Current Sebastian Vettel

Lots of threads have alluded to having a discussion about the current world champion so lets get it all off our collective chests (oooeer!)

Lots has been has been written about this young man from his testing debut with BMW Sauber in 2006 aged just 19 - he then progressed to the the toro rosso team for his first full race season in 2008 - the memorable race being his drive in the wet at Fuji where he managed to rear end his future team mate Mark Webber who said ""It's kids isn't it... kids with not enough experience – they do a good job and then they :censored: **** it all up." - Little was Mark to know he would be paired with the "Kid" just 2 years later.

His maiden win came at the 2008 Italian GP where he qualified up from, the race started under the safety car in the rain and the young German led from start to finish in the Toro Rosso - becoming the youngest winner of a grand prix ever.

Then we enter the era of the Red Bull. In 2009 he joined the Red Bull team, which got off to a torrid start as he managed to crash into Kubika in Australia, a feat he would go on to repeat during the 09 season.

Last year needs no mention........

So to the crux of the matter. Is Sebastian Vettel?

the real deal, the baby schumi, the new pretender - a genuine racer? - aka Wunderkind

or

A very quick driver, who lucked into a very fast car and can bang it on pole and lead from lights to flag and be the quickest pilot of a car, yet can't overtake for toffee? aka WunOrAother

035336-pn-image-sport-sebastian-vettel.jpg

Joe Saward is a creditable source so there is mileage in this rumour. Yeah Perez's contract will not be cheap as it is a 4 year contract. It does sound ridiculous but it is the assumption Vettel is still demanding $30 million or so which would meant he earned more than Hamilton who is rumoured to be offered only $20 million. Now Merc will say they can only offer $20m to Lewis because of the Corona virus impact BUT if Vettel is being offered more then where is the money coming from? Given Aston Martin themselves are not doing great either off track

Last edited:
F1Brits_90 Its obvious its Haas or Alfa ( I was about to say Sauber) given both need the money and can afford 1 place for an experienced driver

Funnily listening to the BBC podcast after Sunday they mentioned about the midfield battle between Racing Point, Renault and Mclaren being tight and joined by Ferrari . I think Jolyon mentioned Racing Point would be ahead if they had drivers the quality and caliber of Leclerc and Vettel ..it looks like they might land one of them

So does Stroll Snr want to manage a championship winning team to get his money back or does he want to pamper his son for which he has been doing for the last 10 years

everyone knows the person that should go if vettel joins & getting rid of perez is mad. its like getting rid of hamilton or Verstappen because Bottas or Albon dad runs the company which is mad

i really enjoy the bbc podcast

F1Brits_90 So when is Lawrence going to tell his boy to move elsewhere then ?I am expecting Lance to :teary: if it does happen? Is there any commercial pressures from Aston Martin/ Mercedes to deliver ?

unfortunately never, its shame that Stroll is beating perez because then you can make a case for him. but at the moment if vettel joins racing point which i think i called back when it was announce vettel was out. then it can only be 1 reason Lawrence stroll. because Perez has more Experience, Money, Talent & is Quicker

I appreciate some on here don't like Vettel, he's overrated, it was only because of the car, blah, blah, blah.

Now, put yourself in the position of Lawrence Stroll. You have bought an F1 team as you want to give your son a crack at driving at the pinnacle of motorsport so you're not going to sack him are you? Really, you're not!

Unexpectedly, a four time world champion becomes available on the driver market. Just read the first part of that sentence, 4 time world champion. A man who has won 53 Grands Prix, had 57 pole positions and 38 fastest laps.

You have another driver in your team. He's not your son, nor is he a 4 time world champion. Which driver are you going to get rid of? Seriously, to suggest that Racing Point or Aston Martin or whatever should keep Perez when Sebastian Vettel is available and willing to drive for you is just daft.

Also to remember, Lawrence Stroll is now part of a bigger picture, and has other investors to keep happy.

Signing Vettel would be a signal of intent, and would certainly help broaden the reach of the Aston Martin brand, in a similar way (albeit lesser) to David Beckham moving to LA.

As a businessman, I think it is clear, that if there is a decision to make, he knows what it should be
Whether he makes it or not, who knows.

FB he is a 4 time world champion but lets not forget he won his last title 7 years ago. schumacher was only a 6 yr gap between last title & his comeback. your F1 history is only relevant when you retire. until then its the here & now.

he has had very good chances to win the 2017 2018 & 2019 titles but in 17/18 he made many errors regressed to such a point that raikkonen was the better driver towards the end, then in 2019 his teammate in his rookie ferrari year outclassed him & as i write this leclerc just gone 6 tenths quicker in qualy simulation in FP3

[QUOTE="FB, post: 363523, member: 120"

You have another driver in your team. He's not your son, nor is he a 4 time world champion. Which driver are you going to get rid of? Seriously, to suggest that Racing Point or Aston Martin or whatever should keep Perez when Sebastian Vettel is available and willing to drive for you is just daft.
[/QUOTE]

Vettel is keeping everyone guessing about 2021 so there's no smoke without fire. The main stumbling block is paying off Perez or letting his sponsors go which is around $20m in total then on top of this the team has to pay Vettel's wages which us at least $30m . Unless Vettel drop his wage demands so the team has to find any additional $50m gap to plug at least which makes no sense financially unless they are sponsors who would be willing to pay for Vettel as well

Back
Top Bottom