Track Days & Amateur Motorsport

AlexM

Podium Finisher
Contributor
Just curious really, do we have any other members who take part in track days and/or amateur motorsport?

I did my first track day in October 2008 at Llandow with the MkIV Supra club and have been hooked ever since, jumping in to the Toyota Sprint Series at the beginning of 2009 (having done my second track day ever just two weeks before the first event). I've continued doing track days and sprints since then (and even attempted a little drifting) with some success (3-4 class wins and overall class winner last year!) and am always keeping an eye out for more events my car may be suitable for (I'd love to do some racing).

I've been meaning to do a blog of sorts on my sprints from this year onwards, but it hasn't happened yet..

Who else is hooked? :D

Sounds good. I've done a couple of experience days - one at Castle Coombe (single seater) and one at Thruxton (Porsche, Ferrari, single seater) but that's it as far as cars go.

With uni though I've been doing quite a bit of karting, taking part in several rounds of the BUKC (British Universities Karting Championship) both this year and last. It's a lot of fun in proper 2 stroke karts that will do 70+mph :D. We get it heavily subsidised as well so it's dirt cheap for what it is.

Not having any previous experience really I haven't got anywhere near the podium but was pretty chuffed when I picked up a couple of top 10s at the end of this year (races typically have ~34 drivers/teams).

I've been doing sprints, hillclimbs an all sorts of other things like dirt sprints (smooth dirt track) for about 12 years now.
Started with a couple of track days with the Datsun Car Club while I was in uni back in 1999, and got hooked instantly. Have won a few series since, 2003 Classis Rally Series, 2004 QLD Supersprint Series and 2008 Lakeside Sprint Series were the main ones, and a few places in State Championship Hillclimbs, but these days I just do a few days a year for a bit of fun.

Used to love rallying. Then it suddenly became rather expensive.... Fun while it lasted!
Have driven a few race circuits but strangely (or not) It didn't provide the same "edge" as having trees flashing past the window whilst sliding about on gravel and mud...!!! ) :)

I raced Lancias modestly for a while at tracks including Goodwood before I was even 20.
Now I regularly do track days around London, like Brands Hatch. I have also attended quite a few Porsche club organised track days at different circuits. I have had 911s on road for many years and together with a few other nutters have a lightweight normally aspirated (cookin) one for track days. This might be the most cost effective way to have fun I know

I love driving 'in convoy' with a few friends to Europe for Grand Prix and other sporting events. The Football World cup in Germany was a truly fantastic experience

I started off racing bikes in the late 60's.Then raced sidecar outfits for several years including the IOM TT IN 68 AND 69.
A couple of seasons in FF.
Then a long break due to work restrictions until 1992 then I started racing in the Golf series until in 2003 due to health problems I finally had to pack it in.
I still do the odd unofficial race in a borrowed Golf at my local track just to keep my hand in.
Also do some rallying here on the odd occasion.I have driven an F1 car at Magny Cours on one of their experience days that was in 2003

I have had 911s on road for many years...

Hence the flat 6 obsession :rolleyes: LOL

.I have driven an F1 car at Magny Cours on one of their experience days that was in 2003

Phhh' who cares? :yawn: ME! :embarrassed:

I drove turbo DFV Indy Car once.. In a compound... for about 30 seconds until it stopped and it took us about 2 hours to get it going again.

I occasionally, but not in the last two years, do rally cross with this club, you can hire cars which is good because i never got around to finishing building one. Its real grass roots and the costs are very carefully kept to a bare minimum. No turbos, no 4wd, nothing bigger than 3.0l etc. You could do the whole season for £1500 minus building yourself a car.

I have a lot of car projects, some quite recent and ongoing.. some quite old and still ongoing :rolleyes: Right now i have no time for them and they are dotted about the place in storage. I have a couple of Dodge/Shelby IMSA race cars and quite a few other 'bits and bobs' LOL One day ill be using them for track days and amateur racing... I do at least get to Santa Pod at least once/twice a year to send one of my contraptions up the strip. I've been building a monster engine and drive-train for a Mitsubishi i have with the intention of breaking 1000hp and achieving a sub-10 second 1/4. Nothing too ambitious. :twisted: I put a few bits about it in the CAD Thread a while back.

Anybody ever watch that B.O.S.S. GP series?

I downloaded the race at Donington and it was pretty interesting. Not a lot of close racing, as should be expected with the private entries, but at one point a Bennetton B197 fell back with some sort of issue and then had to chase down and repass a Jordan 191. Kind of cool to see F1 cars that debuted 6 years apart occupying the same piece of track.

I can post some of that race if anybody wants to see it.

Anybody ever watch that B.O.S.S. GP series?

I downloaded the race at Donington and it was pretty interesting. Not a lot of close racing, as should be expected with the private entries, but at one point a Bennetton B197 fell back with some sort of issue and then had to chase down and repass a Jordan 191. Kind of cool to see F1 cars that debuted 6 years apart occupying the same piece of track.

I can post some of that race if anybody wants to see it.

That sounds awesome Keke! post away!

Back
Top Bottom