Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

I don't see any evidence that one driver has hindered the other in McLaren, in fact you can even trust them both when they're racing each other. There are natural frustrations when there is the possibility of position swap to provide a better driver/team outcome but as Ferrari get such a rough time for their policy it's a little hypocritical to continue that frustration post heat of the moment/race. Most of any anxieties are fuelled by speculation and Mclaren incompetence.

I think as a driver Hamilton is worth the pounds but he needs to manage his frustrations better as McLaren are incredibly corporate. The relationship is a strange one, almost that of assumed unconditional love.

I get the impression that the relationship between Hamilton and McLaren is significantly different to when Ron Dennis was running the team.
Whitmarsh and Hamilton always look extremely uncomfortable together.

I suspect that is also playing a factor with regards to who Hamilton wants to race for, for the next year or several.

I dont think for one sec he and Whitmarsh get along, I would have always thought Ron would be there to step up but I'm beginning to think the trace tweet might have been a nail in his negotiating power coffin.

Brogan I think the dynamic has changed, even in Lewis' relationship with Ron Dennis, as it was Ron who first mentioned the financial constraints of the contract situation.

I will be honest, I have been with the same company for 23 years, and the thought of moving crosses my mind from time to time, so I can understand (in my own little way) what Lewis is thinking at the moment. A wrong choice now could cost him, with a contract crossing over the major changes.

Sometime, familiarity with surroundings leads to a need to shake things up, to get a new focus, but it really needs to be done with the right intentions. I cant help thinking that a move if only to re-focus on the important things and to get away from the familiar would do him some good, regardless of the immediate success or otherwise.

I don't think those tweets did Lewis any favours whatsoever and were a rather silly thing to do especially during contract negotiation time couple this with his somewhat outspoken negative opinion of the team and some other indiscretions bringing bad publicity, he seems to be a rather difficult character to handle..

The saying that all publicity is good publicity is completely wrong, just ask the editor of the News of the World she'll tell you...

If I change this around, what conditions would have to be met by Mercedes for them to be a viable option? I would say things like:
  1. Ross Brawn dedicated to the sport for at least the next five years.
  2. Mercedes dedicated to the sport for at least the next five years.
  3. Mercedes willing to invest and expand to Red Bull/Ferrari type levels to get to the front.
  4. Development for the 2014 engine at an advanced stage and believed to be competitive. Amount invested in engine development equal to or greater than the other manufacturers.
  5. Mercedes/Brawn willing to support Hamilton in the way that Red Bull/Horner support Vettel.
  6. Appropriate salary in comparison to Alonso, Vettel etc.
  7. More control over media commitments.
  8. More relaxed atmosphere/slightly less corporate?
I think Mercedes might be able to offer most of that. The main issue is whether the investment in the team combined with Brawn can match the likes of Newey and the well oiled McLaren machine. I think if he does move Hamilton would have to drive out of his skin in 2013, even if the car is rubbish, to really get everyone on board and behind him, which might drive the investment in the team going forward.

McLaren can't or supposedly can't match numbers 4 to 8. The amount of money they have post-Mercedes may also be an issue for no. 3, but they do have the history and system in place to produce winning cars.

The 2014 engines was something I hadn't really factored in before and makes the debate more difficult I think.

Ross Brawn committed to the sport for the next 5 years. Maybe.
Mercedes committed for the next 5 years. They couldn't and wouldn't provide that sort of guarantee as a company with interests way beyond F1.
Regarding engine development no one will know until the first race of 2014 who's got it right and certainly they can't believe they're competitive without knowing what level of development Ferrari and Renault have reached.

They couldn't and wouldn't provide that sort of guarantee as a company with interests way beyond F1.
Not a guarantee, but by asking the right questions added in with whispers around the paddock and a bit of rumour you can read in-between the lines as to whether or not they see it as a long term project and are in it for the long haul.

Regarding engine development no one will know until the first race of 2014 who's got it right
That's true to, but again bits and pieces make their way to the media as regards to what stage everyone is at.

I just posted this in the Mclaren thread but it would appear to be more relevant here:

I'm not sure what I'm allowed to post in here, or if it's being discussed else where...so delete/move as you see fit.

Apparently Mclaren are offering Hamilton two thirds of what Button's currently getting, which they surely know he won't stand for. I don't believe Mclaren have purposefully hindered Hamilton at any point, sadly all their F ups have been down to incompetence, not malice. I do believe Button gels better with Whitmarsh at least. The most recent name I heard touted for Hamilton's seat was Heikki Kovalainen. If that's true, it seems obvious Mclaren do not want two top level drivers.

Maybe what Mclaren want is a team focussed on one top level driver, without having to actively favour anybody, so they're elbowing one out to bring in a less talented, more submissive points scorer. The bit I don't understand is that it's Hamilton they're elbowing out. Maybe I'm bias because I'm a fan, but unless Button's 2012 ends the same way his 2011 did Hamilton would appear to be the one they'd want to keep if it's winning and scoring points that's important to them. For all the misfortune he's faced this year it's Hamilton that's been doing the points scoring and winning the most.

As I mentioned earlier the overall the points tally isn't the different and like you said EvilWhippet Whitmarsh does seem to gel better with Button and also Jenson is more sponsor friendly.

I have heard nothing about the two thirds of Jenson contract though....

Back
Top Bottom