Race statistics (especially overtaking data) and their relevance

RevMaxPower

Banned
In my view Overtaking Stats are meaningless and totally irrelevant - especially now they are monkeying with the actual PROCESS of an overtake with the use of artificial aids. Pointless...

How can the stats be pointless when it can be used to show how DRS/KERS has worked and how tweaking DRS affects the final result.

In my view Overtaking Stats are meaningless and totally irrelevant - especially now they are monkeying with the actual PROCESS of an overtake with the use of artificial aids. Pointless...

I disagree with you. However, it is wrong to take these statistics as a canonical reference. These statistics are neither irrelevant or pointless, but caution should be taken over the conclusions drawn.

Indeed.

We have been very careful on the main overtaking page to just record the data and facts, without any spin or bias.
It is also made clear that "it is not possible to draw anything other than the broadest conclusions from analysing across all data sets".

How others choose to interpret the data is entirely their prerogative :)

... and we all know the old addage "... statistics, statistics, damned lies and statistics" .. or was it "...damned lies, falsehoods, untruths and statistics .. " ... or ..... :thinking: There goes my brain again:bored:

Bald statistics are usually not lies. It is the nonsense interpretations of said statistics that causes problems.

Also, statistics are convenient to ignore if they appear to counter your viewpoint.

Race statistics such as overtaking details are nothing more than data collected AFTER the race. They have no influence on the race that has now just ended. Sorry but for me they are totally irrelevant because they have no bearing at all on the event I have recently enjoyed as a spectator. It is over and the winners declared. The Champagne has flowed and we've all gone home...

I'll leave you guys to it...

:wave:

But the overtaking itself has a big influence on the racing, the collection of the data enables us to take an in depth look at what happened in the race.

.... and to provide the evidence for, and fuel our debates, help us evaluate and understand the impact of rule changes, technological tweaks, etc. Look at all the fun we've been having on the value or otherwise of DRS, rubbish tyres, etc. In fear of being a bore I'll say it again if people want pass and bounce fest there are the "lower" formuli to follow.

Fenderman - I enjoy ALL types of Motorsport - I'm personally not into the trivia, that's all. We had a thread about "casual" fans a few days ago. I guess that would be me.

For me it is all about the here and now during an event. The excitement and thrill of the chase. BUT - when it's over, it's over. I then sit back and say - "Next!" (be it a Rally or BTCC, Hill Climb or Moto GP, an Air Race or Isle of Man TT, NASCAR or Drag Racing, Snowmobiles or Powerboats. I love it all.. I've even enjoyed Truck Racing and the lunatic racing events such as driving vehicles across the Channel staged on TV by the Top Gear Team...!)

One of my favourites of all time ( for the fun factor) was actually a lawn mower race...

:)

At least this year Alonso should be able to overtake Massa without having to "ask". You never know - maybe he can pass Petrov more easily too... (Hmmm - possibly not.)

:)

I would say statistics are relevant because when we look back on these races in years to come we will have less idea with what happened

Axle, I too enjoy many other forms of motorsport. My concern is the F1 may become dumbed down to the extent that it loses its place as the pinnacle of motorsport. In some respects I personally think it really lost that accolade to Le Mans prototypes a long time ago since the prototype series have at least embraced the technological challenges of alternative fuels. Like F1 they have exploited refinements in aero design to the Nth degree and experimented with all the othe tech' advancements in rolling chassis design, etc. F1's one remaining claim that I wouldn't challenge is that F1 cars are the fastest racing cars on the planet (excluding those drag things that only go faster in a straight line, of course).:)

That's why the statistics interest me as they tell me parts of the story I don't get to see through the narrow window of my TV or, on the rare occasion I make it trackside, the limited view I get from a particular location.

Indy cars go a tad faster in circles...

Axle Tramp said:
I enjoy ALL types of Motorsport - I'm personally not into the trivia, that's all. We had a thread about "casual" fans a few days ago. I guess that would be me.

Mmmm? Your participation in this forum would suggest that you have more than a casual or passing interest in F1, what it does, why it does what it does, how it has got where it is and where it is going.

Axle, I too enjoy many other forms of motorsport. My concern is the F1 may become dumbed down to the extent that it loses its place as the pinnacle of motorsport. In some respects I personally think it really lost that accolade to Le Mans prototypes a long time ago since the prototype series have at least embraced the technological challenges of alternative fuels. Like F1 they have exploited refinements in aero design to the Nth degree and experimented with all the othe tech' advancements in rolling chassis design, etc. F1's one remaining claim that I wouldn't challenge is that F1 cars are the fastest racing cars on the planet (excluding those drag things that only go faster in a straight line, of course).:)

That's why the statistics interest me as they tell me parts of the story I don't get to see through the narrow window of my TV or, on the rare occasion I make it trackside, the limited view I get from a particular location.

That is also my opinion.:yes:

Just in case I forget to mention it elsewhere as it is also pertinent as to why the collection and dissemination of stat's is of great value I would like to add this thought for the day ...

... what a great tool statistics are for unlocking the wealth of knowledge possessed by the learned members of this forum. I have been computer literate from the days of BBC Basic and the ZX80 and Commodore 62 and yet I resisted the whole interweb social network scene as I thought it was infested with incurable nerdiness and argumentative twerps ... UNTIL Clip the Apex was brought to my attention. Yup, I had thought all intelligence on the computer was artificial. So glad to know I was wrong.

:goodday:'s off to Brogan and Mod's who know their business.

Sorry, if there's another thread for this sort of thing. Just thought it was a good opportunity. :)

Back
Top Bottom