Poll Who thinks that the Hamilton grid penalty is not the right grid penalty?

Who thinks the Hamilton grid penalty is not the right penalty?

• The current penalty is appropriate

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • It would be more appropriate to have a 5 place grid penalty

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • It would be more appropriate to exclude Q3 timings

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • It would be more appropriate to leave his time as is because it is a team mistake

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • It would be more appropriate to remove his final lap which was on low fuel

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • There is another more appropriate penalty

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He also got it wrong about the actual wording on the one car's width rule about Rosberg's incidents in Bahrain didn't he?

Being a former racing driver, a commentator and pundit, it makes it more valid than mine, a lowly armchair critic.

I have to say, I think if it was anyone but Hamilton, a lot of the opinions would be different.

*dons flame suit*

Surely the point of the rule is to stop people under-fuelling and stopping after their final lap before reaching the pits. To discourage this all they need to do is make it so that any lap where you cannot return to the pits doesn't count ... ? I must admit I don't understand why you would discount both Q3 times when he was only under-fuelled for one of the two laps.

I can't help but feel McLaren are being punished for a) their response afterwards and b) the fact that they didn't stop him doing his fast lap themselves; however that is not what the punishment has been given for ...

Kewee I think red bull can feel very fortunate to start in front of him given that he set a genuine Q3 time but neither Webber nor Vettel we able / chose to do so.

Being a former racing driver, a commentator and pundit, it makes it more valid than mine, a lowly armchair critic.

I have to say, I think if it was anyone but Hamilton, a lot of the opinions would be different.

*dons flame suit*

On both sides ;)

Brogan Sorry I was responding to one of the suggestions in the poll and mooted by some. I don't understand why you would only partly disqualify someone from Qualifying other than the select lap that was under fulled. I am, unfortunately, aware of the full penalty

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it had been Alonso or Vettel, opinions would be even more different. :D

In every session a driver is penalized If he cannot get the car back to the pits point in case Kobayashi qualifies for Q3 but cannot take part in it because he is unable to get the car back to the pits through no fault of his own.

How would he feel if Lewis only got that laps time deleted or only had a five place grid penalty for more or less the same problem (Not being able to return to the pits for whatever reason, and saying Kobayashi wouldn't have qualified any higher anyway is not an argument.) slightly miffed or completely pissed off?

Why should what the drivers name is make a difference to the penalty?

And I believe it doesn't, are people really suggesting that the stewards have it in for Lewis? And why would they have?

Penalties are always calculated with regard to fairness to the other drivers. If he had been allowed to keep his time from Q2 for example how would another driver feel who may have done just enough to reach Q3 saving his best for that one final Q3 lap. For qualifying to be fair it needs to follow a set structure all the drivers are aware of. Times set in Q2 are wiped and the top ten start Q3 with a clean slate, it's always been like that. You can't suddenly revive a Q2 time because a team gets it wrong in Q3. Teams would have no idea where they stand in relation to their competitors and there would be no fairness in that, and spectators would have no idea who has won pole after sitting there watching for an hour. Some will say we didn't know after qualifying yesterday. I'm in a different time zone and I knew when I woke this morning that Hamilton would have a penalty for either a gearbox change, engine change or fueling light, I just wasn't sure which it would be. What I find astonishing is McLaren, with its millions of dollars of technology back at its high technology centre, failed to put the correct amount of fuel in their car. If the consequences weren't so serious for Lewis it would be laughable. :crazy:

Why should what the drivers name is make a difference to the penalty?

And I believe it doesn't, are people really suggesting that the stewards have it in for Lewis? And why would they have?
I was alluding more to the general public.

It's no secret that Hamilton is probably the most hated driver in F1 today and has been for some time.
All of the press room (except the Brit's) jumping to their feet and applauding when he slid off in China in 2007 wasn't an accident.

Still, that's a discussion for another thread.

Appropriate or not, the penalty has been applied. Disappointment and/or frustration with the fact will not change it. Let us enjoy the prospect that the usual Catalonian procession might possibly be enlivened by a spirited charge through the field...provided he doesn't fall foul of a dawdling HRT or Marussia, that is (and we'll not even mention Massa...)!

I think that this whole thread is missing the point. Lewis Hamilton has been stripped of a 0.578 advantage pole position and been moved down the whole grid to 24th to a car he beat by nearly 10 seconds. All because he didn't have enough fuel to complete an inlap. This is the worst abuse of the stewards powers i have ever seen.

I was alluding more to the general public.

It's no secret that Hamilton is probably the most hated driver in F1 today and has been for some time.
All of the press room (except the Brit's) jumping to their feet and applauding when he slid off in China in 2007 wasn't an accident.

Still, that's a discussion for another thread.

Your right, this probably is a discussion for another thread but it's fair to say the Brits were jumping for joy everytime Hamilton finished in front of Alonso also, and that includes the cheers when Alonso made an error in Canada which turned his race into a disaster. His own making yes, but hardly reason for the gleeful British press to rip into him. Works both ways as always.

Abnash24.....The rules have always stated exclusion for fueling light. As I said the rule is there to be fair to the teams who don't break them. This is not the first time McLaren have broken this rule. The last time was in Canada a few seasons back. They were warned then though Lewis's time was allowed to stand.

I think that this whole thread is missing the point. Lewis Hamilton has been stripped of a 0.578 advantage pole position and been moved down the whole grid to 24th to a car he beat by nearly 10 seconds. All because he didn't have enough fuel to complete an inlap. This is the worst abuse of the stewards powers i have ever seen.
Part of that advantage may have been due to the weight saved by underfuelling, plus McLaren have form, as they've pulled the same stunt before. If it was a genuine undisputable error, then the back of the grid is a little harsh, but if they were pulling a fast one again then they got what they deserved!

Brogan......Sorry Brogan, I was just acknowledging your comment regarding 2007 when so much of the ill feeling was between these two drivers. I don't believe the same ill feeling exists today between the drivers, the press, or the public, as was the case in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom