The Future Of F1

I have just been on 20 days holiday; this covered 2 races. Unfortunately I was unable to set my recorder to save these races so missed these because by the time that I was awake enough to see the Chinese GP it had timed out on Channel 4. Bahrain was never possible but sounds like it was the first real race for many a year.

Did I miss not seeing them? I did actually see the start of the China race but decided not to watch as it was plain after lap 1 that nothing had changed and I knew who the first 5 were going to be but who would get the 4 place; I felt that Mrs B was more important and would take priority.

If F1 cannot hold the attention of someone who has watched/listened for many years it really must be dire and is not likely to improve by fiddling around at the edges. A total reboot is needed.

If F1 cannot hold the attention of someone who has watched/listened for many years it really must be dire and is not likely to improve by fiddling around at the edges. A total reboot is needed.

I am ranting the same tune for several years, so you aren't alone. If I may add, I really do not believe for a second that imposition of some arbitrary and nonsensical budget limits is correct remedy how to improve racing on the track. Budget in my eyes is merely a bandage on the deep wound. Rot remains.
Normative references need to be re-written from title page to the last one, and that regulatory restrictiveness which was nothing but protection racket for Mercedes over past 4 or 5 years needs to be thrown out.

Couldn't agree more. I have less and less interest in the highlights we do get as they're not great, the content has been cut down so we have lost a lot of the things I used to enjoy like for example the pre race grid walk and so on. The racing is then bad enough you can pretty much turn off after lap one and not really miss anything.

Having been watching for 25 years it's really sad that I now feel this way about a sport that I used to be really excited to watch.

Headlines are appearing that Wolff might work for Liberty pretty soon, replacing Carney, that is, unless someone issues a veto to that in first instance, or Carney's contract will be renewed, which is not that certain. It's nice and juicy subject to discuss between races. I am however more intrigued by thinnly veiled implication of that suggestion, namely, Mercedes might (will?) leave F1 and move elsewhere, a reason why Wolff could be available in the first place.
There is nothing more to win for them, and market for gasoline powered cars is depreciating rapidly. Hamilton and Bottas would consequently retire, or move elsewhere. Impact on character of the series might be potentially huge. Some, possibly shortsighted individuals might be drooling with pleasure just thinking about it, however I am not convinced that Mercedes's exit is a such excellent prospect. Future of the series might be in question as a whole.

Last edited:
Izumi I haven’t seen (or looked for) any of these headlines but if they have any basis in truth, it doesn’t necessarily follow that Merc might leave F1. Nothing more to win for them? There are championships to win, every year, unless I’m mistaken.

Your extrapolation from rumour to ‘Future of the series might be in question...’ smacks of sensationalist pot-stirring lunacy that dare I say it we are all fairly accustomed to. However it appears that I have clicked on your bait so congratulations, I award you one nonsense point. Unless you can back it up with any evidence?

Izumi I haven’t seen (or looked for) any of these headlines but if they have any basis in truth, it doesn’t necessarily follow that Merc might leave F1. Nothing more to win for them? There are championships to win, every year, unless I’m mistaken.

Your extrapolation from rumour to ‘Future of the series might be in question...’ smacks of sensationalist pot-stirring lunacy that dare I say it we are all fairly accustomed to. However it appears that I have clicked on your bait so congratulations, I award you one nonsense point. Unless you can back it up with any evidence?

Are you asking me to submit evidence that Mercedes will leave F1 series? Well, I cannot do that for rather (to some) obvious reasons. You try to figure this out on your own.

Consideration whether F1 has future is OT of this thread, and I am not exactly clear on what is your confidence based, that you feel free label others lunatics.

Article about Wolff is from Pitpass.

Depreciation of gasoline powered customer cars ...market...money from sales...support for F1... all of it are just realities of life. Some of us can connect dots, others, as apparent here, do not.

Last edited:
bit behind on this thread. toto wolff without being horrible got her test drives for majority business & publicity reasons of course she had to have some talent otherwise she wouldn't got that far & do i blame her no because she isnt the 1st & wont be last in the way F1 has been going. Perez Stroll Ericsson Ocon Russell as F1 was purely based on talent then we would see vastly different grid

Turkey voting Christmas has always been F1 problem. i remember numerous times we had this exact chat back in 2008 when manufacturers left Honda BMW & im sure their is another ive forgotten left. for F1 survival we need to do this & this. 2012 i remember Brundle having a huge tv debate with team principals at suzuka again they say all the correct things. but status quo remains & F1 gets more unsustainable. 1st it was Pay drivers as nice bonus, next Pay drivers as nessicity now its B teams.

ive said before F1 needs someone to go right these are the rules, i dont care if you lose your advantage because if F1 keeps losing teams as F1 is no point healthy finalincally then you'll be racing yourselves because haas saved us from 18 car grid red bull dont fancy it thats 14. old Lotus Sauber & force India were on the brink before their investments thats 8 . if you dont like it. there's the door bye. F1 is still fantastic publicity because like Brundle says Ferrari win i know long shot (laugh) all over the media ferrari win le mans GT or GT world championship. nobody knows. barely causes a ripple

Last edited:
i said about this F1 deal in detail & comparison to the 6 nations terrisral tv & ECB cricket C4 > sky. 1 is going well the other has taken 15yrs to realise its mistake by having some back on BBC. only domestic football can survive with exclusive rights. because of hundreds of clubs. even the champions league has struggled on BT,. 4 english clubs in champions league & europa league finals shouldve been huge but probally 800,000 - 1,000,000 watched. compared 2005 with liverpool & 2008 the last all english final got 15m. world cup semi final was getting 25m viewers

why do you think Formula E is successful. because its on terrestrial tv & a bad race people dont mind because they havent paid. when you pay £120 a yr you expect better racing

F1 seldom in its whole history was about overtaking in numbers associated with NASCAR, but at one time it was better than it is these days, if memory serves me. I can live with 2 or 3 skill based overtakes for the lead in each race, but that has to happen on track, in contrast to outcome reduced to pitting strategy of last (or maybe first) resort. Who knows if we ever get it fixed again. New ...or heavily rewritten... normative references could be a good point to start on that path.

Ban wings.
I fear it's not that simple. Intuitively I rather think it would require combination of changes in almost every subsystem on the car. To make car more agile and responsive to driver's will would probably require different tires, removing fuel restrictions, etc. Analogically, as I think about it, replacing downhill ski we have now, with mogul beaters. Tie up car control modul to driver's mind...customize it! German thinking vs. English control of the car...small things, you know...8-)

Last edited:
To fly, you needs some kind of wings, so, you cannot ban them altogether. However would simplified front perhaps satisfy American thinking (as partial remedy)?

Actually you could. Now it may take a little word-smithing in the regulations to define what a wing is. This would not end aerodynamic treatment of cars and you would certainly have spoilers, fins and other such items, but with the front and rear wings removed, you would have a drop in speed in the corners, increase on straights, drafting, nose-to-tail racing, longer braking zones, more exciting cars to watch, and probably closer racing and more passing. I don't see any down side other than we have had wings for a while so everyone is used to them.

I cannot agree with this more.

If the attrition rate of diehard supporters continues then how will they attract new viewers?

A lot of races apparently have contracts up for discussion

Carey was a bit tight lipped about Silverstone but we should hear soon which races have been renewed. I think they need to get rid of this turgid race called the Spanish GP - the track does not lend to overtaking and it has been the track of borefest

I also want to see the Hungaroring go as well

Back
Top Bottom