What do you think of the Monaco Grand Prix?

What do you think of the Monaco Grand Prix?

• The sexiest race on the calendar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
A quick and dirty quiz to see what you folks think of the Monaco Grand Prix.

It is always built up as the race of the season, the one the drivers most want to win and the sexiest race on the calendar but does it live up to it's billing?

With few overtaking places once a driver gets into a position he rarely loses it unless there is an accident or mechanical failure. The attrition rate is often high resulting in some very unusual races winners but also some of the greatest drivers in F1's history have been multiple winners at Monaco proving it is a real "Drivers Circuit".

So, what do you think?

Probably an unpopular view but I absolutely hate it.

It's only on the calendar for one reason; so the "beautiful" people can compare yachts/watches/handbags/outfits, etc.

I know it's historic and it's a good test of driver skill (allegedly) but it's just boring to watch.

If there are no lapses in concentration then it would be a poor race every time. However, because the slightest lapse is punished severely, the Safety Car can throw a major spanner in the works. I think it is the unpredictability factor (like other street circuits) that people love about Monaco.

Brogan said:

It's only on the calendar for one reason; so the "beautiful" people can compare yachts/watches/handbags/outfits, etc.

I know it's historic and it's a good test of driver skill (allegedly) but it's just boring to watch.

Its absolutely ridiculous that in amongst the racing circuits of the F1 calendar that this abomination of a circuit is still on the calendar in order to appease some pillocks on yachts! No-one in Monaco is interested in F1 and I always thought that the point of motorsport was to go very fast, rather than slow (comparatively, there's no doing it on the M6!). What excitement there is is caused by drivers losing concentration driving F1 cars so slow around pseudo-turns like la bloody Rascasse!

Its an absolute joke and the sooner its off the calendar, the better!

I've gone for the "Boring Snoozefest" becuase there is no middle ground option.

I agree with the points that Monaco is a stupid race in this day and age but it has the history and the heritage in its favour.

There have been one or two classic races as well, 82 (the one no one wanted to win), 84 (the one that cost Prost the 84 world title and Mansell his job at Lotus), 92 (The one where Mansell pitted with a puncture, came out behind Senna and then couldn't get past) and even 96 (Hill failed to finish again and Panis took his only win) and come on guys even last year was pretty good with Sutil being on the receiving end of Kimi's antics.

So there have been some great GPs at Monaco.

I Don't think it would be missed if it was taken off the calendar (like that would ever happen) but at the same time it can be fun.

teabagyokel said:
Brogan said:

Its absolutely ridiculous that in amongst the racing circuits of the F1 calendar that this abomination of a circuit is still on the calendar in order to appease some pillocks on yachts! No-one in Monaco is interested in F1 and I always thought that the point of motorsport was to go very fast, rather than slow (comparatively, there's no doing it on the M6!). What excitement there is is caused by drivers losing concentration driving F1 cars so slow around pseudo-turns like la bloody Rascasse!

Its an absolute joke and the sooner its off the calendar, the better!

And yet, historically it has more successful overtaking manoevres than Hungary, Magny-Cours and Imola*, and is pretty much 50-50 with the wide-open straights of Indianapolis, Silverstone and prior to this season, Melbourne.

I like it, it throws up the occasional surprise and rewards drivers pushing hard to just within the limits. 6 wins for Senna can't all be wrong.

*Admittedly not the 3 greatest tracks on the F1 calendar, but there all the same

Personally I like it.

It presents a unique challenge to the teams, It is different to any other track in Formula 1. One mistake and your out, no going over milies and miles of Tarmac 'run off' if oyu cant stay inbetween the white lines. Also qualifying is so important here because it is hard to overtake, No other track puts so much pressure in qualifying Also Its a strategic track where making a good stop at the right time is imperative to get a good result.
Then theres the history, While I hate people who wear there red tinted glasses and have no cosideration for the present day, this cannot be disreguarded. And it is a bit of a 'blue riband event' Its the one everybody wants to win, I dont think anyother track can claim that.

