What now for Cosworth.

I'm not someone in the know so I don't claim any knowledge of it but that seem to be the logical assumption when Merc landed its own team and Mr Dennis vacating his position of superiority within the direct organisation of team Mclaren Formula One to involve himself in the development of Mclaren machinary aim at the general human race to use for transportation purposes that this was going to be the case. All media hype? was looking forward to it actually. Ya know people saying it was Martin Whitmarsh's fault the engine didn't have enough horsepower - that sort of stuff.

Sportsman - Seat! didn't even think of them. Surely not though? I guess that would def give HRT that Spanish identity their new investors are looking for.
I'm not in the know either, and I was looking forward to Mclaren building their own F1 engine too, but I am sure I read a statement recently by them that they have no plans to do so (can't remember where now). Still, that doesn't necessarily mean they won't.

I agree about Honda, which is why I made the suggestion that they might work with Mclaren - after all, if when they do come back they will want to tie up with a top team, and with Mclaren's Mercedes relationship coming to an end, a Honda/Mclaren re-union would seem a good idea.

As for Seat, they are part of the VW Group who have said they are not interested in F1 haven't they?

As for Seat, they are part of the VW Group who have said they are not interested in F1 haven't they?

Yes they are.But so are Porsche.And Porsche have already said that they may be interested in returning to F1 with new regulations.They can simply rebadge the engine if needs be.

McLaren Honda and Williams Renault in the same season.....Sounds like a dream come true.

As for Cosworth hopefully one of their former customers will come back and take on their engine again.

I think I'm right by saying apart from Ferrari, Cosworth has powered every one of the current teams at one point in their history.

McLaren Honda and Williams Renault in the same season.....Sounds like a dream come true.

As for Cosworth hopefully one of their former customers will come back and take on their engine again.

I think I'm right by saying apart from Ferrari, Cosworth has powered every one of the current teams at one point in their history.
Given that the Santander/Vodafone colours are quite a 'fluorescent' red, and given that Williams could see fit to introduce a little 'Renault' yellow into their livery, I've an idea for how a next generation Vodafone Mclaren Honda V6 turbo and a Williams Renault V6 turbo might look side by side:

mansell-x-senna-1991-espanha.jpg

Hmm - wasn't it "merely" a Ford Zetec or HB (rather than a Cosworth) in the Benettons & Saubers though?

From Cosworths wiki page:

The final DFV/DFZ/DFR replacement, the 3,500 cc (213.6 cu in) HB V8 was introduced with the Benetton team midway through 1989, winning the Japanese Grand Prix that year. This exploited a narrower vee-angle than the DFV. As the works team, Benetton maintained exclusivity with this model through the rest of 1989 and 1990. 1991 saw the introduction of customer units, two specifications behind their works equivalents. In 1991, these were supplied to the fledgling Jordan Grand Prix outfit, and for 1992, Team Lotus. 1993 saw the customer deal extended to McLaren, who won five Grands Prix with Ayrton Senna that year. It was not until the introduction of the new Cosworth unit, badged as a Ford Zetec-R, thatMichael Schumacher won the Drivers World Championship with Benetton, in 1994. This was the last Ford powered F1 title.

Different badging of the same unit. Cosworth probably have the greatest F1 history of all the engine suppliers.

Given that the Santander/Vodafone colours are quite a 'fluorescent' red, and given that Williams could see fit to introduce a little 'Renault' yellow into their livery, I've an idea for how a next generation Vodafone Mclaren Honda V6 turbo and a Williams Renault V6 turbo might look side by side:

I'm afraid your picture is incompatible with modern Formula One. It might look something more like this:

[See if you can spot all the crude Paint based differences]

CTA.jpg

Not that it'd get that far as Mclaren would be penalised for tobacco infrigments :whistle:Do we have any photoshop artists in the house?

The problem that Cosworth have to face on their return to F1 is the "Engine Development Freeze" regulations. It must be very hard to play catch up when you erm... aren't aloud to play catch up?

Of course Cosworth were originally supposed to be part of the Max's "Budget Cap" in return for unlimited development regulations which would have meant that Cosworth powered teams would have seen the advantage of a full research and development programme that could perhaps have speeded up the ability for teams to close the gap.

It does seem that they have produced a pretty reliable and useful engine (not sure how many DNF's for Cosworth runners have been down to the engine but I can't recall many)

Im sure ive commented on the excat post sportsman made at some point.

BBC ballsed it up, They jumped the gun trying to an exclusive, and told the world Renaul engines are going to be called Infiniti engines (Makes sense really there a more sporty brand part owned by renault and nissan in there complicated ownership)

The whole world reported the same, and then a few hours later the real deal came out..... Redbull get free Renault badged engines for putting the Infiniti logo and name on the car. And the BBC had to change its whole article its a sponsorship deal paid for with engines instead of money.

• Car numbers
  • White pit exit line
  • Tobacco sponsorship blanked on rear wing
  • And tarmac run off near pit exit
Did I get them all? lol

Other than I got the Williams car number wrong :whistle: you've half spotted the rear wing one. Senna's got his DRS open in my version!

Back
Top Bottom