The 1,000MPH car - Bloodhound!

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
Bloodhound supersonic car project axed

This whole thing is very fishy. The fact they can't get more funding means I'm not the only one who doesn't trust them.

Sad day for land speed record fans.
I hope an investigation is launched by one of their investors. I want to know what happened and who is going to jail.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
There was a big article on it and its failure in this month's Motorsport magazine which basically pointed out that no one gives a crap about land speed records anymore.

gethinceri

Daniil Kvyat Fan. Alfa Romeo Fan.
Contributor
I think it's quite simple. This is not like landing on the moon, an asteroid or Mars. It is almost a self-indulgence.
There is no obvious benefit to travelling at the speed of sound on land, it's unnecessary.
There has been no government funding, it's all been private sponsorship or equipment donation/loan.
Although it's a fascinating engineering project I got bored very early on.
Am I disappointed? Yes.
Am I surprised? No.

Andyoak

Race Winner
My daughter was fascinated when she went to the roadshow they did; and it's interesting from an engineering point of view, but...
Somehow, it doesn't feel like a land speed record when you're basically strapping a jet engine or rocket onto a rolling chassis. In my head I feel a land speed record should have driven wheels.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
And I think the last two posts have captured most people's thoughts on the project most succinctly.

Basically the 1000mph figure was plucked out of thin air as a target. As pointed out in Motorsport, only the US, Britain and a handful of commonwealth countries still use Miles as a figure so for the bulk of the world that figure means nothing.

Dartman

Points Scorer
If or when the 1000mph barrier is achieved then that is the end of land speed record attempts, even at 1000mph it is debatable whether or not the car is a plane in ground effect and the computers just manage to keep the wheels touching the ground, then if that is the case does it need a driver, or is he there to comply with the rules?

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
If you watch Andy Green in the Thrust SSC he had a full lock tail slide at 600mph trust me he isn't just there for the rule book.

Last edited:

Dartman

Points Scorer
Greenlantern101 yes, but Thrust SSC is old technology,with todays latest tech the car would be corrected long before a tail slide could develop, just think about the Typhoon fighter jet, that is so unstable it can't be flown by a pilot without micro processor stabilisation.

Top Bottom