Grand Prix 2015 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Out of the ashes of World War II came a lot of military installations scarcely needed now blowing up enemies was not a priority. Well not so much of a priority.

Silverstone airfield on the Bucks/Northants border was such an installation. With Brooklands going the other way - a victim of the Luftwaffe - British motorsport needed a new home. Today Silverstone has evident primacy over Brands, Donington and the Top Gear test track.

Its corners are famous - Copse relegated from Turn 1 status but unbowed, Abbey renewed, Stowe tricky, Luffield frustrating, Maggots/Becketts flowing.

F1 is scarcely in rude health, with implausible grid penalties adding to its promoter describing it as "crap". What it really needs is barnstormers. And this one's on the BBC, so some people might chance upon it!

Hamilton inherited a sketchy win from Rosberg last year, just as Rosberg had profited from Hamilton and Vettel losing out in 2013. This year, you suspect there'll be Mercedes again to the fore.

It'll be windy. It might be wet. Good ol' Silverstone.

It has been an odd day. Rosberg, who was fastest early on, stopped, then Hamilton took over with times well below the opposition. He was chased by Verstappen, Raikkonen, Sainz and Vettel ahead of the two Red Bulls; that order is not totally usual. Then at the end of the session Rosberg's car repair was completed, the came out, did a warm up lap, then a lap which just put him fastest, followed by another which was even quicker.

Then in the afternoon normality was restored at the top with Hamilton ahead of Rosberg. When they went onto the option tyres (medium) Rosberg immediately went fastest followed by Vettel and Hamilton. As more drivers did their fast laps the leaders were followed by Kvyat, Verstappen, Hulkenberg, Sainz and Massa. Meanwhile Grosjean had gone off into the grave, his car had to be transported back to the pits where he was given cleaning duties, spending much of the remaining time polishing everything in sight (who said F1 and cleaning were boring?). Then with half an hour to go and a long time after the other drivers Raikkonen did his fast stint moving up into second place just three and a half tenths off Rosberg.

The long run session was under way and not all was well with Hamilton. When Mercedes told him that he needed to go quicker he replied that he simply couldn't. Merhi then caused a red flag by going into the same gravel that Grosjean (and Alonso, but he got out) had done. Before all the cars had got back into the pits Merhi had recovered and was driving round the circuit. So after one of the shortest red flags ever off they went again except for Hamilton who got out of his car only to get back in six minutes later, the team had not touched his car but he came back into the garage, got into it and off he went again for the final six minutes or so.

In all are slightly surprising day but as the season goes on it seems to me that the drivers do fewer and fewer laps. Cue for someone to come out with stats that show how wrong I am.

Rosberg, Raikkonen, Vettel, Kvyat, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Hukkenburg, Sainz, Massa, Maldonado, Bottas, Peres, Grosjean, Alonso, Nasr, Button, Ericsson, Stevens, Merhi

I can't believe Stevens finished FP1 around 1 tenth slower than Button. Are the McLarens really that shit? I know they went quicker in P2 but even so...

Its looking pretty bad at the moment because looks like Lewis has gone quite far off with set up, rosberg on the long run in 38's &; yet heres Lewis on radio saying he's on limit in the 39"s

In the immortal words of Sgt Major Shut up.

"Oh dear, how sad, never mind."

Maybe he is suffering from missing that testing session in Austria..

Last edited:
Monsoon rain and thunderstorms over night for the campers. Why does it always happen on a Silverstone weekend. Been there done that, I feel their pain. :)

I just can't help thinking the hand of Bernie is playing a part in Lewis's sudden loss of form and a more competitive drivers championship. That's a ridiculous thought isn't it? Mind you if this really was happening I'd expect Ferrari to be doing better.
Seb to win the British GP?

Well, what an improvement from Mercedes after all the "trouble" they were in yesterday!

Alternatively, all that 'trouble' Mercedes were in yesterday proves to be more sand-bagging bullshit?

Right I'm off down the pub - skipping quali because I already know the answer..... and the result

9 turn troubles:
CJD7ywpW8AA_f73.jpg

Back
Top Bottom