Site changes over the coming few weeks

This is what has been implemented for the user groups.

user-group-styling.png

So if you see a coloured user name, this is why.

The Valued Member group is manually applied and used for former staff members and individuals who make large contributions to the site (e.g. cider_and_toast, Mike, canis, etc.).
This styling will override all account upgrades other than Premium Contributor.

Staff don't have styling applied to the user name but they do have a green panel below their avatar.
This enables user name styling to be applied to staff also.

I'm not totally happy with this system but it's set and forget, so I don't need to worry about maintaining it going forward.

And thanks to Mike's genius CSS-Fu, the underline is now the same colour as the user name.

Something which had thwarted me on more than one occasion.

Off-topic and maybe slightly silly question, but what's an ex-member? Someone whose profile has been deleted?

Yes, someone who has asked for their account to be closed or deleted.

We don't specifically delete accounts just in case they change their mind, so we add them to that group.

Oh and bear in mind that there will be a lot of new stuff in 1.2 so the user group stuff may change again, depending on what functions are included.

I thought the sidebar was looking a bit garish so the user name styling will no longer be applied there.
Instead it will only appear in posts below the avatar on the left.

I feel that is a good compromise as it maintains the look of the forum index but also recognises those who have purchased upgrades.

Bum.

I'll add that to the To Do list.

Perhaps I can get away with renaming Team-mate to something else (Teammate for example).
I use firefox on a desktop and yes it is wrapping why not just use FF1 as I suggested everyone knows what it means and you don't have to worry about all the different browsers.

And I still can't upload a file I must check that out...

Oh, well now I see this:
Capture.PNG

Did you change something?

EDIT: Yep, you changed something I'm just blind!

EDIT2: I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it (had barely even noticed it) if you just leave it how it was before!

There are only 4 purchasable upgrades: Donator, Supporter, Contributor and Premium Contributor.

upgrades.PNG

Once you have purchased an upgrade, any below that automatically become unavailable.

So as you have already purchased the Contributor upgrade, which is permanent, the Supporter and Donator are no longer available.

For anyone purchasing the Premium Contributor upgrade, if they ever cancel, they automatically default to the Contributor group.

So in both cases the only upgrade available is the Premium Contributor.

The other groups are all internal and related to site functionality: registered, banned, etc.

I have seen the light oh wise one

Edit : Can I make suggestion. I can now no longer make a one off contribution, only a yearly subscription. Their should be a repeatable donation option that doesn't automatically subscribe you. If a non premium member feels the urge to give you even more money they can without becoming premium......did that make sense?

More money is good :D

If it's £12 though you might as well purchase the Premium Contributor, if only for 1 year.

Otherwise there is a PayPal donate link on the home page :)
paypal.PNG

There's also a donate link in the Overtaking forum now, which hopefully some of the many visitors who just come to see the data will use: http://cliptheapex.com/forums/overtaking/
donate-link.PNG

I'm quite happy with how the site does though as far as upgrades and the like are concerned (thanks largely to canis and the free server), so these are all entirely voluntary and I never like to make members feel forced into purchasing or donating :)

Back
Top Bottom