WRC 2012

Bad news for WRC fans.No TV deal with Eurosport.And Mini hung out to dry.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97313 Negotiations between the FIA and Eurosport for the promotion of the World Rally Championship have broken down and international television coverage of next week's Rally Sweden appears unlikely.
The FIA issued a statement this evening confirming it has withdrawn from negotiations and will begin discussions with other interested parties.
The statement said: "The FIA regrets to announce it has not proven possible to find an international promoter as well as a global broadcaster for the 2012 World Rally Championship season at this stage in time

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97312
A resolution to the ongoing situation between the BMW Group and Prodrive is expected early next week, when the Banbury firm is reportedly going to be told that its contract to build Mini John Cooper Works WRCs is terminated.
As reported by AUTOSPORT on Thursday, the BMW Group's decision is believed to have been taken to split from Prodrive. That decision is expected to be communicated to the company responsible for the development and build of the Mini either on Friday or early next week.
AUTOSPORT's sources have reported that a meeting of Prodrive staff has been convened for Monday morning.

Jeez the WRC is frustrating. Just when you think its on the upturn something comes along and nobbles it. Although admittedly 80% of it is there own fault.

Seems like a long time ago now i was watching Gronholm, McRae, Burns, Solberg duking it out with a full "grid" of WRC cars. jeez even Loeb wasn't around then still going round in a Citroen Saxo

I had a sudden dawning realisation (as you do at 2am) that I've seen bugger all WRC this year - reading the above comments I now know why :(

Might be different next year.Red Bull take over as promoter.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/101750 Red Bull is set to be announced as the new promoter of the World Rally Championship, AUTOSPORT understands.
The FIA, the sport's ruling body, opened a tender to find a new promoter for the WRC in February after the previous promoter, North One Sport, had its contract terminated when its parent company CSI went into administration.
Red Bull Media House was one of three candidates that had been shortlisted by the FIA for the role. The other two were a South African partnership and Eurosport.
The WRC manufacturers, teams and stakeholders were told about the deal during Rally Finland earlier this month.

So there was a lot of WRC action at the Paris Autoshow and many manufacturers saying they are willing to be back in the WRC. However, I kept reading on the R5 regulation, but I have no idea what that is nor can I find much information on it. I am only now getting into rally (just paying attention these last three seasons) and am curious on where the sport is going and what this new regulation is. Any explanation would be appreciated!

The R5 is a new category of car aimed at the junior drivers, privateers and regional rally championships like Europe and Asia-Pacific. The current Super 2000 regulations are thought to be too expensive, so R5 uses more standard parts and is less technologically sophisticated. The cars will still be 1.6 litre turbocharged and four-wheel drive, but they won't be fast enough to compete with the top category WRC cars.

Hopefully it will encourage more manufacturers to get involved in a low-cost way before building their own WRC cars. It should also, hopefully, allow more young and talented drivers the chance to compete without needing to find hundreds of thousands of euros.

That surely has to be the best record in any category of motor sport.

Sadly I read that he won't be doing a full season next year so that will probably be his last.

It is an incredible achievement, and I'm sure by far the best record in any international motorsport series. He's been, for me, the best driver in any category of racing for the past decade bar none.

There are rumours of Citroen entering the WTCC and entering him in that, in which case there may be more world championships in the offing. He's also got a second position at Le Mans under his belt, so the world championship of sportscars might not be out of the question either (though contractually more problematic without Peugeot, of course).

Galahad,

I have to agree with your assessment of him being the best. For me, the only one that comes close is Tom Kristensen. Both are dominant figures in their form of racing

That surely has to be the best record in any category of motor sport.

Sadly I read that he won't be doing a full season next year so that will probably be his last.

I like to see drivers (or all athletes in general) leave when they are on top. I don't like to see guys hang around too long and be a non-factor anymore.

So, I haven't been keeping up with the news lately (evidently) but I see that Ford are pulling their manufacturer support at the end of this season. Are they stark raving mad? Surely the whole point of following Loeb and Citroen around for the past decade was to be there to pick up the titles when the French team got bored, as inevitably they would?

There's a lot that can happen before the start of next season, of course, and M-Sport might be able to keep the Fiesta competitive running as a private operation on a reduced budget. But at this early stage, my money would be on Sebastien Ogier to win in the VW Polo's WRC debut season.

Feel sorry for the WRC, especially when they had only 2 manufacturers and one guy dominating.

Kind of still is the case, but with 1 more manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom