Team Radio & Bringing the sport in disrepute

The race edits are misleading with the team radio, they play the team radio whenever it suits the video, and that radio message came when Hamilton was behind Massa the second time.
Also, there have been worse things said on the radio. For example, an advice for a professional assassin:

Rubens didn't "kill" anyone though, as far as i remember. Hamilton "destroyed" his own race by locking up and hitting Massa. Let's not make more of this than there is.

"Team radio & bringing the sport in disrepute"

One thing what really annoys me about the team radio is when a team gives the driver information to attack or has a problem, the other team finds out straightaway, I just don't like that, it ruins the drivers race that's attacking just because another team can hear "certain" team radio...

Anyone bringing up the Barrichello incident is just being disingenous, and they know it.

And anyone bringing up the Massa incident is just the same...

I can easily take out a comment out of context and put it into a video, which has been done in the race edit many times, and it has been done in this one.

Anyone bringing up the Barrichello incident is just being disingenous, and they know it.

Especially as this context involves lewis getting a penalty and Massa calling for further punishment

Can't just be dismissed as semantics or 'people say worse'

Imagine it was Lewis' engineer saying this, and then there was later contact with the guy behind

And the fact that Hamilton destroyed his own race and it wasn't Massa?

Why is it when it's always Hamilton it's always different? If it was said regarding to some other driver it would be deemed as normal. Small team radio blown out of proportion?:

They were racing each other for position; destroying your competitor's race by deliberately holding them up around a street circuit is just racing. I don't get what the big stink is about. Was Massa supposed to let Hamilton by? Last I checked, drivers were supposed to hang onto a position like a dog hangs onto the postman's leg especially if it's on a street track.

Poor choice of words by Smedley, but it's not as if he meant "Destroy his car!!! Go on son!!!!"

Why is it when it's always Hamilton it's always different? If it was said regarding to some other driver it would be deemed as normal.

LOL

the rules don't allow for hindering or destroying a competitors chances or taking revenge, it's the spirit of these words especially after what happens in quali, but this situation is normal as you say!

I have absolutely no issue with a driver being 'used' to hold up another driver to help the team mate out. That's a matter for within the team. I'm not sure I would take it to mean anything other than ruin his race. I also don't think it had anything to do with the puncture.

What I do take issue with is the choice of words firstly - it's unsporting. Secondly that this edit shows Massa role was mark another driver so there seemed to be absolutely no intention within the Ferrari team of Massa scoring as many points as possible which leads me to my third gripe with that instruction...

"There’s no point in me hiding the disappointment and anger I feel at the end of a race that could have delivered a very different result.The damage following contact with Hamilton penalised me alot" Massa
"Felipe could also have been up there with him [Alonso], but his race was ruined by the puncture caused by Hamilton" Dominicalli

So what?? They clearly had no intention of ensuring Massa finished as high as possible and how dare they come out and use the terms 'ruined' and 'anger' after their very own driver was instructed to concentrate on destroying Hamilton's race! There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is a witch hunt and I damn well hope Whitmarsh steps up and tackles this one. Absolute disgrace from a nasty little team and the pathetic man Massa has become.

So what?? They clearly had no intention of ensuring Massa finished as high as possible and how dare they come out and use the terms 'ruined' and 'anger' after their very own driver was instructed to concentrate on destroying Hamilton's race!

Concentrating on Hamilton's race since Hamilton was directly behind them on track? Or was he deliberately slow and destroying Hamilton's race?

Hamilton was one of their main competitors in the race, as we saw with Massa's pace he was matching Alonso and Webber and Hamilton was faster, was he meant to let Hamilton through? :dunno:

It's not as if Domenicalli was on the radio and specifically said Massa destroy his race!

Obviously "destroy" isn't a great word, but Smedley doesn't use the greatest words on his team radio does he

And the fact that Hamilton destroyed his own race and it wasn't Massa?

Why is it when it's always Hamilton it's always different? If it was said regarding to some other driver it would be deemed as normal. Small team radio blown out of proportion?:

They were racing each other for position; destroying your competitor's race by deliberately holding them up around a street circuit is just racing. I don't get what the big stink is about. Was Massa supposed to let Hamilton by? Last I checked, drivers were supposed to hang onto a position like a dog hangs onto the postman's leg especially if it's on a street track.

Poor choice of words by Smedley, but it's not as if he meant "Destroy his car!!! Go on son!!!!"

The penalty and the incident are irrelevant. What is relevant is that a driver was instructed, or encouraged, to destroy another driver's race. This is not sporting.

I think I've shown that my issue is with the way they implied in post race quotes that Massa was having his own race and out to score as many points as possible when that clearly was not the case. So why be so venomous in their response to the puncture. It's not sporting, it's not nice and it's not on.

Suzuka is coming up and this puts me in mind of Suzuka, 1997 when Irivine deliberately and brutally held and backed up Villeneuve, destroying his (JV's) race after letting Schumacher into the lead of the race and, effectively, the lead in the World Championship (which he lost eventhough he tried to brutally chop Villeneuve at the next/final race at Jerez).

We in Canada didn't moan about it because that's the way Ferrari operated.

You’ve done nothing but moan about Schumacher ever since lol.

Also folks remember the opposite, Schumacher deliberately holding up Hakkinen up to allow Irvine to win the race to fight for the WDC on Schumacher’s first race back to F1 in Malaysia after the leg break injury in 1999, he even gave up the lead to Irvine to slow down further to hold 3rd place Hakkinen up. The only comments then was how Schumacher was making everyone look so slow such was his speed at that race, almost to the embarrassment of the other drivers.

Its nothing new, just gamesmanship to me. Besides as I’ve said before I believe the focus was probably not to slow Hamilton down as much as possible but was to keep him behind as long as possible, slight difference. Maybe poor choice of words by Smedley and now people are jumping on those words and making more out of them. But could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom