Would you race in Bahrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GP2 Asia race has been cancelled...

“Following the current events in Bahrain, at the request of the Bahrain Motorsport Federation, it has been decided that the remainder of the meeting which was supposed to take place this week at Bahrain International Circuit is cancelled due to force majeure.”

http://gp2series.com/News-Room/News/2011/02_Feb/2011-GP2-Asia-Series-Round-2-cancelled/

The BBC aren't quite up to date however:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9400392.stm

If the FIA and FOM don't cancel the event they are mad. Is Kyalami still listed as and F1 track? If it is why don't they go there?

If the FIA and FOM don't cancel the event they are mad. Is Kyalami still listed as and F1 track? If it is why don't they go there?

I don't think Kyalami still has the required circuit licence - the expectations have increased quite a bit since 1993. Pretty sure Losail (Qatar) and Dubai would be Grade A standard, but a bit of a risk moving the race to either of those at short notice.

Yep, not easy logistics - there's a bbc article now including some chat from one of the Virgin guys, saying that it would be pretty much impossible to change venue at such short notice as most/all of the teams ship a whole load of gear by sea, which is already en route.

J

(EDIT: I now see that Snowy actually linked the same article above)

If a reserve event is set up I hope it's not the spare German race because I don't think anyone wants two races in one country, hopefully Magny-Cours would get it as France should have a place on the calendar even if there are no French drivers.

If a reserve event is set up I hope it's not the spare German race because I don't think anyone wants two races in one country, hopefully Magny-Cours would get it as France should have a place on the calendar even if there are no French drivers.

I think that will be corrected by next year with either (or both) Jules Bianchi and Romain Grosjean in F1. I miss the late 70s and early 80s when there were seemingly dozens of really talented and mercurial French drivers in F1 like Depailler, Arnoux, Jarier, Pironi, Jabouille and Lafitte. It was kind of ironic that as soon as they got a World Champion (Prost) the pool of French talent seemed to dry up... pouf!

The logical thing to do (if committed to a 20 race calendar) is move race 1 to Yas Marina and then fix up somewhere for race 19.

That is the logical thing to do, so expect it to not happen!

If "stuff" is arriving by sea, then the boats have to go past Abu Dhabi to reach Bahrain - so why not do Abu first and then, maybe, Bahrain at a later stage, once the military are back in charge (can't believe I just said that!).

So, basically, the two venues exchange spots on the calendar.

Totally selfish - I am psyched up for a race at the beginning of March.

So, basically, the two venues exchange spots on the calendar.
Ha! That wouldn't float well with the people at Abu Dhabi becuase I seem to remember one of them said they liked the 'prestige' of holding the race most likely to decide the titles.

The worrying thing I see here is that the GP2 race was cancelled through "force majeure", a legal term that basically boils down to "out of the organisers' control". Not being party to any F1 contracts I can't be sure, but I suspect that there are clauses in most contracts to say that if the cancellation is by force majeure then nobody is liable for anybody else's losses. In other words, everybody gets paid and the public (inlcuding TV companies) don't get their money back. There would therefore be no incentive for anyone to organise a replacement race, as actually this would end up costing more money.

I hope that they do get it together to put on something for the fans, but I'm not holding my breath.

Perhaps they'll get invited to the floggings?
spank.gif

Just heard on the news this morning that if the Bahrain race is cancelled, re-scheduling a race in it's place at this late stage has been described as "un-realistic".

I guess we'll get a good feel for it the race is going to take place if the final test of the season gets cancelled in Bahrain.

Bahrain getting cancelled isn't a great loss to F1

If they run the race with the protests, it will be the biggest mistake in the sports history

The F1 GP will be a magnet for protests.Look at the banners the protesters are waving.Many of them are in English.
Bahrain is an Arabic speaking nation.The protesters are using the TV coverage to carry their voices to the whole world.

There are reports of the Bahrain authorities executing protesters and beating up surgeons for operating on injured protesters. If true the Bahrain Royal family have made up their minds that they are not going to go quietly into the night. So this unrest isn't going to end any time soon.

There are reports of the Bahrain authorities executing protesters and beating up surgeons for operating on injured protesters. If true the Bahrain Royal family have made up their minds that they are not going to go quietly into the night. So this unrest isn't going to end any time soon.

If those reports are true then the situtation in Bahrain is going to spiral out of control and many more people are going to be killed or injured. Sadly, these "velvet" revolutions are turning nasty.

The Bahrain Royal family have seen what happened to Mubarak. They know the only way they'll win is if they keep the army and police fighting so they don't get time to think whose side they might be on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom