Renault guilty of race fixing

Is the penalty given to Renault fair?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No – too lenient

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sorry but this is the biggest load of horseshit I've heard all year, how can deliberately fixing a sporting contest essentially have no consequences?

Speshal said:
Sorry but this is the biggest load of horseshit I've heard all year, how can deliberately fixing a sporting contest essentially have no consequences?

Exactly, Speshal. The "punishment" is an absolute disgrace, especially when you consider the punishment given to McLaren in 2007 for a much less severe offence.

I cannot believe that Renault have got away with this! In true Scooby-Doo style I'm questioning the whereabouts of the meddling kids. It doesn't matter that the three people involved have left, the crime was commited under the name of the ING Renault F1 Team or Équipe ING Renault or whatever they call themselves nowadays.

Of course, Briatore is right to be out of motorsport 'till Doomsday, and a 5 year ban for Symonds seems fair enough if Briatore is considered the ringleader. However, it is still fair that Renault should have some competitive effects of their cheating; ie. they should be forced to miss at least a race or two as an example.

A suspended expulsion? What is the damn point?

teabagyokel said:
However, it is still fair that Renault should have some competitive effects of their cheating; ie. they should be forced to miss at least a race or two as an example.

Rightly or wrongly, I think the FIA is concerned that a tougher sentence (e.g. actual race ban or financial penalty) would have driven (no pun intended) Renault out of Formula 1 altogether, thereby leaving Red Bull and potentially Williams without an engine supplier next season (assuming that RB continue using Renault engines and Williams switch from Toyota).

I suspect that had something to do with it fat_jez, after all that was the supposed reason why the Valencia race ban was overturned.

However, as Ari Vatanen said, there are too many vested interests in F1 and the FIA.
Decisions like this on issues as important as this should be totally impartial so perhaps it's time the sport as a whole was reformed from the top down?

If that was the case (big fine = au revoir) then so be it. What that tels me is that Renault held the FIA to ransom.

What is needed instead is the penalties set out before the season starts, not decided after the event.

Brogan said:
However, as Ari Vatanen said, there are too many vested interests in F1 and the FIA.
Decisions like this on issues as important as this should be totally impartial so perhaps it's time the sport as a whole was reformed from the top down?

Absolutely. Who can name me another sport where certain competitors can hold the ruling body to ransom?

fat_jez said:
Brogan said:

Absolutely. Who can name me another sport where certain competitors can hold the ruling body to ransom?

Does getting suspiciously long periods of added time count?

Interesting comment from Martin Brundle on Radio 4 tonight when asked about a comparison with the McLaren fine he said rather than Renault's punishment being too lenient the McLaren fine was too harsh. Who suggested McLaren' lawyers are sharpening their pencils?

Eddie Jordan, in the same interview, reckons Frank Williams must be fuming that his driver hasn't been credited with the win. Quite agree.

Well the verdict would seem to satisfy only a small group; Renault, Bernie and Max.

Everyone else it would seem feels a little let down by the WMSC/FIA and in the case of McLaren and Rosberg/Williams, somewhat hard done by.

teabagyokel said:
fat_jez said:
Brogan said:

Does getting suspiciously long periods of added time count?

Who can you be referring to, TBY? :dunno:

There's little doubt in my mind that most other teams, if found guilty of this offence, would have had a far harsher penalty. Expect Renault to be on the grid next year as the FIA couldn't afford to lose them.

What do you expect them to do, you all want F1 racing to continue, this is the price you pay, as with all sports these days it is simply big business, ethics has nothing to do with it. So it goes on... but for me this is the lowest point ever, and F1 will NEVER be the same again.

Brogan said:
Well the verdict would seem to satisfy only a small group; Renault, Bernie and Max.

That is quite an interesting point Brogan - Max getting rid of one of his main rivals inside F1 does strike me as a little odd, especially considering that the Renault team have effectively got away with murder. As always in F1, there is more than meets the eye here...

Another interesting potential nail in the career of one Fatio Biscuit is the fact that the Football Association are now getting in on the act. One of the requirements under the FA's new "Proper Person" directive which is designed to weed out unsuitable chairman is that no chairman can serve if they have been banned from the administration of any other sporting body. According to Radio 5 the FA are writing to the FIA (why don't they just phone them??) to clarify Biscuits status within the FIA/F1 and if he is found to have breached the "proper persons" regulations then It's bye bye QPR.

Ah well, this was the man who gave his girlfriend an F1 drive. Not really a loss is it?

I mentioned that in the original "investigation" thread c_a_t.

It hasn't been a good week for Briatore has it?
Sacked Resigned from Renault
Banned from F1 for life.
His management company has been wound up as he can no longer manage any drivers involved in FIA events.
May well be forced/bought out of his QPR role.

Every cloud and all that :D

It's funny how it all ends in tears for so many of them in the end. Flabio went before he was pushed, Ron Dennis stood down after "taking one for the team" to get the FIA off Mclarens back. Even Colin Chapman would have finished his days in prison instead of at the helm of one of F1's greatest teams.

I think it's what happens when you've achieved sporting success. With it comes financial success. You can live without the one but you can't get enough of the other and the trouble is without the first you don't get the second.

There in is the downfall.

Spesh, In the early 80's Lotus cars won a contract with the British Government to provide engineering support to John Delorean and the Delorean car project which had built a manufacturing base in Northern Ireland with support and funding from the Northern Ireland Development Agency. The car in it's original form was a total lemon and Lotus were brought in to correct a lot of the early problems in design and attempt to produce something road worthy. During the course of this Delorean, Chapman and Fred Bushall (Chapmans Head of accounts) engineered a situation where Lotus were paid twice to conduct the work, Once by the British Government and once by Delorean. Some of the money found it's way into an overseas company registered to Lotus called GPD. This money then sort of vanished. The fact that the work was undertaken and undertaken well has never been disputed it's just what happenend to the money. A better explenation can be found in the book "Colin Chapman - Wayward Genius". The whole affair came to light after the Government called in the administrators in an attempt to salvage the Delorean company and recover some of the losses. After several years of investigation Fred Bushall was brought to trial in 1989. Delorean was also charged but could not be extradited and Chapman was listed as a co-conspiritor. At the climax of the trial Bushall was sentanced to (I think) 4 years for conspiracy to comit fraud (of which I think he served 2). The Lord Chief Justice incharge of the trial actually took the unusual step of saying at sentancing, had Chapman and Delorean stood in the dock today they would both have been sentanced to 10 years for their part in the affair.

It is believed the the strain of the Delorean affair plus the problems surrounding the Lotus type 88 and the fact that Lotus cars were having financial troubles contributed to Chapmans heart attack in Dec 1982. It's ironic that because of that heart attack his reputation remained largely intact because he never faced trial later that decade.

Back
Top Bottom