Singapore 2008 under investigation

i see where he coming from as Bernie has apparently admitted that the race shouldve been cancelled / annulled

In an interview with the F1-Insider website last month, Ecclestone said he and then FIA president Max Mosley knew of the situation “during the 2008 season.”

He added: “We decided not to do anything for now. We wanted to protect the sport and save it from a huge scandal. That's why I used angelic tongues to persuade my former driver Nelson Piquet to keep calm for the time being.

“Back then, there was a rule that a world championship classification after the FIA awards ceremony at the end of the year was untouchable. So Hamilton was presented with the trophy and everything was fine.

“We had enough information in time to investigate the matter. According to the statutes, we should have cancelled the race in Singapore under these conditions.“

but let it go felipe, being crown world champion 15 years later is not going to make you feel any better about 2008 disappointment. because those emotions will always live with you. you will never feel like a world champion because you got it through the courts

There's absolutely no suggestion that Massa wouldn't have sailed off down the pit lane, fuel rig in tow, with or without the Safety Car incident so he's knackered in that respect.

We all know the investigation found cough cough 'no evidence that anyone apart from those charged within the Renault team knew of the plan cough cough.

The only realistic solution would have been to deprive Alonso of the win making Rosberg the winner and shifting Hamilton up to second. Of course that doesn't help Massa either.

Who can Massa blame for spinning out of the lead and into the gravel at Malaysia or spinning 5 times in one race on a wet track at Silverstone in the same year?

As shit as that crashgate race was, Massa lost his own championship.

Basically, forget it Felipe.

thats some good points cider_and_toast because as they say in football if you get relegated on final day. they werent unlucky as if they were better over the previous 45 games then they wouldve stayed up. that where you lost it

looking at the stats before the finale, was on pole 5 times & only won from pole twice. then there the 14 pts he gave to lewis by retiring from the opening 2 races

Senile old man, likely in the early throws of dementia, tells story and everyone throws their arms up in horror. Anyway, if the FIA couldn't/wouldn't turn around the result in 2021 there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of 2008 being overturned.
in the unlikely event of anything happening they would just disqualify renault. & give nico rosberg statistically his 1st win & hamilton 2 more points

Screenshot_20230818_183031_Facebook.jpg

I hope he wins the case.

I can only imagine the carnage that would cause with other cases being launched.
im looking forward to the pandora box being opened & the revised history

1976 - Title goes to Lauda, because the finale was too wet & race shouldve been abandoned
1990 - Senna is disqualifed from 1990 championship for dangerous driving
1994 - Schumacher gets a 5 pt penalty for deliberately crashing into hill & taking his main rival out
1997 - Jean Alesi becomes a world champion, as Schumacher already thrown out, Williams & Mclaren are thrown out for fixing the ending of the race. with Villenueve, schumacher & coulthard thrown out. alesi becomes 1997 world champion

This is entirely down to two things, 1) the FIA's absolute refusal to change a result in the face of clear and actual wrong doing and 2) The willingness of teams to back down (get bought off?) and not legally challenge these scandalous decisions.

1990 Japanese GP, Senna drives at warp speed into the side of Prost and both go off at turn 1. Senna wins the title and the FIA take no action.

1994 Australian GP, Schumacher loses concentration and hits the wall, damaging his car. Hill speeds up to the back of the damaged Benetton and dives down the inside. Schumacher turns in in Hill and breaks Hills front left suspension. Schumacher wins the title The FIA take no action.

2008 Singapore GP. Much later but it is revealed that Nelson Piquet Jnr deliberately crashed to bring out a safety car while his team mate had been short fuelled, expecting an early stop. Piquet and Renault are found guilty of cheating. The FIA allow the result to stand.

2021 Bahrain GP. We all remember that one. The FIA race director went against his own regulations. The FIA take no action.

It's too late to do anything about these now. It should have been dealt with at the time.

This is entirely down to two things, 1) the FIA's absolute refusal to change a result in the face of clear and actual wrong doing and 2) The willingness of teams to back down (get bought off?) and not legally challenge these scandalous decisions.

1990 Japanese GP, Senna drives at warp speed into the side of Prost and both go off at turn 1. Senna wins the title and the FIA take no action.

1994 Australian GP, Schumacher loses concentration and hits the wall, damaging his car. Hill speeds up to the back of the damaged Benetton and dives down the inside. Schumacher turns in in Hill and breaks Hills front left suspension. Schumacher wins the title The FIA take no action.

2008 Singapore GP. Much later but it is revealed that Nelson Piquet Jnr deliberately crashed to bring out a safety car while his team mate had been short fuelled, expecting an early stop. Piquet and Renault are found guilty of cheating. The FIA allow the result to stand.

2021 Bahrain GP. We all remember that one. The FIA race director went against his own regulations. The FIA take no action.

It's too late to do anything about these now. It should have been dealt with at the time.
exactly yes these things shouldve been dealt with at the time. they werent & you cant change history, yes things shouldve been different. but sports rarely hinges on 1 moment.

prost 1990 - had 2 poor races at germany & imola in 1990

Hill 1994 - he had a poor 1st 4 races. schumacher took 4 wins & hill had 2nd 6th & 2 DNF's. you cant give someone a 33pt lead espically schumacher

Massa 2008 - dreadful race at silverstone, driving off with the fuel rig in singapore & retiring from the 1st 2 races

Hamilton 2021 - had his worst qualifying of the season at monaco. finished 7th max won 19pts lost & then brake magic issue at baku 18pts lost

I understand sport never hinges on a single moment and I've made the same argument about Massa's 2008 season but Massa's argument is invalid as he screwed up his Singapore pitstop. Nico Rosberg is the real winner of Singapore 2008.

If we look at Senna in 1990 for example, Schumacher's points were eliminated in 1997 because it made no difference to the world championship winner and his constructors points were allowed to stand. I believe had Schumacher taken Villeneuve out and won the title, the FIA would have let it go in exactly the same way as they did in 1990 or 1994.

I understand sport never hinges on a single moment and I've made the same argument about Massa's 2008 season but Massa's argument is invalid as he screwed up his Singapore pitstop. Nico Rosberg is the real winner of Singapore 2008.

If we look at Senna in 1990 for example, Schumacher's points were eliminated in 1997 because it made no difference to the world championship winner and his constructors points were allowed to stand. I believe had Schumacher taken Villeneuve out and won the title, the FIA would have let it go in exactly the same way as they did in 1990 or 1994.
i would agree that they probally wouldnt have done anything in 1997. i was saying 1997 is an interesting 1 because if you start with revising history like massa wants. i think jean alesi become world champion as schumacher thrown out & Williams & McLaren get retrospectively thrown out for race fixing. as didnt ron dennis admit it 10-15 years later.

yeah nico rosberg. mustve been sick at the end of that race & in a way its justice that he got his win with mercedes

Back
Top Bottom