14. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    RasputinLives Having spoken not so highly of him Gasly won his last race so he is getting notice again. Promoting Gelael makes no sense unless it was about the money. It would be something unusual by Red Bull not to consider promoting a GP2 champion

The Sainz situation meets all parties requirements

Sainz wants to move to a more competitive team
    Renault wanted him so that is a tick
    Red Bull managed to offload the Renault engine for a Honda engine to size up its potential I think they will make better fist of it if Adrian Newey is going to be more involved
    They can see if Sainz is ready to promote to Red Bull if he shows well at Renault

Toro Rosso - the team carries on Red Bull's tradition in promoting its young drivers and they will have the worst young driver pairing for a while. If Kyvat does not perform he's finished , if Gasly fails to beat Kyvat then his chances to Red Bull gets reduced

15. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Will be very interesting to see how Carlos stacks up against the Hülk.

16. FB

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Fantasy F1 Rival:
    FF1 Rival
    I suspect it might be a bit closer between them compared to Nico and Jolyon :snigger:

17. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Race Winner

Featured Threads:
    im not sure who would win that & im 1 of hulkenburgs biggest fans going back to his a1gp days

gethinceri likes this.
  18. The Pits

The Pits Harumph. Again. Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I think Carlos will perform a Hulk smash.

19. gethinceri

gethinceri Daniil Kvyat Fan. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    I've also been a big fan of Hulkenberg since A1 GP, sadly he's never fulfilled my ambition for him. He's been wildly erratic and perhaps that's why he's never had a top drive.

20. Titch

Titch Smile Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    I'm a bit of a Sainze fan.

Should I say that.

:(

21. Il_leone

Il_leone Champion Elect

Featured Threads:
    gethinceri Erratic is probably not the word but inconsistent and certainly lacks the financial backing to say he is better than drivers who bring a bit of money but Hulkenberg has not been pushed enough by Palmer this year

Perhaps next season he will be pushed hard by Sainz to elevate him to the next level

Share This

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice