The Future Of F1

I was working out the stats for races. so I give everyone the stats on highest & lowest rated races when we have finished in abu dhabi, there are few surprising results but not the best & worse they are as everyone guesses. but the interesting bit was the season so far is rated at 5.53. which sounds about right not terrible not great, about average

hopefully the 2021 cars will improve & give us more races like we saw in that European block Austria - Italy

“It's going to be a real nasty piece of work to drive. I think it’s something that if they allowed a little more freedom would allow us to sort that out, but still retain the intent of the ground effect car and low following wake.”

“Aerodynamically it’s going to be quite unstable. I don’t think that’s a nice thing to have. You want cars that are a bit more predictable, so that drivers can attack, be sure what they’ve got underneath them, they know what’s going to happen, they can drive the car at the limit knowing that it’s stable at the limit. From what I see at the moment none of those statements are true for 2021. It’s more about what’s happening at the front of the car, and where the dirty air is going, right into the tunnels. The car currently is creating its own dirty air.”

“It's going to be a real nasty piece of work to drive. I think it’s something that if they allowed a little more freedom would allow us to sort that out, but still retain the intent of the ground effect car and low following wake.”

“Aerodynamically it’s going to be quite unstable. I don’t think that’s a nice thing to have. You want cars that are a bit more predictable, so that drivers can attack, be sure what they’ve got underneath them, they know what’s going to happen, they can drive the car at the limit knowing that it’s stable at the limit. From what I see at the moment none of those statements are true for 2021. It’s more about what’s happening at the front of the car, and where the dirty air is going, right into the tunnels. The car currently is creating its own dirty air.”

Well, it is always interesting to see what happens when you change up the aerodynamics of a car. When they went to ground effects some drivers could never fully adjust, when they removed ground effects some drivers lost their edge. If the cars become difficult and unpredictable to drive, some drivers will adjust and some will not be able to. While the younger less experienced drivers tend to have an easier time adjusting, it is very different from person to person. It could create considerable turmoil in the field.

well vettel is great case in point Ruslan on that between 2010 & 2013 he was unbeatable & world class in that era but since has been average compared in 2013 he won 13 & took 9 poles, since 2014 he's won 14 & got 12 poles. some is Mercedes quality but other is his erratic nature when he makes mistakes at critical moments

but i am looking for to 2021, if anything i hoped that it was 2020 rules. i worry about perez because i think his greatest strength could be gone & more racers could profit

Last edited:
Actually the example I was thinking of was Piquet, Sr. who looked unbeatable in the heavy ground effects years, and seemed a lot less so with the restricted ground effects. Piquet did complain about the differences at the time.

I think some drivers excel or train themselves to excel in some circumstances, and when that changes, they sometime struggle to adapt.

We shall see if this is the case, but if so, it could get very weird in 2021 as some established drivers could simply be “off.”

Actually the example I was thinking of was Piquet, Sr. who looked unbeatable in the heavy ground effects years, and seemed a lot less so with the restricted ground effects. Piquet did complain about the differences at the time.

I think some drivers excel or train themselves to excel in some circumstances, and when that changes, they sometime struggle to adapt.

We shall see if this is the case, but if so, it could get very weird in 2021 as some established drivers could simply be “off.”

I think that Piquet started to lose interest as soon as he won his second WDC, he was driving in an era when drivers still got killed and after a while self-preservation becomes a significant factor (look at Prost, at the beginning known as a madman and in his later years an extremely cautious, yet still very fast, driver).

Re Vettel, but I'd say that the same was true with respect to M. Schumacher, he seems to struggle a bit with a car with a lot of understeer. Alonso was great with the mass damper. Etc. I think that there are a number of factors at play.

I'm not holding my breath for 2021, I guess that from 2021 onwards it will Honda's turn to be the dominant force, the reason being that they put a lot of money in the sport and they will be given something in return, I think that this has been the case, more or less, since Ferrari's winning streak in the early 2000s, you put a lot of money in the sport and after a while there comes a rule change that allows you to gain an (unfair?) advantage over the competition (Mercdes did a sterling job with the current PUs but they came up with the rules and started working on the current formula one and a half years ahead of the rest, not to mention the token system that prevented the other PU manufacturers from catching up)

I'm not holding my breath for 2021, I guess that from 2021 onwards it will Honda's turn to be the dominant force, the reason being that they put a lot of money in the sport and they will be given something in return,....

Yea, I am not sure that is really going to be the case for 2021. Right now, the four engines manufacturers are close in capability, and people are indicating that they are reaching a plateau in engine development. So probably no one is going to have a significant engine advantage. And then the budget cap kicks in for 2021. So, people are not able to outspend or out-develop (by spending) their opponents. Potentially, that could mean that we could actually have a racing series of three competitive teams. That has been rare in the last 20 years. With McLaren coming on and if Renault gets its act together, it could be five competitive teams.

Now...I am not that optimistic...but at least there is a chance that a truly competitive season is possible.

I really hope that you're right otherwise IMHO F1 is in deep trouble, especially considering that the young generations don't seem very interested in car racing (cars in general, sadly)

Well, there is a long-term problem. Certainly racing and performance cars are not the big deal now that they were when I was growing up. I don’t think that is going to change. And then they spend most of last 20 years with the seasons being dominated by one team....

i was just doing this circuit F1 2020 game this afternoon & zandvoort is like nothing ive ever raced before, its monaco on steroids there you feel like your driving on fast forward but lap average 95mph. but here it fast forward but average is 135mph . turn 7 - turn 10 is terrifying. you have push & go beyond the limit, going faster than you feel you should do

No idea what it's like in current cars on the current layout, but the old circuit was fantastic. Schievlak, Tunnel Oost, Pulleveld (and Tarzan, obviously) - those were proper corners. Hopefully the orange army will be able to attend next year.

i was just doing this circuit F1 2020 game this afternoon & zandvoort is like nothing ive ever raced before, its monaco on steroids there you feel like your driving on fast forward but lap average 95mph. but here it fast forward but average is 135mph . turn 7 - turn 10 is terrifying. you have push & go beyond the limit, going faster than you feel you should do
Is F1 2020 going to get a track update?

Zandvoort used to have one of the straights at ear level with the inside of the track. I do miss the sound of a real racing engine.

Fear not, the hosts have to guarantee that no one involved in F1 will be deprived of equal rights, banged up without trial, brutally murdered by state thugs or bombed into the stone age during the event:

"We take our responsibilities very seriously and have made our position on human rights and other issues clear to all our partners and host countries, who commit to respect these rights in the way their events are hosted and delivered."

Anything they do outside of F1 is absolutely fine though.

:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom