Pre-Season The 2021 Season...

ah great minds FB i was waiting for the announcement because i heard it was 50/50 of the Japanese GP taken place but it is off. but what is also worrying for F1 is that, it might not be the only 1 because & after this triple header i can see some tough times coming up for F1 because

Russia - 3rd Highest deaths in the last 7 days (acccording to WHO)
Turkey - On the UK Red list
Japan - Cancelled
USA - 4th Highest deaths in the last 7 days, many things festivals in austin have been cancelled & Moto Gp is highly touted to be have a european round instead of COTA
Mexico - 5th Highest deaths in the last 7 days
Brazil - 2nd Highest deaths in the last 7 days & has been alongside india the no go area of the last 6 months
Austraila - Cancelled

temp 1.jpg

F1Brits_90 - well after Italy, we could go to Spain, then Portugal, then maybe head out to the middle east for a few rounds…

as you saying. the issue is we are fast running out of circuits to race at, because we already done imola & portugal at the start, Malaysia would be out of the frying pan into the fire from what ive read, October is too late for Nurburgring, but Mugello could take an early october slot & they might have to go back to Bahrain to use the GP circuit & Outer circuit.

but worst case scenario we see USA Mexico & Brazil all off. might end up in either Jerez, Thailand Qatar or how about this for a curveball with a grade 1 circuit South Korea

F1Brits_90 - I was really struggling with how there was an expectation that F1 would end up in Brazil, Mexico, or the USA - and with the growth in cases in Japan, there was no way that the circus was going to end up there.

Qatar was a possible destination, but with what’s going on in Afghanistan, and the fact that the Taliban gained refuge in Qatar, that might not be a great destination. Mugello would be great after Monza. Estoril could return to the calendar (a September date would work there). You could combine that with races at Jerez, and then Aragon (which has 4 layouts with grade 1 certification)

could we worst case scenario possibly see

3rd Oct - Turkey
10th Oct - Mugello
24th Oct - Jerez
7th Nov - Indianapolis
21st Nov - Bahrain GP
28th Nov - Bahrain Outer
5th Dec - Saudi Arabia
12th Dec - Abu Dhabi

You might as well write off USA as there was a poll which came up with one third of Americans will never get the jab. That pretty well screws the rest of us as well.

I've heard the new Government in Afghanistan are seeking a public relations boost and will shortly have a large unused airfield at Bagram which would be ideally suited to conversion into a race track.
Yes... and the audience will be not only near the track, but also on the track

could we worst case scenario possibly see

3rd Oct - Turkey
10th Oct - Mugello
24th Oct - Jerez
7th Nov - Indianapolis
21st Nov - Bahrain GP
28th Nov - Bahrain Outer
5th Dec - Saudi Arabia
12th Dec - Abu Dhabi
I can’t see a return to Bahrain - simply because they raced there at the beginning of the season. It would be quite a precedent to return to a circuit later in the season. (I also think that if common sense intervenes, they won’t race in Turkey - but in reality, they will).

Rather than Bahrain, I could see the Saudi Arabian GP being moved forward to the 14th November, followed by a triple header in the UAE - Dubai followed by Abu Dhabi. (There’s a great road from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, so they could hire some trucks to transport the circus from one to the other)

Last edited:
Still, it is strange that the Japanese refused to stage Formula 1
despite the fact that they held the Olympics and are now holding the Paralympics.
As a last resort, it was possible to spend Formula 1 without an audience.

also been reading a few reports & according to german AMUS Indianapolis looking realistic as either a replacement for COTA or an American doubleheader. which seems unlikely considering the lack of hospital spaces in Texas

Yes... "a GP is minor " also means that risk of COVID is less if without audience
true but they arent keen on sport, you have to respect the Japanese wishes & a annual F1 GP is easier to cancel than a Olympics. that took decade to bid plan & stage. were they realistically didnt have a choice but to plow on

Last edited:
true but they arent keen on sport, you have to respect the Japanese wishes & a annual F1 GP is easier to cancel than a Olympics. that took decade to bid plan & stage. were they realistically didnt have a choice but to plow on
may be you're right.
They have already lost a lot at the Olympics without an audience.
I hope they will quickly cope with the deterioration of the situation with Covid
given the discipline of the residents of Japan

the difference with the Olympics and a Grand Prix is there is political interest and it is a sense of pride for the government

They would feel very ashamed and embarrassed if they could not hold the biggest sporting event in the world and don't want to be remembered as the nation that failed to host the Olympics.... any nation apart from those that are deemed corrupt would want to make sure the Olympics are held. If they could not pull it off it would jeopardise their chances of hosting major sporting events. They want to avoid this especially as they are also staking the IOC's credibility

As fanatical the Japanese fans are, its only Honda's pride that is hurt as they own the track if the race was cancelled

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom