Schumacher: Time to Quit?

When Schumacher joined it was reported he only gets £7m a year from Mercedes and the rest from sponsors

But it later transpired that he actually gets £20m from Mercedes - only Alonso earns more than him on base salary on the grid..yes this was at the time Mercedes said cost cutting because of global recession and sacked a few hundred factory workers in Stuttgart

The rest is made from sponsors and some of them were rival and personal sponsors which Schumacher was allowed to negotiate but Mercedes told Rosberg he was not allowed to have personal sponsors which were rivals to team sponsors

It would have been more embarrassing for Mercedes if Button won the world title in their partner team because they did not think he was worth keeping. Still being trounced by Mclaren does not look clever either

Norbert Haug is under severe pressure to deliver and has to justify as sporting director if Mercedes are really making use of their money with no results

I suspect this goes beyond Norbert...certainly some boardroom directors will be looking over their shoulder if Mercedes continue to be winless

The rumours that they are trying to run the team like a corporate division shows they haven't learnt their lessons from
the ill fated merger with Chrysler and how they messed the engine division for Mclaren when they took over from Ilmor.
I don't know what the big cheeses are thinking in not trusting Ross Brawn and his pedigree to sort things out and interfering with the team affairs

People noticed when it was Brawn the guests at the garage were more friendly and small family atmosphere..when it was taken over its more like a corporate function

the endless blaming on the car has to stop and someone will have to accept hiring Schumacher is a bad idea in the first place

When Schumacher joined it was reported he only gets £7m a year from Mercedes and the rest from sponsors

But it later transpired that he actually gets £20m from Mercedes - only Alonso earns more than him on base salary on the grid..yes this was at the time Mercedes said cost cutting because of global recession and sacked a few hundred factory workers in Stuttgart

The rest is made from sponsors and some of them were rival and personal sponsors which Schumacher was allowed to negotiate but Mercedes told Rosberg he was not allowed to have personal sponsors which were rivals to team sponsors

It would have been more embarrassing for Mercedes if Button won the world title in their partner team because they did not think he was worth keeping. Still being trounced by Mclaren does not look clever either

Norbert Haug is under severe pressure to deliver and has to justify as sporting director if Mercedes are really making use of their money with no results

I suspect this goes beyond Norbert...certainly some boardroom directors will be looking over their shoulder if Mercedes continue to be winless

The rumours that they are trying to run the team like a corporate division shows they haven't learnt their lessons from
the ill fated merger with Chrysler and how they messed the engine division for Mclaren when they took over from Ilmor.
I don't know what the big cheeses are thinking in not trusting Ross Brawn and his pedigree to sort things out and interfering with the team affairs

People noticed when it was Brawn the guests at the garage were more friendly and small family atmosphere..when it was taken over its more like a corporate function

the endless blaming on the car has to stop and someone will have to accept hiring Schumacher is a bad idea in the first place

Link?

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Norbert Haug has defended the company’s decision to increase its involvement in the sport while making cutbacks in other parts of its business, saying its costs are much lower than in the past and that its drivers’ salaries are paid for almost entirely by sponsors.

The German carmaker has taken over Brawn GP at a time when other manufacturers such as BMW, Honda and Toyota are quitting F1, and seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher is coming out of retirement to drive for the new team this season on a reported 7 million Euros deal, alongside compatriot Nico Rosberg.

A member of parent company Daimler’s supervisory board and Corporate Works Council, Erich Klemm, argued that Mercedes had missed a “chance to completely leave the costly and controversial circus”, while another supervisory board member, Uwe Werner, said the Schumacher decision was “hard to justify” amid the automobile world’s current crisis.

But Haug hit back: “Both statements do not take into account that with its own team, Daimler will next year be spending about 60 per cent less compared to the peak in 2005. With our new approach, within five years our costs have more than halved.

“In our F1 team, the drivers’ salary comes only from our sponsor partners and the commercial rights holder FOM [Formula One Management], not from Mercedes-Benz.”

That's a lovely piece of crap from Mr. Haug.

They're saying Schumacher and Rosberg are paid out of the prize money & the sponsor money! That is still allocated by Mercedes-Benz, I'm afraid, Norbert!

Every race we hear: This week it is Schumacher's salvation; he is setting blistering laps in Free Practice...

Nico Rosberg is simply too fast for him. And whilst the excuses rain down, the crown is still slipping.

I rest my case ... or more precisely Schumi and everyone who dusted him off today rested it for me. Wurz,Gene and Davidson showed yesterday that there is a life after F1 for those who chose to take it. Better than putting a gun to ones head, I think.

Back
Top Bottom