Revised Points System

marksawatsky

Podium Finisher
Contributor
I believe the current points system does not adequately reflect the quality of the drivers and teams. How about adding these factors? If popular, let's get these suggestions to somebody who can make it happen.
Quickest Lap of race: 10 points
Quickest Pit Stop: 25 points to Team Championship
Half Race Leader: 5 points
Overtakes: 1 point per car

The trouble with points for overtakes would be that those people who regularly qualify high up would not get the same opportunities. I wouldn't be against points for fastest lap, but not as many as 10. But points for pit stops? Definitely not.

I think the points system is just fine as it is. Otherwise it'll just get too complicated. And a pit stop equivalent to a race win? :nah:

Last edited:
Fastest laps mean very little with the current tyres, in the Bridgestone days it maybe meant something but now it's just a matter of who pits last.

I think 5 points for pole position make sense, and also increasing point differce from 1st to 2nd to a magnitude where drivers can offset a DNF in just 2.5 races.

You shouldn't win anything for pole, apart from getting to start at the front of the field on Sunday. On the number of points needed to recover a DNF, it's the same for all the drivers and, typically, it evens out over a season (unless you are Mark Webber).

The entire point of racing is that the only thing that matters is where you finish. That's why you only get points for finishing position. This would be more gimmicky than double points.

Can I just add in my obligatory qualifying is not the race line?

It isn't. Call it part of the show all you like but the race is on Sunday.

I believe the current points system is fair as it is given

1st to 10th place is right given teams fight for the top 10 in constructors

there should not be any points for pole or fastest lap

- pole position - they've introduced the pole position trophy this season as a token gesture for recognised the fastest driver

- fastest laps - simply put on a new set of tyres after every 10 laps if you want it to chase it

I don't see the value of increasing the points margin so we end up with Nascar points system

- already the double points system has caused outrage and I think it will play a factor at the last race

NASCAR points actually aren't as terrible as they used to be. Back in the day it was like 190 points for a win or something absurd like that and then increments all the way down to like 40 for last place. Now its 47 for a win, then everybody else gets a point for every driver they finish in front of plus one. There is a 43 driver field so second gets 42, 43rd gets 1. Plus one point for leading a lap. Not too bad.

I don't think there's an ideal solution to be honest as they all have merit. In terms of the championship though, because so many cars are finishing races now they had to give them some sort of reward for it. Being honest, who didn't feel a little warm fuzzy feeling watching the party at Marrusia earlier on in the season?

I didn't think there was too much wrong with 10,6,4,3,2,1 to be honest but there you go.

At least we don't have to try and work out points from dropped races anymore which was a bloody nightmare back in the day.

You shouldn't win anything for pole, apart from getting to start at the front of the field on Sunday. On the number of points needed to recover a DNF, it's the same for all the drivers and, typically, it evens out over a season (unless you are Mark Webber).

On the contrary pole position is a sporting accomplishment. There is a reason we watch qualifying - its exciting. It should be viewed as a mini-event with a smaller prize associated with it. 5 points would be appropriate.

As for points evening out over a season - you yourself cited an example that illustrates it doesn't happen. 2.5 races should offset a DNF.

On the contrary pole position is a sporting accomplishment. There is a reason we watch qualifying - its exciting. It should be viewed as a mini-event with a smaller prize associated with it. 5 points would be appropriate.

Qualifying is exciting but it's not the race and it doesn't deserve any points.

Qualifying is exciting but it's not the race and it doesn't deserve any points.

I think that your position is just small mindedness.

I agree that it isn't the race but that's why the race has 30 points and qualifying should have 5 points.

Positions like the one you are taking is why some teams don't even bother to run in Q3. The FIA idiots have undermined the importance of qualifying with stupid rules making outcomes random and disinventing some teams from running.

In my view - qualifying should have a few points, and it should be organized as the fastest lap during 2 hours of continuous running with unlimited tires. The model should ensure the fastest driver/car combination is always on pole. This way we know who is fastest and who has the best race craft.

I like the idea of points for overtakes! I'm sure I could overtake Max Chilton at least 65 times every race.

Imagine team orders under points for overtakes. Teammates basically rotate positions on every straight and then for the last few laps you have a race for the flag.

Qualifying has never gained points in Formula 1 and I don't ever remember it being a cause of people being put off the sport. It's the same with overtakes; they are a means to an end, i.e. to get further up the field and into the points paying positions, not an end in themselves.

And team mates swapping positions to gain extra points (for leading a lap I think, rather than for overtaking) already happens in British Touring cars. It's stupid and pointless there and it would be equally stupid and pointless in F1.

:wave: marksawatsky

It's unfortunate that this is your first posting of a thread as I suspect it may not elicit as much discussion as befits your effort. That's because we had similar a discussion many moons ago when the points system was revised to the current format, and every now and again we chew it over when Bernie comes up with something like his suggestion for a medals system .

I originally wrote a comment that was very negative and perhaps a tad flippant so I deleted my initial thoughts as I fear my style of humour would have gone down like a sack of spuds if you're not yet familiar with my material.

So, taking your OP seriously - i.e. treating it with respect and ditching my usual flippancy - I'll share this much and I apologise for the fact that it isn't positive and I hope at least that you're not offended. I say this because you may well have been really pissed off about the original version :embarrassed::

So, I actually think the points system is okay although there is possibly too much of a gap between points for the win and second place and that the stupid double points at the last race should be ditched.

Awarding points for qualifying or fastest laps I feel would only increase the points gap between the guys in the faster, most dominant cars and the also rans. Yes, we might get balls out one lap wonders who can put in a fast lap in qualy' and fastest lap in the race scoring points they would otherwise not get, but a drivers' overall performance in the race is what counts. Outright speed is not the sum of the drivers ability. Can the bloke overtake people, avoid crashing, play fair, keep his head, look after the car and stay out of trouble yet finish higher than he starts, etc. etc. Loading points for overtakes and leading the race I would suggest again favours the dominant team and driver combo so I don't believe the extra points would be helpful or meaningful.

Having said all that, if points were to be awarded for every classified finisher and the prize fund was based on the points as a multiplier then there might be a purpose. It would require a significantly bigger share of the F1 income pot that currently lines the pockets of CVC shareholders to be redistributed to make the new system worthwhile. The upside would be more money for the less funded teams. The downside is that some sort of "success deduction" would be needed to apply to the big spenders who generally have the best packages. Otherwise they would get even more income and even fatter budgets totally negating the system. The thing is that proposal would be kicked out of the ball park quicker than a gnats blink due to the current power relationships in the structure of F1. The pecking order of a handful of "major teams" (no prizes for guessing who they are) wouldn't back it for selfish reasons and the sports owners (CVC shareholders) ain't going to share their luvverly lucre!

Of course, anything is possible if we get another political storm strong enough to prompt a breakaway series! Sorry, that's as positive as I can get on this one.

Finally, marksawatsky , don't be dispirited if we can't do your first thread justice. Welcome aboard Clip and keep on posting.

Fenders.

Back
Top Bottom