Ron Dennis replaces Martin Whitmarsh as CEO in coup

Ron Dennis once stated you have "10 aggressive years in F1" that was back in the 80's. Shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic anyone?

I hope McLaren has the guts to hire Hulkenberg for 2015 :)

I don't think Hülkenberg will ever drive for a top team because he is being managed by the wrong people.

Other than that McLaren have a driver development programme, and if Vandoorne wins the WSR next year and Magnussen proves to be the talent that he is expected to be, they might as well sign the young Belgian if Jenson decides to retire or they don't extend his contract.

Last edited:
Now I'm torn.

After thevsad death of John Button I was all firmly ready to tie my flag to the Jenson mast this year but I really don't think I could stand Ron's smug face.

I was getting my McLaren cap signed by Whitmarsh, I can't remember what I asked him about Ross (something about getting his attention for me) but he gave some sarcy response about Ross signing my cap (I had no intention of that btw). Should have done it.

Some very sad things have happened recently, Martin Whitmarsh being ousted isn't one of them. Should he be replaced as team principle by Ross Brawn, that would be a sensational coup! ... were it not for the fact that Lewis Hamilton is in a Mercedes. :givemestrength: remind me, just how many F1 championships have been won by committees?

I freakin' don't believe it! There must be some sort of temporal anomaly to explain this infernal cock up in the space time F1 continuum. :spank:

Martin is a nice bloke but people who are always in two minds shouldn't run F1 teams. :clip:

Last edited:
I think Coup is not quite accurate.

Ron Dennis was already Chairman and CEO of McLaren Group. In addition he owns 25% of McLaren Group which I think meant he was always defacto ultimately in charge. Martin Whitmarsh was CEO of McLaren Racing and Team Principal. This announcement means Martin Whitmarsh is no longer CEO of McLaren Racing which means his boss is now getting more involved in the team.

It's not a coup - it's a sign Whitmarsh has lost the confidence of his boss and key shareholder.

I do think Ron should look for a replacement. Whitmarsh has mismanaged the team grossly - not setting strong direction, making poor calls on strategy, mismanaging the driver contracts by hiring an idiot and losing the trust of Hamilton.

Last edited:
I do think Ron should look for a replacement. Whitmarsh has mismanaged the team grossly - not setting strong direction, making poor calls on strategy, mismanaging the driver contracts by hiring an idiot and losing the trust of Hamilton.

The Team Principle does not make calls on race strategy the chief race engineer does along with the drivers and the advice of strategist back at base and who was the idiot he hired that you say lost the confidence of Hamilton? do you know for sure why Lewis left to go to Mercedes? If Ron really wanted Lewis to stay he could have easily have stepped in and resolved the situation whatever it was after all he was Rons project not Martins and Lewis left when Ron was still CEO....

Also your analysis of the McLaren company structure is incorrect Martin was CEO of the entire thing for one year only not just the race team and now Ron has wrestled the postiton back from him where there is nothing stopping a company having more than one CEO the they don't as that would cause too many problems it would be like having two prime ministers or two presidents...

Next you'll be blaming MW for the global economic crisis or the trains not running on time

Last edited:
Maybe MW was getting too stretched. He was McLaren CEO, TP and FOTA chairman. Maybe less roles mean he can actually concentrate on just doing own thing and maybe getting it right.

Back
Top Bottom