Singapore 2009

BlackCountryBob said:
I would love to see an onboard of Rosbergs lap in Q2, only the last corner was shown on TV and it looked stellar. Any idea where to find something like this?
About the only place I can think of is YouTube (before it gets removed by FOM) or possibly the BBC highlights.
You could also try the BBC iPlayer.

I think the order was pretty much sorted as you say, apart from perhaps Rosberg who looked like he was on a flyer.

Hopefully the weights will be out soon so we'll know who's where.

I have just seen the weights but no lap predictions but what I can say is Hamilton is on a blinder, he is heavier than Vettel, Rosberg, Webber and Alonso but it looks like everyone in the top ten will be within perhaps 2 or 3 laps of each other. Meanwhile, Button has enough fuel to drive to the moon and back.

http://www.forumula1.net/2009/f1/f1-new ... r-weights/

Is Hamilton really that much faster than everyone else or would he have been swallowed up by the cars behind him if they had completed their laps? I imagine there are a few glum faces at Red Bull after seeing those numbers. Also, loving the racy strategy from Liuzzi from the back row, Sir, I lift my hat to you :goodday:.

My Prediction for tomorrows race:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Alonso

I hope Barrichello can haul himself up in to the top 5 and Button finishes with Zero points. Roll on sunday!

King_Alonso786 said:
My Prediction for tomorrows race:

1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Alonso
I don't think I'd argue with that.
It's looking good for the guys who are fuelled slightly heavier.

A safety car though and it is all gonna go wrong for those guys at the front. Someone from the midfield could make a big jump if a safety car comes out at the right time (by coincidence of course). If it is a clean race though, Lewis is well set for the win.

Anyone want to make a prediction about how badly those on the dirty side of the grid will be hurt? That inside of the straight (even numbered positions) is never used so is even more dusty and un-rubbered than the rest of the track, surely Kimi with KERS will jump both Brawns on the dirty side. I would go as far as to tip him as a dark horse for a good points finish and maybe a podium.

Is Hamilton really 2 seconds faster than his team-mate fuel adjusted? You have to say either Hamilton is better than we thought or Heikki is having a mare.

With that fuel load it could be Hamilton's, even if the race is neutralised he should have an advantage. However, could Nico Rosberg win his second consecutive Singapore Grand Prix maiden race?

BlackCountryBob said:
Anyone want to make a prediction about how badly those on the dirty side of the grid will be hurt? That inside of the straight (even numbered positions) is never used so is even more dusty and un-rubbered than the rest of the track, surely Kimi with KERS will jump both Brawns on the dirty side. I would go as far as to tip him as a dark horse for a good points finish and maybe a podium.
Well as long as there is space for him to get past then Kimi could quite easily gain a few places off the start.

teabagyokel said:
Is Hamilton really 2 seconds faster than his team-mate fuel adjusted? You have to say either Hamilton is better than we thought or Heikki is having a mare.
The problem with this grid tby is a lot of drivers didn't manage to do their last flying lap, although I suppose the same goes for Lewis so it all probably evens out more or less in the end.

I read an interview with Heikki and he said that while he did lock up a few times on his lap which damaged his time, he was also using a used hard tyre while Lewis went straight out on brand new softs which surely explains a pretty big chunk of that 2 seconds.

This track clearly gives a premium on knowing your car: the bottom 4 are the mid-season replacements:

17 Alguersuari
18 Fisichella
19 Grosjean
20 Liuzzi

Nice to see Barrichello's novel way of saving fuel in Q3!

I wonder if the track's rubbering in helped Hamilton, he was 6/10s clear of the field, and he was the last runner. :goodday: Hats off! But thanks for the Heikki explanation, BCB!

I'm struggling to see where Alonso is so strong as has been suggested, but he's a quality driver so we'll just wait and see. I'd have not expected him to win last year's race without a meticulously planned Safety Car. :embarrassed:

I think Kovalainen, Raikkonen and Fisichella's KERS, at the mid to back of the field, could cause absolute chaos at turn 1, and we might see the Safety Car leading the pack around for a while. I wonder who'll be mad/brave enough to go 1 stop if such an event occurs?

