Rubens Barrichello

Now here's a driver who polarises opinion. A really nice bloke or a bitter man who should have grown a pair at Ferrari instead of bitching about it after he left. The most experienced driver ever in F1 but now, perhaps, past his sell by date? A brilliant car sorter who helped Jenson Button realise his title ambitions at Brawn or someone who failed to take an opportunity when it came his way?

Rubens Barrichello:

314 GP starts
11 wins (No. 25 in the list of GP winners - ahead of Ronnie Petersen but behind Alan Jones)
14 poles
17 fastest laps

Everyone's favourite No.2? The best choice Williams could could have made to lead there team or would they be better off without him?

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/s...ens-barrichello-seeking-sponsors-indycar-move

The Brazilian, who will turn 40 in May, said it's still an option to participate only on the road and street circuits.

"The possibility still exists," he said. "But I don't think I would feel good to be back in Brazil watching these races from TV. I would feel better being there, taking the risk and having fun."

Plus, he said he would enjoy having to learn all the tricks needed to do well on ovals.

"It would be a great challenge," Barrichello said. "I've been racing 19 years in F1, but this would be something I would have to do without any experience. It would be fascinating."

It seems as though, Emerson Fittipaldi has warned Rubens about the danger of American oval racing,

I remember when Mansell went over there and everyone was like 'he will damage himself' , 'its real dangerous for an F1 driver', 'Ovals with concrete walls are hard compared to dainty F1 with its off camber corners and chicanes'

Nigel fairly wasted them all and won the whole thing, I am sure Rubinho and his experience will be ok

I'm not a big fan of the IRL, the only races that I watch are the Indy 500, and the race at Road America, which is my favorite track here in the states. I definitely will follow the series now more intently, because of Rubins involvement!

Rubens in his element.

Rubens.jpg

I hope Barrichello's IndyCar career continues to go well, but at the Indy 500 he was driving with "a little more downforce than most, to make sure [he] was comfortable and safe", which would presumably also make him slightly slower than the rest. Now I can kind of understand that given the dangers of ovals, it being Barrichello's first oval race and wanting to race in the notorious Indy 500, but if you're not willing to risk pushing to the car's maximum potential perhaps you shouldn't be racing there and just don't do ovals.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/indycar-...d-to-be-rookie-of-the-year/?forceDesktop=true

Back
Top Bottom