Strange Driver Choices...

...or he's driving what!?

Based on the discussion in the Sutil thread I thought I'd ask you to suggest the strangest choice of drivers a team has ever made.

I'll kick you off with Derek Daly at Williams - the story I heard is that FW said get that Derek bloke, meaning Warwick, but someone misunderstood and Mr Daly stepped into what should have been the drive of his dreams only for it to turn into a nightmare.

Anyone got any others?

Didn't Toyota sign the wrong Schumacher by mistake?

I also was a bit confused how Verstappen landed the Benetton drive in 94 - was Lehto that bad they had to drop him.

Also Wurz driving for Williams in 2007 was a very odd one after 7 years out of the sport and not exactly a glorious career beforehand!

Didn't Toyota sign the wrong Schumacher by mistake?

I also was a bit confused how Verstappen landed the Benetton drive in 94 - was Lehto that bad they had to drop him.

Also Wurz driving for Williams in 2007 was a very odd one after 7 years out of the sport and not exactly a glorious career beforehand!

Didn't Lehto have a pre-season shunt that put him out of the running? Broke his neck, didn't he?

...Toyota were the kings of the odd driver choices, weren't they?:snigger: (Half Schumacher...)

To be fair ro Wurz, he was awesome in his early appearances, but when Benetton went backwards, so did he.

It is easy with hindsight to wonder how X got the seat at Y.

Look at Giancarlo Fisichella at Ferrari, race before he'd nearly won in a Force India. Bad choice though.
I struggle to see what Renault achieved by parachuting Jacques Villeneuve in for the end of 2004, however...

I'm still :thinking: about this question. I think I'd have had an easier time trying to come up with stupid ones :o. The strangest ones aren't so strange since they were/are invariably pay drivers ... I think someone already mentioned that but with so much stuff to read on this forum I haven't the time to go back through this thread or find it if it was in another :bored:. Sorry about that.

Nigel Mansell going to Mclaren in 1995. Missed 2 races as the cockpit was to small for him. In the races which he did do the car was uncompetitive, then he quit before mid-season.:embarrassed:

I don't want to include the obvious pay drivers, since from the teams' point of view they often had little choice.

So I'll go for Pedro de la Rosa at Sauber last season. Seemed odd to me right from the start - to be fair, he probably did better than I expected.

Not really. Pedro's a solid peddler with masses of development experience and Sauber possibly hoped he would divulge some McLaren "insights" ;)

Back
Top Bottom