Who might replace Raikkonen and where might he go?

Olivier

Race Winner
This year's silly season has started early for one of the most beloved current F1 drivers. I'm talking about Kimi Raikkonen. After 2 impressive seasons with Lotus, Ferrari decided he was the right man to replace Felipe Massa who they wanted to replace after performing poorly for a couple of seasons. An why wouldn't they think Kimi was the right choice. After all he gave the team the latest WDC to date.

After struggling last year and not really improving much this year, it's clear that KR won't be in the team next year (and there's no noticeable improvement, he will be shown the door before end of the year).

Many names have been mentioned to be Raikkonen successor; from Bottas, to Riccardo to Hulkenberg. In the short term, there's also talk about bring Gutierrez to finish the season as Ferrari's #2.

Where might Raikkonen go? Lotus would probably be receptive to welcome him back. Hass could receive him in exchange for some engines. If not F1, then what, back to Rally? Sportscars racing to follow in Mark Webber's footsteps? DTM like Mika did? IndyCars to join his pal Juan Montoya?

Raikkonen's position sounds like its already been decided by the men back at Maranello. If he wants to stay I could see him being asked to take a pay cut which he will simply will stick two fingers and tell them to get lost as he is motivated by the money he gets as a world champion

Otherwise he will retire as all other options are inferior to what he has now. Going to Haas is like being demoted for him , whilst Lotus he left on bad terms and would not go back unless the team changes management and has plenty of money to pay him

As for his replacements I think Bottas has probably inching to get himself in the 2nd seat seeing that he cannot be a consistent front runner if he stays at Williams

There is vocal support for Hulkenberg and I would prefer him to get it because he is overdue a competitive drive

You have got to be kidding if Gutierrez is going to drive for Ferrari just because of the sponsors. I think he could be drafted to Haas because of the USA being a Mexican

Even though he comes across as a bit disinterested, I think even Kimi would try his best to stay in F1 regardless of the team. Mind you he did give up on it and go rallying for a bit...

Haas, or Ferrari lite as they will soon be known, will in my opinion try and sign at least one US driver and a young Ferrari development driver. That would seem to fit with the ethos of the team. As for Kimi, I think retirement, vodka and occasional guest runs in Scandinavian Ice Racing are the only things that next season have in store.

For his replacement at Ferrari, that's a more interesting question. The management will have their own ideas but I'm sure Seb will have an input. To that end, I would rule Ricciardo out. Bottas has been linked to Mercedes for a long while so it would seem he's not a natural choice. Rookies and very young drivers have never been a Ferrari thing either. With all that said, I could see Hulkenberg given a go.

Who might replace Raikkonen and where might he go?

Anyone would be better (but I hope the Hulk)

Where? ; Who cares? (But I'd expect some half hearted attempt at WEC to squeeze out a few more million ice creams)

I've said it before and I will say it again, Verstappen will be at Ferrari next year and Kimi will retire with his reputation exactly where it was when he "retired" last time, in the bin.

FB

That is an extremely bold prediction but I think Max's Dad might calm junior down reminding him what happened when he teamed up with another German driver early in his career

-----------------------------------

As for Raikkonen - it feels very much he has underachieved and emptied the Bank Accounts of Ferrari with little return

Kimi will retire from F1 if he is fired from Ferrari. Rally or WEC seem the obvious choices for him. The rest are just hobby racing.

I think Bottas to Ferrari is the obvious choice. Williams want 15 million for him and Ferrari can afford it. As for alternatives I think Max is too young and too much of a risk. And I'm not sure he is as good as everyone claims. Hulkenberg seems to of been passed over so many times I just can't see his luck changing. Nobody has mentioned Dan Ricciardo...hmmm Seb might not be too happy with that.
LOL
The other big question is Bottas replacement if he leaves Williams. A seat in what is now the top 3 team is well sought after. Dan Ricciardo or the Hulk would be good. Williams do however have a history of hiring talented rookies, so Max may get a phone call. Carlos Saintz seems pretty handy as well.

I think if the Hulk is passed over again he will be in WEC quicker than you can say Le Mans.

Last edited:
I would think that both baby Red Bull drivers would have contracts locking them into Red Bull as a first option. The problem though for any jnr team is having nothing for promising drivers when the snr team is locked out.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Verstappen will be at Ferrari next year and Kimi will retire with his reputation exactly where it was when he "retired" last time, in the bin.

I highly doubt verstappen to Ferrari I give him at least next season or even 2 in midfield to give him chance to develop think vettel & alonso both spent 2+ yrs honing the skills & yeah kimi I think has been on slope since he left mclaren at end of 2006 bar that brief return to form in 2012

I couldn't care less where he goes to be honest. One of the least attractive personalities in the sport, I have no idea where he gets his fan base. WEC is unlikely I would have thought, he's never been much of a team player which is essential in WEC. Rallying is the most likely, more of a loners sport as long as he gets on with his co-driver/navigator.

I'm probably being too romantic in thinking Verstappen to Ferrari as I'm in the middle of Gilles Villeneuve's biography but I reckon if the old man was still alive Ferrari would have had a much more exciting driver line up over the last years. I'm hoping Arrivabene has a little of Enzo's stardust to sprinkle on an unproven young charger.

Bottas just did himself out of the Ferrari drive by not obeying team orders at the British GP. The shine has gone off Max as well.

I'd like to throw Carlos Sainz name into the ring though.

One of the least attractive personalities in the sport, I have no idea where he gets his fan base.
When he does talk, he's a straight-talker, none of that carefully coached PR BS. He says what he thinks, and means what he says. Classic Finnish values.

I can't speak for anyone else, but that's a big factor for me. PR robots aren't fun to watch in interviews at all. If I wanted the opinion of the team's PR personnel, I'd check the team website.

I'm probably being too romantic in thinking Verstappen to Ferrari as I'm in the middle of Gilles Villeneuve's biography but I reckon if the old man was still alive Ferrari would have had a much more exciting driver line up over the last years. I'm hoping Arrivabene has a little of Enzo's stardust to sprinkle on an unproven young charger.

Yeah verstappen would be great entertainment at Ferrari, start the new guard of drivers in f1 but way I see max is in no rush got til end of 2018 to be youngest winner & end of 2020 to be youngest world champ I think a bottas riccardio hulkenburg grosjean as a dark horse would be better as especially with last 2 might not get another chance

& on kimi I find him very funny some of his team radio is brilliant especially that 1 in abu dhabi or his comment about his no 7 number I admit that on paper its a poor state of affairs in f1 that kimi is most liked & popular on the grid as on surface hes dull but is different to other drivers & would be a big loss

RasputinLives I thought Bottas did not show enough hunger or ruthlessness in trying to pass Massa but he showed he is selfish enough which might convince Ferrari to get him

I think he 's the worst of the 3 available to Ferrari that Vettel wants to be as his teammate

Back
Top Bottom