Poll Who thinks that the Hamilton grid penalty is not the right grid penalty?

Who thinks the Hamilton grid penalty is not the right penalty?

• The current penalty is appropriate

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • It would be more appropriate to have a 5 place grid penalty

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • It would be more appropriate to exclude Q3 timings

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • It would be more appropriate to leave his time as is because it is a team mistake

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • It would be more appropriate to remove his final lap which was on low fuel

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • There is another more appropriate penalty

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the ill feeling towards Hamilton remains for the large part.
That was plain to see when he stopped on the track today and is evident throughout many forums and comments on the internet.

Still, like I said, that's a discussion for another thread (although it's something I've never personally understood).

Appropriate or not, the penalty has been applied. Disappointment and/or frustration with the fact will not change it. Let us enjoy the prospect that the usual Catalonian procession might possibly be enlivened by a spirited charge through the field...provided he doesn't fall foul of a dawdling HRT or Marussia, that is (and we'll not even mention Massa...)!
And not just by Lewis but also Webber, Button and Seb as well all I want is a great race nothing more nothing less the rest is just semantics..

A Williams win would make my day..

Brogan.......Fair comment, though the Spaniards were always going to cheer whether we like it or not. They would have guessed what was coming I would think. :rolleyes:

Kewee and everyone else who thinks this is fair,

Its Not
Lewis Hamilton grabs pole by 6 tenths in a car that could have 10L more fuel and still done the same but that doesnt matter
What matters is that Lewis Hamilton is demoted from 1st to 24th alongside a car he BEAT BY 10 SECONDS and also failed to make the 107% time by 4 seconds, and yet is allowed to race.
The rule alone is quite dumb as well, all your 3 qualifying efforts, all your used tyres gone to waste as you plummet to the very bottom of the grid, LUNACY! At the very most it should be his time deleted from Q3 and that he be allowed to start 10th

Abnash24.......It's not a question of whats fair to Lewis, it's whats fair to the other drivers. Your anger should be directed at McLaren not the stewards, it was after all McLaren that broke the rules knowing the consequences if they got it wrong.
As I said, after each session the points are wiped and they start the next session (Q3) with a clean slate. For arguments sake, if the other teams knew McLaren were going to light fuel Lewis why would they go out and waste a set of tyres trying to better him knowing he would be disqualified. Fueling regulations are there to create a level playing field which is why the penalties are severe for breaking this rule. In this case I believe it was likely to be a silly error, but if the penalties are not strong it would open the floodgates for blatant cheating and I don't think any of us would want to see that. Just in case anyone misreads what I just said, I'M NOT suggesting McLaren were trying to cheat, I think they just got their calculations wrong.

Vast majority seems to think this is unfair.

There is an argument that we should watch the race regardless. But if the ratings don't suffer as a result of bad decision making, then the sports authorities won't care.

At some level saying it is unfair on a website is stupid. Withholding their advertising CPMs is much more appropriate.

Abnash24

I don't think people necessarily believe that it's 'fair', BUT it's the option that the stewards have. Had the car failed scrutineering for anything else, it would've been thrown out of qualifying- and that is basically what has happened to Hamilton. Had the stewards really had it in for Hamilton, they could have refused him the right to race! Is it harsh? Yes. Is it a correct application of the rules? Probably

Batman......I don't think it will make a lot of difference if the Brits switch off, Italy and ever other Latin country will be glued to their sets in greater numbers than ever. :D

At the end of the day Lewis now has the quickest car and everyone to overtake, I suggest that's a racer's dream. He's got nothing to lose by going for it.

Its a racers dream if you have tyres you can race on. You cant do it on the current pirelli's you have to drive slow and save them. Not good when you've been sent to the back of the queue. Rules are rules and Mclaren seem adept and screwing things up. That said Id have thought the fairest penalty would be to scrap the time he set with low fuel and let his first time stand. Still rubbish. Thanks Mclaren.

[quote="racecub,You cant do it on the current pirelli's you have to drive slow and save them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Erm, no. You have to drive fast and save them. :goodday:

The FIA is definitely not "manipulating the result" in any way. They are also not discriminating against Lewis. The rule is the rule and it would be enforced if anybody did it. Is the penalty for breaking this rule a little harsh? Of course it is. But its there and the rule book and its McLaren's fault for breaking it.

I wouldn't think Maldonado and Alonso up in the front row will exactly be cruising around will they? Nor come to think of it would have Hamilton if he's started in front.

I think they all have to cruise around these days don't they? But we digress. Lewis is at the back so thats that.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom