Revised Points System

Incredibly stupid actually. Late safety car screws everything up.

EDIT: Wow that sounded pretty mean. I do quite like the creative thinking there.

teabagyokel ...... Please explain teabag. I've never contributed to this thread or any other threads related to the points system, revised or otherwise and I'm not a follower of Max Chilton so directing your sales pitch to me is meaningless. :s

Just because I'm too lazy, who would be leading if you added all the times together for the races so, like the TdF, the winner is the one with the lowest total time. For a DNF you get 2 hours as this is the maximum length of a GP.

As no-one else has taken up the challenge.....:)

I am prepared to admit I've been quite sloppy putting these figures together so pull them apart as you see fit.

The 2 hours for a DNF is a bit too rigid. Most races have finished at between 1:30 and 1:40. Monaco and Hungary were around 1:50 so the penalty difference between a DNF and a win at those two is not great enough. GB is classified as 2:26 so that really messes things up.

However, for those races up to and including Austria:

Nico 47097.48 seconds
Fernando + 239.50 seconds
Lewis + 2838.47 seconds
Daniel + 2907.83 seconds

For all races (I used 2:50:00 as the DNF penalty time for the GB race):

Fernando 68674.54 seconds
Nico + 1037.21 seconds
Lewis + 2509.77 seconds
Daniel + 2649.73 seconds

For all races but EXCLUDING GB:

Nico 59511.75 seconds
Fernando + 290.80 seconds
Lewis + 2860.47 seconds
Daniel + 2954.03 seconds

I don't think these figures prove anything except that consistently finishing is important.

(P.S. Can anyone tell me how to use tabs or change to a font like Courier so that the layout looks better?)

Splash If you hit the sixth button from the left above the typy text box thing it will give you different font options. The button is labeled "font family" if you put the cursor over it and includes Courier New.

The current points system is alright. The points rewards decline more or less exponentially with a big additional winner's bonus. The only thing I do not like is the huge inflation (25 point for a win compared to 9 or 10 in the old days), which makes inter-temporal comparisons more difficult, but that's, of course, a consequence of giving points to the first 10 finishers. However, I like the 10-6-4-3-2-1 system very much. Maybe it encourages designers to take more risks to build a fast (but potentially unreliable) car, which is good for the show.

If someone can be bothered to do it I'd love to see what the 2014 drivers and constructors championship tables would look like if we were still using the 10-6-4-3-2-1 format.

Button would leapfrog Hulkenberg, Magnussen would leapfrog Massa, and Raikkonen would only just have got off the mark.
1 Nico Rosberg 73
2 Lewis Hamilton 70
3 Daniel Ricciardo 39
4 Fernando Alonso 26
5 Valtteri Bottas 20
6 Sebastian Vettel 19
8 Nico Hülkenberg 10
7 Jenson Button 12
11 Felipe Massa 5
9 Kevin Magnussen 6
10 Sergio Pérez 5
12 Kimi Räikkönen 1
13 Jean-Éric Vergne 0
14 Romain Grosjean 0
15 Daniil Kvyat 0
16 Jules Bianchi 0
17 Adrian Sutil 0
18 Marcus Ericsson 0
19 Pastor Maldonado 0
20 Esteban Gutiérrez 0
21 Max Chilton 0
22 Kamui Kobayashi 0

Good work Legs

Wow and I didn't think anything could make Kimi's season look any worse.

To be honest that looks a far more exciting table to me. Only the best 5 teams have scored points which is how it used to be.

Kinda makes a mockery out of the theory that the current points system is unfair on Lewis Hamilton doesn't it, I know the persons/person who puts forward this theory at every opportunity does not actually mention Lewis by name but that is what they/he means...

Back
Top Bottom