Things ... Welcome to the Future (2018 - 2019 Silly Season)

I was thinking does Sirotkin have any chance getting into Toro Rosso? Interesting comments from his backers saying they don't want to back Williams and be at the back of the grid which influenced him getting the drive

Well, Sirotkin has tons of money and he does not completely suck as a driver.....so I think he could be able to buy his way back in if he bides his time. Probably would be best to just go run Indy Car for a year.

For the last couple of years I don't think we have had too many driver changes in the mid-season. There used to be one or two a season.

But we saw much worse drivers in terms of superlicense points testing this year like Mazepin and Gelael. Although the latter one may qualify through his GP2/F2 experience.

What a difference 7 months makes. He had no backing looked like he was going to be in wilderness, another talented drivers lost because size of the wallet is more important than the size of a talent & had a 1 race deal in F2. As i they had no else, then Performed so well in opening round. They decide to take money hit gave him a full season deal. He nearly wins it, comes 2nd in championship & gets a F1 seat at Toro rosso

F1Brits_90 He may have dodged a bullet given the upheaval at Renault/Nissan due to Carlos Ghosn lying about his pay and abusing the company expenses and apparently Nissan were not too keen that the French government were getting involved in the running of the company

This just must be the break he deserves, he's been fast and absolutely annihilated his teamate Latifi - who is just a poor mans version of Lance Stroll

It is good for F2 that the top 3 have graduated into F1 which is what the series is suppose to do

Alexander Albon: Toro Rosso deal for 2019 for British-born Thai driver

I would say Albon has probably got two years at Toro Rosso to prove himself before they promote Ticktum from F2/ Superformula Honda unless he is so bad and suffers the same fate at Hartley

Okay so Racing Point Force India haven't announced Lance Stroll as their driver, yet he's testing for them in the pink team overalls, duh!!

I would say Albon has probably got two years at Toro Rosso to prove himself before they promote Ticktum from F2/ Superformula Honda unless he is so bad and suffers the same fate at Hartley

I think Albon is a long term investment. Kvyat is a one year stop gap like Hartley was and will be moved aside again when Ticktum gets his super licence.

Personally, I would love it if Red Bull are just trolling Ticktum - sign him to a long-term contract, pay for his development, but, then refuse to ever allow him to race a Red Bull F1 car as a proper punishment for his previous misdeeds.

Personally, if I were an advertiser, I would never want anything to do with a driver of Ticktum's reputation.

Well, there are a few positives to this silly season:

1. Kubica got a ride. He will have a chance to prove himself.
2. Kvyat got a ride. He was the one Russian driver that clearly deserved to be in F1, and I think was treated rather shabbily by Red Bull/Toro Rosso. We shall see if he shows his old promise.
3. Leclerc moved to a top team.
4. Gasly moved to a top team.
5. Force India was bailed out.

Now, there are some negatives, although I can only think of two major ones:

1. Alonso is gone.
2. Ocon is under-employed.

The rest of the people who have left F1....well it was kind of time for them to go (Van Doorne, Ericson). I am on the fence about Sirotkin, as he clearly showed moments of speed. It would be nice if he had a second season. With his money though, that may still happen.

Of course, the biggest problem is that in 2019, I still think Mercedes is going to have the edge. Red Bull will probably be more competitive, but I suspect that will be more at the expense of Ferrari than Mercedes. Are we going to see multiple races where Hamilton drives off in the distance while the two V's fight it out (Vettel and Verstappen), reinforced with their hungry new teammates (Leclerc and Gasly). This could be very entertaining in a perverse way.

Personally, I would love it if Red Bull are just trolling Ticktum - sign him to a long-term contract, pay for his development, but, then refuse to ever allow him to race a Red Bull F1 car as a proper punishment for his previous misdeeds.

Personally, if I were an advertiser, I would never want anything to do with a driver of Ticktum's reputation.

Its very true was catching up on F2 & i brought it up with my dad. Saying do you remember on a btcc race weekend that guy who under a safety car used car as a battering ram. He remembered vaguely & couldnt believe it when i told him. that ticktum is that driver

RasputinLives You would think so about Ticktum given they were eager for him to do some testing but because his own stupidity did not have enough points for testing

With Kyvat I hope its better luck this time round because he seriously got kicked in the balls a few seasons back

1 of my favourite stats. I just found through Twitter. Charles leclerc scored Monaco 1st points for 68 years. Last monasque driver to score points was 1950 Monaco gp when Louis chiron finished 3rd in a maserati

I doubt that record will ever be beaten, when a nation got points in 2nd race & then had to wait until 980th

Thailand is probably a candidate for the future. Birabongse Bhanudej - Wikipedia

Also I thought Olivier Beretta must have scored a point, but apparently not. Best finish of 8th back when they weren't throwing points around like confetti. So I learned something new today.

you make a good point on that, but I would also add alexander albon. doing very well in F2. although to beat the record he would have to be after 2019 Mexican gp

I rereading old threads, after trying to compiling by driver of the year top 10 & proof a record could be potentially broken again for longest gap between nation getting points

Back
Top Bottom