Schumacher: Time to Quit?

By all accounts, Hülkenberg was rated very highly by Williams and only lost out due to a lack of funds; i.e. Maldonado bought his seat.

Personally I never really saw anything which made him stand out but I suppose he would be a candidate if Michael's seat was to become available.

Schumacher is currently between a rock and a hard place. He should have quit at the end of last season but now he is looking even more unlikely to do much. Shame. He most definitely should have quit while he was ahead a couple of years ago and not come back - the most sensible thing to have done.

It's fair to say that Schumachers return to F1 hasn't been plain sailing.

But to me he doesn't seem to have the desire to win or even fight for points. It's almost like he's sitting in the car waiting for his pay-check to go in the bank.

For me i'd like to see someone younger and fresher get a chance at the second seat in the Mercedes team to give Rosberg a much better challenge.

I'd personally like to see Schumacher in some form of motorsport still but F1 has moved on from his time in it. I'd love to see him in the DTM with his Brother as thats a series which seems to be on the up.

But would love to know your thoughts on Schumacher and whether he still has it?

In a totally non wumming way Schumachers return is exactly how I expected it to be. I do believe his stats are overexagerrated. I do consider him (version 1) to be one of the best just not as good as his results would say.

eg. Bridgestones made for him, teammates not allowed to compete, dominant machinery, ferrari's veto arrangements, FIA leniancy, unreliable McLarens, weaker field of drivers in general.

Now he has 3 disadvantages which COMBINED made his return form inevitable

-he has been out for 3 years
-no testing
-his age

Add to that a better team-mate and a crap car - he shouldn't have bothered really :(

haha what is slightly annoying is all the Ross Brawn interviews saying he will bounce back.

I'm not sure about the car it looks awful in the hands of Schumacher but good in the hands of Rosberg. Who has really impressed me since 2009.

Didn't Rosberg outqualify him by 11 tenths in Turkey? Any Rookie who did that would be booted straight out. But Schumcaher is allowed to stay because of his past. hmm.

It really is time he left for good. Blimey he had his debut grand prix the year I was born. :o

Here's some interesting news from the BBC website via AFP:

Former world champion Michael Schumacher has hinted he may be willing to prolong his return to Formula 1. Despite recent struggles, the German insists better things are to come and hinted he would be willing to extend his contract with Mercedes, which expires next year.

Bah i don't know, but i Think there a resurgence of some sorts.

The thing about schumi is (last season at least) it would not be odd to see him ahead of Rosberg in Free Pratice, but then struggle in quali and not being able to recover in the race even though in clear air he is on Rosbergs pace.

It doesn't smack of someone being 'past it' to me, a lot of other things but not 'past it'

Well I guess you could say that one Swallow does not make a spring but Schumi looked so much better in this race. I was almost cursing each time the cars behind opened their rear wings.

Schumacher did give the appearence of someone who was a lot more "with it" this weekend and for the first time since his return to the track I think we can say that he actually out did Rosberg and took the fight to the front of the field and it was a shame a great drive couldn't be rewarded with a podium.

I guess we will see if he has turned a corner or if Canada was nothing more than a stay of execution.

Interestingly in todays papers there was speculation that Mercedes were trying to line up Hamilton to replace Schumacher from 2013 onwards.

It really was a shame that he didn't get a podium, he was the fastest guy on the track for some time, even when he was passing people, unfortunately when the safety car came out he was the most vulnerable and disadvantaged...

However, even though he had a great race here, and was running much better than Rosberg in Monaco, I don't see him putting in such performances again, as this was one of his strongest circuits plus it was wet which he thrives in.

Although, as a big fan of his back in his day, it was really nice to cheer him on for a win today, sadly he got swamped.

Back
Top Bottom