The 2009 British Grand Prix

Kovalainen's probably filled the cockpit with fuel as well looking at that. I wouldn't recommend it!

Hamilton -[glow=#FF0000:yjq60upf]666[/glow:yjq60upf]! I haven't a clue what is happening at McLaren, boga, except they have a dog of a car. (And haven't been paid by the FOM, apparently)

Vettel looks like he's taken a lot of an unnamed brand of energy drink* to pull out that lap!

*Lucozade

Did you all notice how it was suddenly "Good old Silverstone" today? every body interviewed from drivers to Team Principles didn't have a bad word to say about the fans and the track. Suddenly it was as if the British gp was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Ok so some of it may be down to the fact that those interviewed were being polite to the home broadcaster but you seldom hear drivers waxing lyrical about race circuits and crowds at other venues. You only have to look back to Turkey or the middle east races to see the effect of high paying venues versus sport interest.

No wonder Bernie has suddenly performed a major about face and declared that there will be a British GP next year regardless of venue.

Indeed.

The figure of 300,000 fans over the whole weekend was mentioned.
Quite a difference from some of those circuits which are largely government funded.

bro, what about a LH and a jenson effect? could be me but seemed like a whole lotta people were fans. i am taking nothing away from silverstone as such, but i think that was pretty obvious. i myself cannot remember the last time a turkish let alone an arabic driver was either WDC or leading the standing.

In fairness Boga the British Grand Prix is always pretty well attended, even when there isn't sniff of a British winner. The Button factor may have had an effect on the practice days but race day always sells out. It also proves that the entrance price is not the main driver when it comes to getting bums on seats. The British GP is one of the most expensive (if not the most expensive) to attend yet people flock there.

What this does show is that what the circuit pays and TV money is far more important than the income provided by the spectator, which is quite sad for those of us who would like to watch a race live every now and again but have fewer options as they get moved to different time zones.

One thing that amazed me this weekend was Bernies about face when it came to the future of the British GP. As I was driving in to work this morning I think I have the answer as to why.

If Donny dosn't get ready in time (this now appears to be more likely given the finacial woes) there Bernies view was Donny or nothing. Silverstone was free to sign up whatever they wanted without F1 and there in lines the fact. What better way to head off a FOTA GB Grand Prix than by promising Silverstone the GP next year if it's needed. That way Bernie has them on side because if they did sign for FOTA then there is no way that he would let Silverstone run the race and also he gives the British fans a boost and scores some good PR.

Whats the bets that if, on Thursday, at their meeting FOTA do produce a calendar we either see Silverstone on the list which will be denied by the BRDC (I bet the party line will be "we haven't spoken to FOTA about hosting a race") or the FOTA GB GP is shown as being at Brands which is possibly the only other track that could host a race of that size?

Fat Bloke said:
In fairness Boga the British Grand Prix is always pretty well attended, even when there isn't sniff of a British winner. The Button factor may have had an effect on the practice days but race day always sells out. It also proves that the entrance price is not the main driver when it comes to getting bums on seats. The British GP is one of the most expensive (if not the most expensive) to attend yet people flock there.

Don't forget Formula One was forged in Britain and Italy. This is why the Britalian GPs are the only GPs to have the full house 60 in F1! Britaly is the home of F1!

bogaTYR said:
i myself cannot remember the last time a turkish let alone an arabic driver was either WDC or leading the standing.

Well, that'd be because there has never been an Arabic driver in F1[sup]1[/sup], herein lies the problem.

Even if Britaly doesn't need a home driver, look at attendances to the Spanish GP pre-Alonso. Look at German GPs pre-Schumacher[sup]2[/sup] - I bet the atmosphere at the Nurburgring will be Vetteled this year! The most successful Asian race in terms of bums-on-seats, Japan, has its own drivers to cheer on[sup]3[/sup].

The most passionate races will have someone local at least in the race! We can't recreate the atmosphere in last year's Brazilian GP[sup]4[/sup] all the time, but maybe if we're going to have new races we should think about this. The Finnish GP, for example. They have Raikkonen, Kovalainen and half of Rosberg so there'd be no lack of interest there.

Or maybe someone should give Zsolt Baumgartner and Alex Yoong returns to F1!

[sup]1[/sup]With the exception of a driver or two in the 1958 Moroccan GP - and as far as I can tell they were in the F2 version anyway
[sup]2[/sup]I don't believe for a second he's the Stig!
[sup]3[/sup]Yes, they are generally awful
[sup]4[/sup]Home driver, WDC beckons, it is unlikely to be repeated

Back
Top Bottom