It maybe not always produce a great race, but it is such a differnt type of challenge that if F1 is always going to be the best of the best it needs the monaco challenge.

OK, I'll admit it. I like it!

The history of it. The ludicrously narrow track - one mistake and you're out! Ace!

Also, what other track could give us the hilarious episode of Jim Rosenthal bouncing up & down on the ITV yacht in a storm!

Give me Monaco over Valencia any day of the week!

I love it! It's not the sexiest race on the calendar for me (Spa is) but it's still a good occasion and often throws up some great races. 1982 anyone?

Sorry for not giving a middle ground option but that stifles debate (doesn't it?). My feelings towards Monaco is that it is a bit like Violet Elizabeth Bott "when it's good it's very good but when it's bad it's horrid" and, on average, the majority of races fall into the horrid category.

Many people on here have mentioned the exciting races we have seen around Monaco; the race no one wanted to win in 1982, Prost's dubious win in the rain in 1984, Senna/Mansell in 1992 , Panis in 1996 but unfortunately these are the exception rather than the rule which is probably why we remember them so well.

I've never bought into the "glamour" thing at Monaco as F1 should be about cars racing each other not an opportunity for the rich and famous to pose around. One thing I am fairly sure of however is that of all the street circuits Monaco is probably the best we have had and will have because it it so unique. All other attempts at street racing have been pretty rotten over the years, perhaps with the exception of Long Beach, and also Monaco is here to stay unlike Valencia, Singapore etc., etc.

One final thought, if someone were to come along today and suggest that we held a Formula 1 race on the exceptionally narrow streets of one of the most densely populated cities/countries on the planet with poor pit facilities and dubious safety standards, or simply to make the Royal family of a country feel good about themselves do you think it would happen? Somehow I doubt it, I suppose it depends how big the cheque is - anyone for a race in Abu Dhabi or Bahrain? Oh hang on...

Brogan said:

I kind of agree with your first sentence but it is a great week=end, more suited to another era maybe, but I wouldn't change it.

Well there you go the "Clip the Apex Massiv" have spoken and 60% of us, in this very scientific survey, feel that Monaco is a no-overtaking snooze fest.

I'll drop a note to Max and Bernie (didn't they have a dog called snorbitz) and ask them to take it off the calendar for next year. I'm sure the Rainier's won't mind, probably make it a bit easier for them to get down to the EuroSpar on Sunday morning to pick up the News of the World, a couple of baguettes and some Nescafe anyway.

Yeah, the Grimaldi family will be really happy with their big source of income for the year going out the window. However, I don't understand why their hereditary despots should have any more right to pocket tons of undeserved cash than anyone else's hereditary despots*. Why should the Grand Duke of Luxembourg not have F1 cars littering his streets? How about the Pope and the Vatican GP! Who should we devise our F1 calendar for if not God Almighty? If F1 had His blessing no way would Ferrari want to leave! And I bet Bernie'd get a stock of Holy Hand Grenades as part of the deal[sup]†[/sup]!

Anyway, if its all about parking your boat you could hold a Grand Prix at any old seaside resort! The St. Tropez GP might be more glamorous than the Margate GP. Or maybe another port, like the Marseilles GP or the Liverpool GP (the teams wouldn't leave the tyres unattended[sup]‡[/sup]). Or maybe Valencia. Oh!

Either way, this vaguely[sup]?[/sup] comical post has no point but to say...

Monaco, you are the weakest link, Goodbye!

*You may assume that I'm not a monarchist.
[sup]†[/sup]You may also assume I'm not a religious person, although Monty Python & the Holy Grail was great!
[sup]‡[/sup]I love you really if you're from Liverpool!
[sup]?[/sup]And I'm flattering myself there

There was a poll in another place as to who was the "Driver of the Day" at Monaco this year. I voted for Sebastian Buemi as him running into Piquet and Piquet's rant about "young drivers" was the only highlight I could think of. Sad when a crash is the best thing to happen in race :(

Back
Top Bottom