Grand Prix 2015 British Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Out of the ashes of World War II came a lot of military installations scarcely needed now blowing up enemies was not a priority. Well not so much of a priority.

Silverstone airfield on the Bucks/Northants border was such an installation. With Brooklands going the other way - a victim of the Luftwaffe - British motorsport needed a new home. Today Silverstone has evident primacy over Brands, Donington and the Top Gear test track.

Its corners are famous - Copse relegated from Turn 1 status but unbowed, Abbey renewed, Stowe tricky, Luffield frustrating, Maggots/Becketts flowing.

F1 is scarcely in rude health, with implausible grid penalties adding to its promoter describing it as "crap". What it really needs is barnstormers. And this one's on the BBC, so some people might chance upon it!

Hamilton inherited a sketchy win from Rosberg last year, just as Rosberg had profited from Hamilton and Vettel losing out in 2013. This year, you suspect there'll be Mercedes again to the fore.

It'll be windy. It might be wet. Good ol' Silverstone.

This is how Lotus got on...

british-gp-lotus.jpg

easily best race of the season before the rain turned up (even though we've low standards) massa had the start of his life like a rocket ship although might sound harsh but Williams were their worst enemy they say "we haven't forgotten how to winning statergy despite time In wilderness" but im doubting that because in there 3 big chances theyve cocked it up. Im not saying use team orders Williams shouldve said dont fight bottas if he attempts a pass because bottas was miles quicker & massa blocking him & I believe bottas wouldve lead that grand prix after 1st rd of dry pitstops also they let Lewis have the undercut.

But what a drive from Lewis I honestly thought he was goner towards end nico 2secs quicker & rain not looking heavy enough for inters & had head in hands when he gambled on inters but couldnt have been more wrong amazing call

One thing which appears to have been overlooked is Mercedes' fake pit stop, which was designed to make Williams question their own strategy and pit early.

I thought it was against the rules to send mechanics out into the pit lane if there is no intention to pit?

Edit: Maybe not. Seems sufficiently vague to allow them to get away with it.
23.11 Team personnel are only allowed in the pit lane immediately before they are required to work on a car and must withdraw as soon as the work is complete.
The FIA have now clamped down on this and issued a directive.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-warned-over-fake-pitstops-after-mercedes-trick

Its funny but I thought they'd clamped down on this 10 years ago hence the rule being put in place. How can you clamp down on a rule you've already set? What they mean is "errmm what do we do! What do we do! Quick issue some press statement saying down with this sort of thing"

If they wanted to enforce it then its simple. Noone in the pit lane until the car is on pit entry. If you do it before that then 5 second time penalty for each car.

They don't actually want to enforce it though.

Last edited:
Indeed.

I too thought it was banned and it was even mentioned a few times in the previous seasons.

What an odd way to run a sport.

WEC much closer to qualifying speeds, but I think at least some of that can be attributed to the rain. F1 cars never got any dry, low fuel laps in during the race.

Back
Top Bottom