Grand Prix Vietnam stopped before it started

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member

The Vietnam GP cancelled by Covid this year, has now been dropped from the 2021 calendar due to the official responsible for bringing F1 to Vietnam having been arrested on corruption charges.

The charges aren't linked to the race organisation apparently.

this is extremely weird. how strange would it be that it was only raced virtually & never in real life. did this happen in Korea or India?? it was on the calendar, then it was moved from late season to early. then they discussed a sabbatical & then after the sabbatical it was just never spoken about again

but id be glad to see vietnam gone. even it look a bit Belgium with high speed straights & technical sectors. because on F1 2020, it was something never happened in 20+ yrs of playing these games. more i practiced the worse i got. i just couldn't get the set up right. i used 25/30 different set ups. but everyone gave me horrendous understeer & oversteer. the change of direction was so slow i was beaten by the titanic

the 2021 provisional, Coronavirus pending calendar been confirmed.
  • Saudi Arabia is joining in the circuit before permanent circuit designed by Alex Wurz joins in 2022.
  • we will back at interlagos for 2021. but hopefully liberty media will put the sport 1st as we cant be losing the great circuit. for potentially poor replacement.
  • Netherlands has moved from Pre Spain to Monza's Slot
  • Monaco is in its earliest Slot for 10 years & wont clash with indy 500 for the 1st time since since 2010
  • The 6 races in 7 races not only looks crucial for the championship. but i think looks a terrible idea. for fans as they will be glad for the break not looking forward to it. mechanics will be fatigued
  • Racing in Mexico on Halloween
  • the Vietnam slot might be joker slot where a historic circuit joins once every few years
  • we will be racing in Abu Dhabi in December on purpose for 1st time since 1963 (i know 1st dec few yrs ago but that was how the calendar fell, than F1)

IMG_20201110_103907.jpg

Last edited:
No country has a blameless past whether in this century or in the the past two centuries, that's by todays definitions, Spain wasn't that good in South America in the 16th century. How far do you want to go back? Every country has a right to their laws or rules whether or not you or I agree with them, there are moves afoot to reduce the more excesses the UAE is one example, money can talk both ways.

Spain was a fascist dictatorship until the mid-70's and F1 raced there when Franco was in charge. Yes, a country has to move on and we can't measure them against what they did in the past. However, there are some basic norms which we should all try and strive for and there are many countries on that list who don't recognise women's rights, actively target the gay and trans community, are overtly racist and imprison anyone who disagrees with the government, many of which are unelected or have power through dubious "democratic" processes.

Taking major sporting events to these countries supports and emboldens dubious and despicable regimes and should be stopped.

As I've said before democracy is a western invention and there are not that many genuine democracies south or east of Europe even now, exactly why do you think democracy is the way to go? There is a thought that benign dictatorships are probably a more effective form of government, crime tends to be lower due to punishments being not to a democratic country's way of thought. Many decisions made in our parliament may not be the same decisions the population would have made, capital punishment being one of them, but when both major political parties vote that way the populations thought is abandoned, that is a case of dictatorship by the few ignoring their electorate.

As I've said before democracy is a western invention and there are not that many genuine democracies south or east of Europe even now, exactly why do you think democracy is the way to go? There is a thought that benign dictatorships are probably a more effective form of government, crime tends to be lower due to punishments being not to a democratic country's way of thought. Many decisions made in our parliament may not be the same decisions the population would have made, capital punishment being one of them, but when both major political parties vote that way the populations thought is abandoned, that is a case of dictatorship by the few ignoring their electorate.
Just look at the US election to back your point. Trump would rather see anarchy and chaos to start Biden's era and come out and say he would enforce martial law. It is actually very evil of him to deliberate start questioning the constitution that got him into office. He knew what he was doing....and they call it a democracy

As for F1 races going to disputed countries if it was not for Covid. I'd very much doubt F1 would boycott Racing at COTA despite what is happening in the country.

F1 raced in South Africa during periods of apartheid if I remember. No one says a thing about racing in Russia despite depicting Putin as dangerous to the west.

Last edited:
There is a thought that benign dictatorships are probably a more effective form of government,

Surely a dictatorship is only benign if you agree with its aims and outcomes?

Can you give examples of successful benign dictatorship?

Why do I think democracy is the way to go? Because if I don't like a regime I can vote against it, give an opinion without fear of a knock on the door late at night, organise a politic group to oppose those in power and present my views openly, have the opinion and life style of others respected and have an open debate on important issues whilst respecting a decision if the outcome is not what I had hoped for.

I can do all of this without fear of prosecution or persecution.

The world you describe where the death penalty is still in place "because the majority want this" is also one where gay people would still be in fear of prosecution for being gay, where women would still be regarded as "goods and chattel", the Police would not intervene in domestic abuse, there would still be signs in pub doors which state "No dogs, no blacks, no Irish" and political and/or religious activists are tortured, beaten or disappear.

On the list of GP's for 2021, there are 15 countries of the 22 I would agree are socially responsible enough to have major sporting events held in them, although 3 of them are currently a bit "iffy".

That seems to be an argument for a minority rule, very similar to a dictatorship, not all of those actions would still be the status quo but a true democracy would bow to the majority, the problem is that the minority seem to have this arrogant attitude that they are right.
Benign dictatorships are very similar to pure communism they don't exist, just that the theory is great.
s

Not in anyway minority rule, this sort of democracy extends the rights offered to the majority, or usually those who weald power, to the minority, or those who are subjugated for being weaker, or in some way different. Dartman , I have to ask, do you agree with universal suffrage or should women not have been given the vote? All this is about is treating everyone equally regardless of race, colour, creed or sexual orientation.

Back
Top Bottom