Television Whats on TV?

I think there's a new department that works with British TV companies to deliver new programmes.

"the department for the design of unnecessarily complex and overly confusing quiz shows"

that's the weird thing all the successful shows are simple. pointless 11 yrs very simple pick the lowest scoring answers. the chase beat the quizmaster in 1 on 1, & then as a team to win the money

but people think more complicated is better. which as you say isnt better

this for me is the candidate for the worst car crash tv moment of decade. it was truly memorable but for all the wrong reasons. there is a reason why no one has ever watched dirty dancing & thought I wonder what it would sound like if madness did a cover version of the time of my life

I agree about the quiz shows cider_and_toast

Saying that we quite like House Of Games with Richard Osman at the moment. It certainly makes you think trying to work some of the answers out in alphabetical order or backwards etc.

Didn't get into His Dark Materials but War of the Worlds has been very good.

The scene on the beach, during the evacuation was brilliant. I thought it ironic that a BBC production managed to produce a far more impressive beach evacuation than the highly critically acclaimed but in my opinion utterly bollocks Dunkirk.

I’m loving the double whammy on Sunday evenings, “ His Dark Material,” followed by “ The War of the Worlds “.
I think both are brilliant .
Agreed the BBC needs to more of this stuff. Read all of the His Dark materials Books a long time ago. Finally good to see a decent adaption to tv and it is following the book almost perfectly. War of the worlds is straying rather far from the book. Still enjoying it though.

I think they're looking to put the emphasis on the germ aspects of the story far more than in the original material.

I must admit, the version I'm most familiar with is the Jeff Wayne album version so I keep expecting the soundtrack to break in.

Didn't get into His Dark Materials but War of the Worlds has been very good.

The scene on the beach, during the evacuation was brilliant. I thought it ironic that a BBC production managed to produce a far more impressive beach evacuation than the highly critically acclaimed but in my opinion utterly bollocks Dunkirk.
I made quite a scene on a beach during an evacuation once.

I sat through all three episodes of War of the Worlds with growing boredom. Last night I finally got around to watching the 3rd and final episode and towards the end had to check how much was left because I was tempted to grab the remote and fast forward.

I wrote about the first episode in glowing terms. Yes it didn't follow the story but it looked good and set things up nicely. But then it just fell apart as it went on.

I've just completed a 10 week creative writing course. I don't claim for one second to be a literary genius, I write as a bit of fun, but we had an entire lesson on "show not tell" and how important this is for story development. Why oh why then do modern writers feel the need to ram points down our throats?

HG Wells original story is full of allegory and its not hard to spot. Ultimately, aliens invade Britain and science, reason, military might, religion and finally even the indomitable human spirit aren't enough to defeat them. It all comes down to bacteria. It shows that no matter how mighty you think you are, the tiniest of things can defeat you.

So what did we get in Episode 3? A brief lecture that goes something along the lines of "hey, it's just occurred to me, these aliens are a bit like the British empire stomping all over those poor people in the jungle. We deserve to be wiped out by aliens because we've been very naughty"

Worse still, we had our heroine tell her child about how she grew up with all those brown skinned people who were very poor but really happy. For crying out loud!!!!

Even the whole ending of the story was ruined because it had to be spelt out by a character who for some reason lives through the whole ordeal in this version but not in the book. We're told he starts destroying the red weed with a combination of Teburculosis and Salmonella. Yeah, good luck for the future of manikind after spraying that everywhere.

The suspense got less and less once it was clear in episode 2 that you were watching flash forwards so it was reasonably obvious who lives and who didn't.

Boring, lazy writing, pointless additions to a great story and overall dull, preaching bollocks.

**** you BBC for messing up a fantastic opportunity to show some quality science fiction.

I haven't watched episode 3 as yet but after episode 2 I was wondering why I was bothering. However, and my apologies to all those under 30 on this site, but some elements of history DO need to be rammed down the throats of young people. There was a piece on Feedback on R4 recently and they got a couple of under grads to listen to a radio programme they wouldn't normally listen to. They gave these two reasonably articulate and intelligent young people a programme about the fall of the Berlin Wall. Now this was in 1991 but one had only "heard of it" but wasn't sure what it was about the other knew nothing of this seminal European, post-war event.

Contrary to Henry Ford's opinion, history is not bunk as if we don't remember the mistakes of the past we will make them again in the future. My question on the reaction of the two young people mentioned above, and there knowledge of an event which only took place 28 years ago is what the **** are schools teaching children these days and aren't young people interested learning beyond their ****ing exam subjects?

Mankind is, unfortunately, ****ed, unless we find ways to ram some sort of knowledge in to the brains of young people and, maybe, debasing TV adaptations of popular literature is the only way to achieve this.

Ok Boomer ;)

(I'm kidding)

I think the under 30s get a bad press for what's it's worth. I work with a whole bunch of them and whilst they look at me blankly when I do quotes from Friends they are far more widely read than I ever was at their age. They may read them on tablets and kindles but they read.

Back
Top Bottom