You've got to wonder if Nakajima, Button and Raikkonen could feature on the podium, as long as Nakijima doesn't slow down in the race then there's a possibility they can stay in touch, single stopping on a track where it's as easy to make a pass as a convent!

Well, there is more than one question mark over Nakajima to be honest. He really needs a good performance at some point soon to convince people that he's worth his place in F1.

The other thing to note is that the two-stoppers at Monza were only beaten by the Brawns... I think track position tends to be pivotal - added fuel is a bonus! The likelihood is that Hamilton, Rosberg and Vettel will be at least a pitstop ahead of Nakajima at their first stop, imo, should the race be natural (ie. no SC).

teabagyokel said:
I'm struggling to see where Alonso is so strong as has been suggested, but he's a quality driver

You mean you cant see where Alonso is strong in Singapore? Well he was wringing the neck of the R29 and throwing the milk float around like nobody else did so yeah.. he is very strong in all departments on nearly every track as is Hamilton

(6th) 5th was a phenomenal result considering how poor the Renault R29 really is

I meant the Alonso package, I was not slighting the driver, I'm just not sure anyone could get that beast on the podium. You can't fault Alonso's effort, workrate and sheer results considering he's driving for a self-destructing team in a rubbish car.

He's beat Grosjean + Piquet by 20-0 on points.

However, I don't see Alonso on the podium tbh.

i can only see one reason why LH is this heavy.

last time he had this 2 stopper and lost the race cos of that. mainly he could not get enough distance between him and the brawns. now he is heavier so he might pit later and get the advantage this way. instead of getting a distance right after the start, he now seems to try to create that distance at the end of the first stint. the extra weight is pretty much compensated by the KERS

tyres tyres tyre... will LH keep his tyres alive for that long? i have a bad feeling about this, mainly cos LH in my opinion will have to slow down at the end of the stint to keep the tyres alive. my thoughts for the podium, vettel, kovy and rubens.

bogaTYR said:
He's not that heavy compared to some of the other drivers and isn't even the heaviest.

last time he had this 2 stopper and lost the race cos of that.
He didn't win in Monza because he wasn't on the 1 stopper which was the better strategy.
In most cases a 2 stopper is the way to go so he's not doing anything unusual :s

tyres tyres tyre... will LH keep his tyres alive for that long? i have a bad feeling about this, mainly cos LH in my opinion will have to slow down at the end of the stint to keep the tyres alive. my thoughts for the podium, vettel, kovy and rubens.
Well he doesn't seem to have had any major problems so far this year?
Kovy on the podium?
He had the better strategy at the last race, was first on the grid of the 1 stoppers, lost about 3 places on the first lap and ended up over a minute behind the leaders.
Starting down in 9th I feel he will struggle to get anywhere near it.

EL_NANDO, I've deleted your last 2 posts for obvious reasons.

You've been asked nicely several times now to respect the forum rules.
Consider this your last warning.

Brogan said:
bogaTYR said:
He's not that heavy compared to some of the other drivers and isn't even the heaviest.

last time he had this 2 stopper and lost the race cos of that.
He didn't win in Monza because he wasn't on the 1 stopper which was the better strategy.
In most cases a 2 stopper is the way to go so he's not doing anything unusual :s

[quote:pcqugdk3]tyres tyres tyre... will LH keep his tyres alive for that long? i have a bad feeling about this, mainly cos LH in my opinion will have to slow down at the end of the stint to keep the tyres alive. my thoughts for the podium, vettel, kovy and rubens.
Well he doesn't seem to have had any major problems so far this year?
Kovy on the podium?
He had the better strategy at the last race, was first on the grid of the 1 stoppers, lost about 3 places on the first lap and ended up over a minute behind the leaders.
Starting down in 9th I feel he will struggle to get anywhere near it.[/quote:pcqugdk3]

true bro but compared to previous races the difference in fuel weight is remarkable
a 2 stop strategy in monza was considered by most of the analysts i heard as 'suicidal'
i still think LH's crash at monza was a tyre issue, plus you have to remember, this is the first time LH tries this heavy strategy. if he does go of on his dash and push scenario with a heavy fuel load, he is going to murder his tyres. also, LH has come into the pits several times earlier then planned cos of tyre issues
we'll see about kovy. i just thought he looked ok :)

Back
Top Bottom