Rookie of the Year 2011

Who will finish the season ahead?

• Total voters
Not the best of weekends for our rookies really was it?

All of them were out qualified by their team-mates in quali - d'Ambrosio by over a second! - and only Perez beat his team-mate in the race with a strange 'shouldn't have worked but somehow it did' one stop strategy. 11th was a good result for him though on a circuit it was obvious didn't suit the sauber much.

After a few good races Maldonado looked all over the place again and is awarded the best comedy moment for the moment on the TV footage where he rejoined the circuit as the leaders past by seemingly going in completely the wrong direction.

I think Paul Di Resta needs to hope that he gets a bit of 'people power' at Silverstone as Sutil put him to the sword this weekend and pushed that Force India to a 9th place finish beating both Renaults and a Merc which, lets face it, is above expectations. I think Mr Di Resta needs a good solid race to put the shine back on as currenlty he's not even doing as well realtively to what Liuzzi was in the FI last year.

Paul di Resta has gone down in my estimation since his initial good start.

He seems to have a habit of running into people and losing his front wing.
So although he's regularly out qualifying Sutil, he tends to get beaten in the races and therefore is well behind in the standings.

So far Pérez seems to be doing a relatively better job, notwithstanding his crash in Monaco which took him out for two races.

Current Rookie Standings:

14th Sergio Perez - 8pts
17th Paul Di Resta - 2pts
21st Jerome d'Ambrosio - 0pts
23rd Pastor Maldonado - 0pts
26th Danial Ricciardo - 0pts

Despite missing 2 races this season 'Chico' seems to be running away with this years rookie title and deservedly so. Maybe he needs to pick it up a bit in Quali but certainly has a nack of quietly making his way through the field and taking advantage as others make mistakes. I'm not making any predictions about his future yet but certainly has potential.

Di Resta and Maldonado seem to be suffering from the same problem. They excel themselves in Quali and then just dissapear backwards down the field. Believe it or not the 14th he scored at Silverstone is actually Maldonado's highest classified finish. Di Resta does have 2 10th places to his name but they way back at the begining of the year. You could argue both of them have been unlucky but both really need to clock some results up if they want to impress.

d'Ambrosio seems to have slipped behind his team-mate now but is still beating the HRTs so I guess he's doing ok if not brilliantly. As for new to the rookie scene Danial Ricciardo well he finished a full 70 seconds behind Liuzzi so can't say he's been an instant success - I guess we can't judge yet but who's ever heard of a future world champion finishing last in the British Grand Prix in their first race?

439x.jpg

Anyone?

Paul di Resta has gone down in my estimation since his initial good start.

He seems to have a habit of running into people and losing his front wing.
So although he's regularly out qualifying Sutil, he tends to get beaten in the races and therefore is well behind in the standings.

So far Pérez seems to be doing a relatively better job, notwithstanding his crash in Monaco which took him out for two races.

Can you really blame di Resta on Sunday?

As far as I am aware, the team messed his pitstop up dropping him from was it 6th? to 16th, while his team-mate pitted at the same time went from 9th-12th.

Find it harsh to blame him for how his Grand Prix went yesterday, him colliding with Buemi didn't do much to his race, only took out Buemi (which was a shame I like that dude).

Force India really do have some communication problems don't they? They did this last year too in Hungary, although they went a step further back then, putting the wrong tyres on both of their drivers :rolleyes:

I was doing my usual rookie watch again and I'm sorry to have to write it again but Paul Di Resta see's another chance of a good result go to waste. Whilst you can say he did well to come back through the field the fact remains that in the conditions this weekend the Force India had the better of both the Sauber and the Renault. His team-mate even got the better of the Mercs so even though the incident at the start was maybe not his fault I still see it as a wasted oppotunity for a big points haul - and the 'would have done well if...' excuses are starting to wear a little thin.

Perez I think had an avergae weekend. The Sauber was not at its best(too cold?) and Kobi had the best of him all weekend but to his credit 'chico' was not too far off Kobi's pace and I think 11th was reasonable enough for him without starting too many fires.

Maldonado equalled his best result with a 14th but you have to say we should have seen more from him this season with some of his qualifying results. To his credit though he continues to get the best of Rubens in Quali - just needs to convert it into race result - and quickly!

d'Ambrosio was pretty much 2 tenths a lap slower than Glock all weekend. Whether this is good or bad depends on your view of Glock I suppose. I'd mark him as above avergae for the season - and he still has Virgin's highest result of the season - which actually matches Maldonado.

and lastly Danial Ricciardio in his second race just about matched Liuzzi's pace all weekend and finished in front of Chandock (poor performance from him I have to say). As he finished 70 seconds behind Liuzzi in the race before you have to give the aussie a big tick in the plus box for that.

Another double post but I'll keep this thread going.

Paul Di Resta goes and shoves my words right back down my throat with a best of the rest drive. Not going to get too excited about it yet I want to see if he can build on it. That along with a below average drive from Perez has left the Rookie championship wide open with them level on points and Perez in front on countback. Although to be honest neither rookie is setting the world alight as both their teammates are in front of them and the only driver who has scored points who are behind them in the Champ table is Rubens Barrichello.

Another nothing race from Maldonado - saving all those tyres didn't work did it? should have shot for Q3 like he'd done before. The guy needs to score points soon if he wants to keep his drive.

d'Ambrosio didn't have a great weekend either - being almost a second slower than Glock at somepoints he was also beaten by our last rookie Danial Ricciardo who is the real big winner this weekend. Beat his team-mate and one of the Virgins on his 3rd race out - nice going kid. Outside bet on him being in a Red Bull next year?

Perez and di Resta are the ones to look out for.

The Sauber is ahead in the championship, but Force India have taken a big leap forward and have the faster car now.

As for Maldonado? I still believe they should have kept Hulkenberg...putting in one good performance doesn't take the "pay driver" tag for me.

Ok I'll update the rookies championship again. Table is as follows

1 - Perez 8pts

2 - Di Resta 8pts

3 - Maldonado 1pt

4 - d'Ambrosio 0pts

5 - Ricciardio 0pts

How did they all do in Spa? Well Maldonado finally got his first world championship point although he hardly won himself a lot of fans the day before did he? Needs to really turn it on for rest of season as with Grosjean and Senna now floating about and Williams with Renault engines he might be shown the door.

Maldonado's point at Spa came at the expense of Paul Di Resta who to me is becoming a bit like Father Christmas - as time goes on you believe in him less and less. He could still get rookie of the year but after his good result at Germany could really have done with following it up with a good result - especially with one of the front runners out and Spa being one of Force India's best tracks - but all he got was 11th compared to Sutils 7th. Was unlucky in quali but you can;t use that as an excuse as Maldonado started behind him! Monza is Force India's other strong track and needs a good result there!

Perez played a bit of dodgeum cars throughout and seem to have trouble finding his breaking points. Overall he was quick though. Prob would have scored some points if he hadn't had to retire

d'Ambrosio didn't hit the 107% this weekend which does not look good - however on race day he beat his team-mate Glock and did a faster race lap than him too - got his 4th best result of the season. its a good job but hardly spectacular though which has been d'Ambrosio's problem all season.

As for Ricciadro - was out qualified by 2 seconds by his team-mate which is not good. Seemed a lot better in the dry though and was as high up as 16th. Retired due to a 'vibration' in his HRT which seems odd.

Any thoughts?

While I still think Di Resta is the best rookie he really needs to get some points on the board, bad luck has played a part in that but there can be no denying that currently that Force India is good enough for Q3.

Back
Top Bottom