Singapore 2009

Has Vettel taken a new engine? I have mentioned before Red Bull's cunning Baldrick like plan to take one new engine in practice and then another new for the race using the "BOGOF" theory, as they would then only be hit by one 10 place penalty

RickD said:
I still would have thoguht the FIA would stop a team doing that, but then again, it is the FIA, so who knows.. :dunno:
Perhaps the FIA will only rule on it after it's happened?
They have form on that after all ;)

I say give him a 20-place penalty and force him to start in the middle of turn 20, depending on where he qualifies...! He'd have to be told on radio when it is go!

Now there's an interesting idea TBY - space all the cars equidistantly around the course and give each one an individual timing beam and red/green light. Each car then has it's own finishing line as well.

At least there would be no more first corner pile ups, although I have considered suggesting they start the race on the 2nd lap to avoid this :snigger: I'm not sure if this would make the racing much better though; however, it would be bl@#dy confusing and give the commentators and time keepers something to think about. LOL

P2 results.

Unfortunately a lot of drivers were blocked or impeded in the last 10 minutes so we didn't get to see too many flying laps.

Pos  Driver       Team                  Time      Gap       Laps
1. Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1:48.650 31
2. Alonso Renault 1:48.924 + 0.274 27
3. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 1:48.952 + 0.302 30
4. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 1:49.098 + 0.448 31
5. Button Brawn-Mercedes 1:49.311 + 0.661 34
6. Webber Red Bull-Renault 1:49.317 + 0.667 14
7. Rosberg Williams-Toyota 1:49.333 + 0.683 33
8. Glock Toyota 1:49.342 + 0.692 30
9. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:49.358 + 0.708 28
10. Kubica BMW-Sauber 1:49.609 + 0.959 24
11. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 1:49.616 + 0.966 30
12. Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:49.710 + 1.060 31
13. Trulli Toyota 1:49.795 + 1.145 29
14. Raikkonen Ferrari 1:49.941 + 1.291 29
15. Nakajima Williams-Toyota 1:50.023 + 1.373 34
16. Fisichella Ferrari 1:50.253 + 1.603 31
17. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:50.527 + 1.877 29
18. Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1:50.605 + 1.955 28
19. Grosjean Renault 1:50.972 + 2.322 17
20. Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:51.423 + 2.773 31

RickD said:
If that happens tomorrow, I can see loads of penalties being thrown around..
Yes, me and c_a_t were just discussing that in Chat.

I hope it doesn't happen as there's nothing worse than a driver being penalised just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yeah, I hope not as well, not only does a driver get punished for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, the other driver gets a punishment if they can't complete a lap that will put them up the grid.

We have seen it too many times..

Oh, i would have joined you in chat, but this bloody work internet is the worst i've ever seen. No worries though, I finish here today.. :cheer:

Brogan said:
So is anyone prepared to risk their reputation by predicting pole and podium?
Ok, i'll take the bait.

Pole - Vettel as I believe the Red Bulls are going to go for a light agressive strategy.
Podium - Button, Barrichello, Hamilton as I think the Red Bulls strategy won't pay off.

It'll be wildly different to that, but I still hope Button will be on top. :thumbsup:

here are the bridgestone comments

Singapore GP: Practice notes - Bridgestone
25/09/2009
Bridgestone's super soft tyre proved to be the fastest rubber for the first running at night of the 2009 Formula One season as Sebastian Vettel topped the timesheets at the Marina Bay street course in Singapore.

Vettel set a 1:48.650 late in the second 90 minute session, as lap times dropped rapidly with the track surface improvement during the course of the hot and humid evening.

Bridgestone's soft tyre was the fastest in the first practice session where drivers tackled the slippery and dusty street course. Rubens Barrichello was quickest with a 1:50.179.

What was significant about today's running?
Hirohide Hamashima - Bridgestone Director of Motorsport Tyre Development: "Just like last year we saw the track start very slippery. This was due a dusty surface and no rubber laid down. We saw a few drivers get caught out by these conditions; however the surface improved a lot during the evening. The lap times today were around three seconds slower than last year, and I think the reason for this is mainly due to the circuit revisions which have re-profiled turn 1 and turn 10, making them tighter and slower."

How do you expect this allocation to work over the weekend?
HH: "Lap times decreased considerably during the evening and we think that this will continue tomorrow. The constantly evolving surface makes it difficult for teams to find the perfect set-up which is a good challenge for them and could provide some interesting results tomorrow. The super soft is quicker than the soft however we do not have sufficient data yet to know the exact difference. Both compounds showed good appearance and we didn't see any big issues with graining. We could see rear degradation on both, but this is likely to be due to the slippery conditions and this will improve as the track evolves."

I would love to see an onboard of Rosbergs lap in Q2, only the last corner was shown on TV and it looked stellar. Any idea where to find something like this?

Disappointing end to qually but TBH it was just about the order I would have predicted anyway except for the low spot for Heikki; I just hope no-one was too compromised by qually with a low fuel but without the chance to really show it.

The race is going to be tough to call though, a safety car could change everything and I would expect several cars to get it wrong at the absurd Singapore Sling chicane (they really could not come up with anything better than that? I understand the point of it is to ensure that cars are far enough apart that they cannot go over the bridge after 11-12 side by side but surely there is a better solution).

Back
Top Bottom