Movies The Best film you've ever seen?

Just watched 'Man on Fire' about a washed out messed up CIA agent Denzel Washington who takes a body guard job to protect a young girl in Mexico. Shit goes down. Corrupt cops, kidnaping ring.
Just an amazing film, I was filling up. Never really had DW on my radar much as a great actor, but now I have him up there with the best actors in world. Just fantastic story, fantastic actors. The little girl (Dakota Fanning) was amazing, went on to be in Twilight..... but don't let that put you off.

An absolute must see film.

Just watched 'Man on Fire' about a washed out messed up CIA agent Denzel Washington who takes a body guard job to protect a young girl in Mexico. Shit goes down. Corrupt cops, kidnaping ring.
Just an amazing film, I was filling up. Never really had DW on my radar much as a great actor, but now I have him up there with the best actors in world. Just fantastic story, fantastic actors. The little girl (Dakota Fanning) was amazing, went on to be in Twilight..... but don't let that put you off.

An absolute must see film.
I have to agree a million percent. Hard to better. The gentle little blond (Fanning) and the tenderness as she gets to know a huge black Washington in the first half of the film, contrasted with the raw brutality of the second half is astonishing. A brilliant movie all should see. This film was directed by Tony Scott who often chose Denzel Washington as the lead in his films. Sadly there will be no more, Tony Scott killed himself last year, very tragic. If you want a follow-up by Scott starring Washington try 'Deja Vu'. Science fiction done so well you feel as though your watching reality. The last Scott/Washington combination before Scotts death, 'Unstoppable' is another good film based loosely on fact. There are others and it's fair to say if you see a movie directed by Tony Scott starring Denzel Washington, WATCH IT. Don't forget to watch 'Deja Vu'. Cheers Greenlantern101 and Mephistopheles :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Man on Fire is a great film and DW is one fine actor. Actually I didn't think much of Deja Vu, but Washington somehow saves the movie. Hist best role, look no futher than Philadelphia.

Completely off topic but everytime I see this thread pop up in Recent Posts I have to add one. So with that... SOURCE CODE! We went to see it in theaters when it came out a few years ago and were completely amazed. We came for a different movie (Sucker Punch) that they weren't showing that night so watched this instead. Had no clue what it was about cuz the commercials were just an exploding train and the words "enter the source code" and ended up with my mind blown to bits. Funny if you watch it over with people who haven't seen it and just look at their face at the end. Figurative brains spewing out of their ears.

Olivier ..... I wouldn't suggest 'Deja Vu' equals 'Man On Fire' but I found it intriguing, though it's fair to say both leads, Washington and Paula Patton helped make the movie what it is. Washington always works well with his leading ladies and Paula Patton is no exception. As far as Denzel Washingtons best role, there are so many I couldn't single one out. Your comment, DW is one fine actor says it all, a fine actor in every sense.

Last edited:
Strange how different people see things differently. I thought Man on Fire was formulaic and predictable and can't think of a single film with Denzel Washington in that I've enjoyed with the exception of the remake of the Manchurian Candidate but there you go, wouldn't do if we were all the same.

On Saturday evening at my old man's place, I watched a great film recorded from Film4.

"Don't Look Now"; 1973, directed by Nicholas Roeg; starring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie.

A truly weird film, very atmospheric and haunting, with scenes from Venice. It kept me gripped from the start.

I won't say any more, in case you haven't seen it, but it's well worth a watch...

Last edited:
Strange how different people see things differently. I thought Man on Fire was formulaic and predictable and can't think of a single film with Denzel Washington in that I've enjoyed with the exception of the remake of the Manchurian Candidate but there you go, wouldn't do if we were all the same.
Thank God were not otherwise I wouldn't have loved "Man on Fire". :)

Olivier : Washington is indeed a fine actor. Man on Fire is a good movie, but i like him better in American Gangster and in The Inside Man he is pretty good aswell and a damn good movie.

Brings us to Clive Owen, like him a lot in Children Of men.

Last edited:
I'm addicted to "Independence Day". Total rubbish, but such a feel good film, I love it. For Christmas I love "Polar Express".
Others I can't miss are "Where Eagles Dare" and ... "The Fog"

Back
Top Bottom