QWC 2012

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
Once again, this year I will be showing who is successful on Saturdays, and see if three-time Champion Sebastian Vettel defends his Saturday crown.

It is no surprise that the table stands thus...

QWC.png

... and we'll see this weekend if McLaren can maintain their early lead.

So, another one-two for the Men in Anthracite and thus the new table looks like this...

QWC.png

All 9 of the "senior" teams in Formula One have already had a representative in the final qualifying session, though the major points have been split between Lotus Renault, Mercedes, Red Bull and McLaren.

So, a great session for Mercedes and Sauber. Hamilton is still classified 2nd due to the "penalty factored out" rule, and thus denies Kobayashi an even grander entrance.

QWC.png

Thus the graph looks like this:

QWDC.png

I've given Alonso the points for 9th and di Resta the points from 10th under the presumption that they set their sector times in that order of speed.

So, a qualifying session that was so 2011 here, and defending triple-champion Sebastian Vettel takes his first pole of the season. This moves him up to 6th in the standings amidst a tightly contested group competing for 2nd place behind dominant leader Lewis Hamilton.

QWC.png

The graph shows how close that rabble are, and the movement this weekend of Daniel Ricciardo. I've left Hamilton off to show in more clarity the rest:
QWDC.png

Meanwhile, McLaren are even further clear in the Constructors race - and again I've omitted the end of their run. Red Bull are of course the biggest movers, going from competition with Lotus to competition with Mercedes for 2nd place.

QWCC.png

Wow this just illustrates that Hamilton has consistently performed well on Saturday in 2012. But it also shows that he hasn't been able to maintain this performance on Sunday because he's 23 points behind his qualifying tally. Whereas Button is 1 point up on his qualifying score.

Tough one, decision to be made. A principle of QWC is that I ignore grid penalties. But this is not a grid penalty, its an exclusion. I looked up what I did for Monaco 2006 - the last qualifying exclusion. I did not give Schumi the 10 points then, so to be consistent, Lewis takes nul points today.

That is good news, of course, for Pastor Maldonado. However, Mr. Hamilton still maintains a significant lead, as does his beleaguered constructor.

CTA.png

CTA.png

CTA.png

Even with an almost washout, no-one is even close to catching, but Williams and Ferrari are our climbers today.

So Schumacher takes a victory in QWC, and he heads on up to second place on the leaderboard:

CTA.png

I've omitted the top of the Hamilton line from this graph (its slowed down, but he's still too consistent):

CTA.png

Button's recent wobble has put him behind the Mercedes and into the grasp of Webber, Grosjean and Vettel, who has a neat 12 point gap to Raikkonen to form a leading group. Alonso moves back passed Maldonado, Senna is still MIA (along with Vergne and the Slow Six). In the Constructors, its practically the same story, but great day for Ferrari:

CTA.png

Its... CANADA! And in a spectacularly disjointed season - one man has the consistency in qualifying...

CTA.png

Even considering that his Spanish 'pole' has not been included here, Hamilton is still more than a win clear of the field. Button continues to fall down the order - he's now behind Grosjean too. And there are three drivers remarkably on the same points: Schumacher and the two Red Bull pilots.

CTA.png

Again, Hamilton is so far clear I have elected to leave the top of his line off the chart. As for the Constructors', Ferrari have jumped clear of the pack into a clear fifth in the last two races, while Mercedes just hold off the charging Red Bulls for 2nd.

CTA.png

This shows what a great job di Resta is doing. It also highlights that Vergne isn't a good qualifier, as he's the only driver not in tthe new teams to have not made Q3. Looks like Ferrari have really picked their game up since Spain, Hamilton driving beautifully on Saturday again.

European GP o'clock, and although Vettel has taken three poles from his last three actual attempts to set a time, his lack of consistency means he trails in 2nd. But at least the triple champion is back up to second...:

CTA.png

I'll include Hamilton's line this time, just because people ought not forget what it looks like:

CTA.png

And a close up on the battle below the top 3 teams (and Grosjean):

CTA.png

The thing to notice here is how Maldonado is now level on points with Raikkonen without a lot of actual appearences in the Top 10! Also the Saubers seem to alternate in effectiveness.

CTA.png

Movement for Red Bull, Williams and Force India!

Nice thread TBY :). Really show's that on Saturday Mclaren had the pace in the early part of the season, but when it comes to Sunday it is much more of a level playing field.

Indeed for all the talk of unpredictability, in qualifying there are currently 7 drivers who are visibly running away with this - with Button and Schumacher looking like they're going to drop out and leave it to Hamilton, Vettel, Webber (when his DRS is working), Rosberg and Grosjean.

Silverstone:

CTA.png

A pole from Alonso brings him up to equal 6th with Grosjean, who is the only driver to score in every race. Schumacher and Webber's grid positions move them up to 3rd and 4th respectively, and Hamilton's lead continues to dwindle. Button has added 4 points to his tally since Bahrain:

CTA.png

Ferrari eat up some of the distance to the top 4, while Red Bull have vaulted from 3rd to 1st in only 2 qualifying sessions. Williams pull clear of Sauber for 6th:

CTA.png

Did anyone see Sky with a QWC graphic before the race? They, however, failed to note that Lewis Hamilton was excluded from Spanish GP qualifying and thus gave him a bigger lead than I would have. Here's the current situation:

CTA.png

Hamilton's once mammoth lead is once again reduced, while Maldonado jumps back in front of Raikkonen. Nico Rosberg's 39 point lead over Alonso two weeks ago has disappeared as a double pole moves the Spaniard into fifth. Hulkenburg jumps Ricciardo and is just behind the two Saubers.

CTA.png

The big story in the constructors is that Ferrari have nearly caught Lotus for 4th place. Williams are, impressively, 21 points clear of Sauber despite only having one scoring car:

CTA.png

Back
Top Bottom