Qualifying restructured

The Pits

My understanding of the rules suggest that the teams won't be able to just sit in the pits; they may be able to change tyres, but as far as I can tell, that's it - they will have to continue circulating all session....

That being the case, I would like that. After all, I can recall much moaning when teams did not let their drivers out during qualifying etc.

No, I think that there are far bigger issues in F1 to get wound up about at the moment, and whilst this may be unnecessary, I do not see it as something I should waste any negative energy on.

So Q1 starts, all the cars have to go out (actually they should go out before the start because the rule says that they have to be on the circuit for the whole of the session) most on the fastest tyre available. The do a warm-up lap, then a flying lap, so now their tyres are knackered. They spend the rest of the time circulating with no hope of improving their time. After 7 minutes a message goes out for number x to come in, followed by similar messages every 90 seconds. Q2 is a copy of this except that everyone goes out on the quickest tyre available. Q3 is a copy of Q2, finishing with two cars circulating slowly having taken the best out of their tyres on the second lap.

Exciting? Noooooooo!

Nowhere does it say that any car can fit new tyres after the start of a session so we must believe what they say.

Why is it that every sport that I know anything about has at it's head either people who are milking it for as much money as they can or else are incompetent?

Why is it that every sport that I know anything about has at it's head either people who are milking it for as much money as they can or else are incompetent?
I think you'll find that every sport has at it's head a governing body and promoter that is incompetent and milking it for as much as they can get.

It's also true of every nation in the World...

It would make sense if they did it for the first two sessions and then the first 10 minutes of Q3 so cars will be out.

Not a fan of it running throughout all of Q3.

I like it. Instead of it being a mad rush at the end of every session, theres going to be constant action because if you have 1 bad lap, you could be out.

You know when you watch those elimination races in the track cycling at the Olympics - I hope it'll be like that!

In the original article on Autosport (?) it said that all the cars had to be on the track all the time, however since than there has been no mention of that part. Maybe someone has seen some sense since then, but this is F1.

I couldn't find anything about it from FIA.com but from F1.com (F1 set for new elimination-style qualifying format):

"The exact structure, and the date of introduction, will now be analysed and evaluated ahead of a vote by the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council next week."

I think as the main fan reaction has been that this is a suite idea FOM have decided to play a stalling tactic. I reckon it might never see the light of day.

Reminds me of the whole 'medals' fiasco a few years back but with the sides switched round.

Whilst we're rethinking the quali format can we go back to the Saturday third driver sprint race thing? That I'd like to see.

Like ist's that hard to write software in a couple of weeks.

After seeing the laps Merc did and this new shiite idea of qualifying my anticipation for the new season is already gone.

This would aswell be bad for the reliability of the power unit, I would assume. Since they have to do an extra race and most of them would have to push all the way though Q1->Q3. Well it won't be bad for Merc.

Back
Top Bottom