Race statistics (especially overtaking data) and their relevance

You can prove anything with statisitcs and 65% of people know this.

I do find in intersting looking at all the data but I don't get carried away with it all. Someone once tried to convince me that Kimi Räikkönen should be in everyone's top 5 drivers of all time because the only people to score more fastest laps than him were Schumacher and Prost.

At the end of the day the only stats that matter are the one's on the World Championship table. Hopefully someone will tell Mr Vettel this before he gets too carried away.

Have you noticed how much less fixated on fastest laps he is this year? Perhaps now he's got a WC under his belt he realises that now....

I just went and checked that and you're right - Vettel hasn't scored the fastest lap in any race this season - in fact all but one of them has gone to Mark Webber! go figure!

Have you noticed how much less fixated on fastest laps he is this year? Perhaps now he's got a WC under his belt he realises that now....

I think its more to do with the fact that when he wasn't going to win a race, he revved up for fastest lap as a consolation. Now he's winning, there's no need to think like that!

I think its more to do with the fact that when he wasn't going to win a race, he revved up for fastest lap as a consolation. Now he's winning, there's no need to think like that!

Oh, I don't know. In 2009 and 2010 (once he had a winning car under him) he took both the win and FL a total of 6 times from a win tally of 9. That's a very high percentage. This year he's 0 for 3, and more to the point he doesn't even seem to be thinking about it.

I think this year we have seen Seb take off at the front and cruise while the others beat each other up. No need to pump in fastest laps if you don't have to catch someone up or defend your position. We'll see what he does tomorrow - might see a fastest race lap out him in Spain.

Back
Top Bottom