Races Entered 107
Race Wins 15
Pole Positions 20
Fastest Laps 12
Driver World Championships 1
Constructor World Championships 1

Team History

Before Red Bull

In 1997 Paul Stewart, aided by his father Jackie and the Ford Motor Company, made the leap from F3000 to F1 as an entrant. Jonny Herbert won 1 race for the Stewart team before it was sold off to Ford who re-branded the cars as Jaguar.

Ford stuck with it through thick and thin (mainly thin) through to the end of 2004 before selling the team to Dietrich Mateschitz, who owns the Red Bull drinks brand, for $1 on the understanding he invested $400 million over 3 years

Red Bull Racing

With Christian Horner installed as team principal, McLaren refugee David Coulthard and Christian Klien as the drivers Red Bull went racing. Their first season was certainly more successful than Jaguar had managed, even with the same Cosworth power plant, with Coulthard managing a 4th place at the European Grand Prix and the team finishing 7th in the Constructors Championship.

Adrian Newey joined from McLaren as chief designer for 2006 and Red Bull swapped to Ferrari engines. Coulthard managed a podium at his "home" race in Monaco prompting Christian Horner to jump naked, other than wearing a red cape, into a swimming pool.

Christian Klien, who shared the car with Vitantonio Liuzzi in 2005 and Robert Doornbos in 2006, departed the team for 2007 and was replaced by Mark Webber. The RB3 was the first full "Newey" car and was coupled with a Renault motor. The car was very unreliable, suffering from a variety of different problems but Webber managed a podium at the European Grand Prix and the team finished 5th in the WCC.

Retaining the same engine and drivers for 2008 Red Bull slipped back to 7th in the WCC and again only managed a single podium, for Coulthard in Canada, but the reliability issues which plagued the car the previous season were mainly resolved.

2009 was Red Bull's break through year. With Coulthard having retired Webber was joined by Red Bull junior driver Sebastien Vettel. The new rules allowed Newey to design a car which challenged for both the Drivers and Constructors Championship. Webber won 2 races, Vettel 4 and the team climbed to 2nd in WCC taking 3 pole positions en-route.

In 2010 Red Bull justified Mateschitz's investment winning the Constructors title and Vettel the Drivers Championship. They won 9 races through the season, 5 for Vettel and 4 for Webber and took 10 poles. Webber led the title race for much of the season but it was the 23 year old Vettel who stole the title in the last race of the season and became the youngest Champion as a result.

2011 sees the team retain the same driver line up as 2010 and continue with Renault engine power in the new RB7 car.

TR's dicate sensor count ...

5.10.4 ... only one homologated FIA fuel flow sensor may be fitted to the car which must be placed wholly within the fuel tank.

TR's dicate sensor count ...

5.10.4 ... only one homologated FIA fuel flow sensor may be fitted to the car which must be placed wholly within the fuel tank.
5.10.3 Homologated sensors must be fitted which directly measure the pressure, the temperature and the flow of the fuel supplied to the injectors, these signals must be supplied to the FIA data logger.
5.10.4 Only one homologated FIA fuel flow sensor may be fitted to the car which must be placed wholly within the fuel tank
If you'll bother to rear the entire TR, rather than cherry-picking details in support of your argument, you'll see that they give the fuel injector sensors equal status to the fuel mass flow sensor.

Last edited:
Is that your intepretation of 5.10.3 ... the "homologated sensors" referenced in 5.10.3 are distinct and separate fuel injector sensors compared to the fuel flow sensor refenced in 5.10.4 ?

This argument seems to have overflowed to another thread now as you argued the same thing (and were responded too) on the Malaysia GP thread.

I do have sympathy for Red Bull. Being a civil servent I constantly find any new IT programne rolled out atvwork is full of glitches and doesn't do what it was supposed to when I first get it. I don't however bring in my own more expensive laptop from home and start using that arguing its better though.

Also, if you speak/read the Queen's English, TR 5.10.4 quite clearly DOES NOT require that a homologated fuel mass flow sensor be mounted, much less used for anything. It reads "may be fitted," which indicates only that it is a permitted item. Nothing in 5.10.4 states it is required. It continues that IF a FMFS is mounted there can be no more than one, and the one must be mounted wholly within the fuel tank.

