Grand Prix 2015 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Out of the ashes of World War II came a lot of military installations scarcely needed now blowing up enemies was not a priority. Well not so much of a priority.

Silverstone airfield on the Bucks/Northants border was such an installation. With Brooklands going the other way - a victim of the Luftwaffe - British motorsport needed a new home. Today Silverstone has evident primacy over Brands, Donington and the Top Gear test track.

Its corners are famous - Copse relegated from Turn 1 status but unbowed, Abbey renewed, Stowe tricky, Luffield frustrating, Maggots/Becketts flowing.

F1 is scarcely in rude health, with implausible grid penalties adding to its promoter describing it as "crap". What it really needs is barnstormers. And this one's on the BBC, so some people might chance upon it!

Hamilton inherited a sketchy win from Rosberg last year, just as Rosberg had profited from Hamilton and Vettel losing out in 2013. This year, you suspect there'll be Mercedes again to the fore.

It'll be windy. It might be wet. Good ol' Silverstone.

Mclaren and particularly missed an opportunity getting taken out early as he would have shone through in the damp conditions

I'm a little bemused by some of the negativity surrounding F1 at the moment. Sure, everything's isn't perfect, but has it ever been? Having just returned from Silverstone I have to say I had a FANTASTIC weekend. Yes my man won, but had he not won, I would still have had a fantastic weekend. the Mercedes were challenged, the result was not a foregone conclusion. There was action throughout, it was edge of the seat stuff. I watched the rain coming in from the west of the circuit, apparantly it was also approaching from the north, yet in Village where I say it was still dry...then spitting. The choice of when to take inters was so marginal. And just as Lewis chose to do so we saw the rain pouring down at Stowe. A lap earlier or a lap later and the result may have differed. No rain at all, the Williams would have factored.
First lap it was difficult to know where to look. I was watching the screen and the first four cars, when just in front of my grandstand Maldonado ( I later discovered) triggered a four car incident with Buttons car going out. A few laps later and Verstappen was off in front of us too.
kimi flattered to deceive. Alonso was heroic ( but the Honda engine I have to confess sounded evil)
And it was sunny!
And140 thousand people had a great time! Well done Silverstone, race of the year!

Last edited:
With regards to the fake pit stop, I would imagine that someone at the FIA will say they didn't get a report from the stewards. Williams won't say a dicky bird because they don't want to upset their engine supplier and the whole matter will be cleared up between Toto and his little snookems over a tea and muffins at the breakfast table.

I'm a little bemused by some of the negativity surrounding F1 at the moment. Sure, everything's isn't perfect, but has it ever been? Having just returned from Silverstone I have to say I had a FANTASTIC weekend.

The important factor there is that you were actually at the circuit, surrounded by people excited to be there, and excited by the fact other people were excited. It's a lot harder to be positive about F1 when you're stuck at home without throngs of excited people to make it more fun. You're saying the same thing as some of the big-name pundits, and both of you miss the point that the majority of people don't have the time/money to go to races and enjoy them in person.

140,000 is a lot of people. The British GP competes with Glastonbury for the attendance figures, and Glastonbury gets a lot more attention in the media. I am proud that many people are willing to stick up for F1, despite the negativity.

I believe that Bottas initially asked for Massa to be told to let him through as he felt he was faster. The team told him to hold tight and concentrate on the pair of them pulling away from the Mercs. When it became clear that the Mercs were up their chuffs and that Massa didn't have the legs to pull away, they told Bottas to go for it but make it clean.

I think you can forgive Hamilton's attempt at the restart. Sirotkin pulled exactly the same move on Stanaway at the restart in GP2 yesterday and won the race. Granted, Stanaway didn't seem to know the rules and didn't defend hard enough, but Lewis wasn't far off making it stick. Maybe he thought it was his best chance.
I'd rather see a driver try and fail than not try at all.

I completely agree with you guys in that the bravery used in trying such a move is both honorable and exciting to see from a fan's point of view. The move very well could have worked (maybe I was a bit harsh there in my original post), but surely a better opportunity would have presented itself in the next few laps. Hamilton was, of course, driving a better car.

I completely agree with you guys in that the bravery used in trying such a move is both honorable and exciting to see from a fan's point of view. The move very well could have worked (maybe I was a bit harsh there in my original post), but surely a better opportunity would have presented itself in the next few laps. Hamilton was, of course, driving a better car.
The best opportunity to make up places is at a start or restart, before the driver in front has a chance to settle into a rhythm . lewis knows this and will always go for it. It didn't work this times and he lost out, but it could have, it almost did. And he got Bottas earlier by moving quickly. Remember how many places he made up last year on the first lap when he qualified badly? There may be some occasions when biding your time pays off but I think most times it pays to move quickly. Look how long Rosberg was stuck behind the Williams biding his time.

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of that today. I keep thinking, the old warning that 'one swallow does not make a summer' applies particularly well in this case.

Yes it was a breath of fresh air after some dull races, yes it was well attended and there were a number of positive points to take away from the weekend but, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

But the drivers will be operating the clutch without any automated help. But the run down to the first corner isn't long enough for anyone to make up places unless the drivers in front are reeeeaaaaly slow.

Back
Top Bottom