5.10.3, on the other hand, dictates that fuel injector sensors must be:
1. homologated
2. mounted to the fuel injectors
3. engaged in measuring "the pressure, the the temperature, and the flow of the fuel supplied to the injectors"

The regs have no spirit, only letters.

Red Bull violated nothing, apart TD/01614, which is itself in contravention of TR 5.10.4, because the majority of the devices the FIA are issuing fail to meet homologation spec.

Last edited:
Pastor Maldonado's fuel mass flow sensor was inop for the entire race at Melbourne. Yet he was not DQed because the stewards still could monitor his fuel flow rate via the telemetry sent from his injector rail. They invoked TD/01614 because his FMFS was failed outright.

Red Bull is being denied this same exemption -- use of data from the backup sensor as primary indicator of fuel flow rate -- because their FMFS still was sending a signal. The fact that the accuracy of the data contained in that signal failed to meet the standard for that device's homologation is irrelevant. In the view of the FIA, any signal equals good data, and hang any team doesn't agree to run on half fuel. Red Bull are arguing the sensor was failed as it failed to meet the FIA homologation standard, specifically article 3.1.1 (possibly 3.1.2 & 3.1.3 as well) and multiple terms within article 5.1.1.

So all Red Bull really need do is make certain that both their drivers start the race at Malaysia with failed FMFSs. Problem solved.

Technically Blog Zbod is right. There are two sensors - the fuel injector sensors (5.10.3) and the fuel flow sensor (5.10.3 as mounted inside the fuel tank). The way the Regs are written suggests that the former is mandatory and the latter is an option. Since Redbull have said they took their readings off the fuel rail which supplies the injectors, could it be that it was the fuel injector sensor installed to measure fuel flow that caused all the issues. With one injector per cylinder, you will need at least 6 sensors here to monitor the pressure supplied to each injector which the Regs state must not exceed 500bar

Last edited:
Pastor Maldonado's fuel mass flow sensor was inop for the entire race at Melbourne. Yet he was not DQed because the stewards still could monitor his fuel flow rate via the telemetry sent from his injector rail. They invoked TD/01614 because his FMFS was failed outright.
Maldonado only lasted 29laps though and the Lotus was probably burning more oil than fuel.

Last edited:
Is it just me who is getting mind numbingly bored with this debate now, why don't we just wait and see what happens this thing has now completely taken over two threads and nothing new is being said by either side, so either start a thread dedicated to the subject or just shut up about it. I can't even click on the Malaysian gp thread anymore because all it contains is a repeat of what is being said here....

I don't give a stuff anymore about TD 5.2.02.0.370.6 or TR 4.8.5.6.01.25.0 or CD Midge Ure, this means nothing to me....

Last edited:
After some careful deliberation I have come to the concl... no, reaffirmed by opinion that Christian Horner is indeed a giant arse.

He may have a point about the technical directive however, by choosing to ignore this one because they don't agree with "just an opinion" of the FIA (way to go with that one Horner, you turd) Red Bull gave themselves an unfair advantage against the rest of the field that day. They are talking in the region of 0.75 seconds lost if they followed the FIA sensor.

No. It was not lost. It was the same 0.75 seconds every team did not have.... oh what's that you say? But that would mean a level playing field? Well we can't have that at the mighty Red Bull! By using their own equipment thy gave themselves a 0.75 second unfair, unregulated advantage.

Pastor Maldonado's fuel mass flow sensor was inop for the entire race at Melbourne. Yet he was not DQed because the stewards still could monitor his fuel flow rate via the telemetry sent from his injector rail.

But they monitored the fuel flow rate of the Red Bull by telemetry and found it to be consistently in breach of the required amount.

Christian Horner is indeed a giant arse.

Okay, I wrote this before reading Quintessentially's post. Upon discovering [with a pinch of the salt required for all Daily Mail articles] Horner not only is a prat he reaches heights far greater than those occupied by 'giant arses' by splitting with the mother of his new baby and then shacking up with that buffoon ginger spice.

I therefore invite the forum to inform me what status is appropriate for Christian 'yeah no' Horner? Remember - it has to be bigger than giant arse.

I therefore invite the forum to inform me what status is appropriate for Christian 'yeah no' Horner? Remember - it has to be bigger than giant arse.

Small boy in a sweet shop, lots of pennies, a belief in his own brilliance and no conscience, perhaps?

Back
Top Bottom